It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Which song has the best singing performance, ever?

page: 1
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

"Which song has the best singing performance, ever?"



Title says it all!

For me, I'd say "The great gig in the sky" - Pink Floyd





"The Great Gig in the Sky" is the fifth track[1] from English progressive rock band Pink Floyd's 1973 album The Dark Side of the Moon. It features voice instrumental music by Clare Torry. The song was called either "The Religion Song" or "The Mortality Sequence" during recording.
Clare Torry had worked previously with Alan Parsons and he suggested her for the song, and had an accountant at Abbey Road Studios call her.[2][3][4]
David Gilmour said that she did "maybe half a dozen takes, and then afterwards we compiled the final performance out of all the bits. It wasn't done in one single take."[5]

Roger Waters said that Clare came into the studio and the group said that "there's no lyrics. It's about dying".[2]

Torry said that on her first take she sang "Ooh-aah, baby, baby - yeah, yeah, yeah." That wasn't satisfactory and on the next take she tried to emulate an instrument, which is the take used on the album. She started to perform another take but stopped because she was just repeating her previous take and it sounded "contrived".[3]


Chris Thomas, who was brought in to assist Alan Parsons in mixing the album mentions that they were actually in mixdown at the time. On the DVD Classic Albums: Pink Floyd - The Making of The Dark Side of the Moon, various members mention that they had this song and weren't quite sure what to do with it. Wright further mentions that when she finished, she was apologetic about her performance even though those present were amazed at her improvisation. (Roger Waters interview, Classic Albums: Pink Floyd - The Making of The Dark Side of the Moon)


Torry left thinking that her vocal tracks would not be included on the final cut. She only became aware that her takes were used when she saw the album at a local record store, saw her name in the credits and purchased it.[3]

en.wikipedia.org...



I find this improvisation so full of emotion.. It makes me cry sometimes... Clare Torry is awsome..

So for you guys, which song would deserve the "prize" of the best vocal performance ever?





posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Are we allowed to bump?



posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
The best of all time is REALLY hard to choose, but one of my favorite vocals is from this:



[edit on 5/7/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]



posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
The best of all time is REALLY hard to choose, but one of my favorite vocals is from this:



[edit on 5/7/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]


I'm not a big fan of Christina Aguilera but I got to agree, it's a good performance!

Thanks for posting!



posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jolois
 

That's not easy to answer. Your choice is really something. Her singing is as same as everything else, then it's about the PF....A category all by itself.
CA is also amazing. Faves are "Hurt" and "Beautiful".




posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by flymetothemoon
reply to post by jolois
 

That's not easy to answer. Your choice is really something. Her singing is as same as everything else, then it's about the PF....A category all by itself.
CA is also amazing. Faves are "Hurt" and "Beautiful".



Yeah PF is a category by itself... but what made choose this was the overall song... The mood of this song,etc. Still my favorite


Do you mind posting the songs your talking about? I'd like to hear them


Cheers!



posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
After the Organ solo... Her voice just blows me away man... the whole song is beautiful but the latter part is sensational.






Unfortunately the second one is not on youtube, neither were several others


But here is a link to a slightly average (sound quality) version
Link



posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
After the Organ solo... Her voice just blows me away man... the whole song is beautiful but the latter part is sensational.






Unfortunately the second one is not on youtube, neither were several others


But here is a link to a slightly average (sound quality) version
Link


Not really my style of music but her voice is really great, especially the last part yep!
Thanks for posting and sharing!



posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jolois
 



And a part of an interview "Making of the DSOTM", The great gig in the sky...



posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by flymetothemoon
reply to post by jolois
 



And a part of an interview "Making of the DSOTM", The great gig in the sky...




Wow nice video (making of DSOTM)! Thanks alot was very cool to see!
And I can't see the CA video.. will check on youtube



posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
You ll Never Walk Alone - by Elvis Presley is a great gospel performance. You could search the world over twenty times and won't find someone to sing it any better today IMHO or in the future.




posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voyager1
You ll Never Walk Alone - by Elvis Presley is a great gospel performance. You could search the world over twenty times and won't find someone to sing it any better today IMHO or in the future.





I agree it's pretty awsome.. I rarely listen to Elvis but this one is great!



posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
This is one of my favorite vocal performances:



Music videos were really lame back then weren't they? Luckily, they made up for it with some really high quality music.

Laura Branigan could really belt out those songs. About half of Celene Dion's hits are rip-offs of old Laura Branigan songs.



Edit to add some more:



Whoa, that vid had a freaky "Eyes wide shut" feel.






My wife is a big CHiPs fan so I felt obliged to inclued this one:



Laura Branigan - July 3rd 1957-August 26th 2004 In loving Memory...



Man, I used to have the biggest crush on her.




[edit on 5/9/10 by FortAnthem]



posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Not very my style honestly... but I respect your opinion





posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Here's another Eva Cassidy...I really like this one a lot.



[edit on 12-5-2010 by BRQuick]



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jolois
 


I guess I was showing my age with that one. That was music from a different time when my life was much simpler. You have to admit thought, that girl had one great set of pipes.


I can see why some might be turned off by her singing though. Her music had a very melancholy saddness to it that tends to bring you down if you listen to it too much.

[edit on 5/12/10 by FortAnthem]



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by jolois
 


I guess I was showing my age with that one. That was music from a different time when my life was much simpler. You have to admit thought, that girl had one great set of pipes.


I can see why some might be turned off by her singing though. Her music had a very melancholy saddness to it that tends to bring you down if you listen to it too much.

[edit on 5/12/10 by FortAnthem]


Ahaha
Yep! But indeed, she "had one great set of pipes.." !


@BRQuick - Very cool singing! I love how she sings.. with her guitar too! It's a very good composition and her voice is very "adapted" for this song!

Thanks for sharing!



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by BRQuick
 




I think Eva has one of the best voices ever.... It's subjective of course but her range is incredible.... Her tone amazing too.

She is the complete and perfect singer.

And not particularly well know either.... although she has got some of the recognition she deserves, she'll never be as big as she should be, and that's sad.

Having died before she got "famous" so to speak, it's very sad indeed.

And she's as good live as on the CD's and that cannot be said about enough Singers.



[edit on 12/5/10 by blupblup]



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   


Cant beat old freddie!!




posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by BRQuick
 




I think Eva has one of the best voices ever.... It's subjective of course but her range is incredible.... Her tone amazing too.

She is the complete and perfect singer.

And not particularly well know either.... although she has got some of the recognition she deserves, she'll never be as big as she should be, and that's sad.

And she's as good live as on the CD's and that cannot be said about enough Singers.


I can understand.. she is very good


Oh and yep, freddie rocks! Queen is a very good group, even if I don't listen much to them...



new topics

top topics



 
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join