It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Lawmakers Launch States' Rights Task Force

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Republican Lawmakers Launch States' Rights Task Force

www.foxnews.com

A group of Republican lawmakers launched a task force on Thursday that seeks to reclaim the powers they say the federal government has unconstitutionally taken away from the 50 states.

The 10th Amendment Task Force, a project of the Republican Study Committee, will develop and promote proposals that aim to usher in what supporters are calling a "New Era of Federalism."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
They'll have to forgive me if I'm not overly impressed by this. Yeah, a taskforce to watch out for states' rights sounds like a good thing, but coming from anyone currently in office right now it's nothing more than their latest attempt to not get voted out of office come November.

According to the article, Rep. Rob Bishop of Utah acknowledged that the size of the federal government has grown under both the Republicans and the Democrats. His acknowledgment is too little, too late if you ask me.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Hitler is now campaigning for jewish rights?

Same thing really. Bush went even more over state rights than Clinton, and Obama is doing even worse.

It's been going down that road since that piece of garbage Lincoln.

Time to rectify that.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Good for them. I'm glad one of the two major parties is at least willing to talk about states' rights. That said, given their track record over the last decade, I'll believe that they're sincere when I see it.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Hitler is now campaigning for jewish rights?

Pretty much, yes. I just don't understand how they can possibly expect anyone to take them seriously with this. They are part of the problem, but we are supposed to believe they've turned a new leaf all of a sudden and want to start putting the states back in control of the things they were supposed to have control of all along?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

You should blame the South as without them Lincoln wouldn't have been anything special. All Lincoln would have done was ban slavery in Federal Territories and thus new states formed from said territories. If the Southern Plantation society had just accepted that we would have a much more Libertarian society today.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by danwild6
reply to post by Vitchilo

You should blame the South as without them Lincoln wouldn't have been anything special. All Lincoln would have done was ban slavery in Federal Territories and thus new states formed from said territories. If the Southern Plantation society had just accepted that we would have a much more Libertarian society today.

The civil war was not about slavery.It was about the north getting rich and fat off the labor and misery of the south.Only 5% of the south owned slaves(maybe even less if i got my statistics wrong).So dont blame the south blame lincoln...he was a tyrant.

Many black people dont even know that lincoln did not care about them and was as racist as they make the Confederacy out to be.

He only declared the emancipation proclamation two years after the war started.In fact its been documented that many divisons went home and declared they would not fight...because they were not fighting for black slaves...they were fighting to keep the union together.

The states had a constitutional right to seperate from the union under the 10thn ammendment.The north was tyrannical and taxed the south to death....something the founders STARTED the country from.

The founders would have sided with the south.

So dont blame the south....blame the north and lincoln.

always remember HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY THE VICTORS.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
According to the article, Rep. Rob Bishop of Utah acknowledged that the size of the federal government has grown under both the Republicans and the Democrats. His acknowledgment is too little, too late if you ask me.

A couple of the reps involved in this have pretty good voting records in congress & likely will be re-elected by their states. I can't speak for the rest.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I just wonder if this is related to that TRAP nonsense that everyone was so worked up about a few weeks ago? Like vor78 said, their veracity is in actions, not words.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by zzombie
A couple of the reps involved in this have pretty good voting records in congress & likely will be re-elected by their states. I can't speak for the rest.

It's good to hear that some of them do. I just worry that this is nothing more than a ploy to gain votes in the upcoming elections. It's not something I would put past either side at this point because they know a decent-sized section of voters are pretty irate with them right now.

reply to post by warpcrafter

What TRAP nonsense? Do you have any links you could point me to? I think I may have missed it.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Just an opinion, I think it has more to do with some states asserting 10th amendment rights with regard to the federal government. Citizens and lawmakers in some states see the writing on the wall. As you said it might be a little too late. The 2 reps I know involved with that will have no problems with re-election, and are well respected by their constituents. Their track record is way the above average scumbag sellouts in con-gress.

I believe warpcrafter is referring to "The Restore America Plan".
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by tauempire

The info about Lincoln is about spot on. What triggered the civil war was massive increases in tariffs placed on southern products by the north.

This was all but written out of the history books too.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Thanks for the link.
I vaguely remember glancing at that thread, but it didn't come immediately to mind when trying to figure out what TARP might stand for.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by tauempire
The civil war was not about slavery.It was about the north getting rich and fat off the labor and misery of the south.Only 5% of the south owned slaves(maybe even less if i got my statistics wrong).So dont blame the south blame lincoln...he was a tyrant.

Pure BS, Slavery was at the heart of it. The civil war was about southern planation society escaping from the mountain of debt they had built up which they owed to notherners. The average southerner didn't own a slave no but every single member of the Confederate Constitutional Convention did, as did every single member of the Confederate Congress, Cabinet and Presidency/Vice Presidency.

Many black people dont even know that lincoln did not care about them and was as racist as they make the Confederacy out to be.

By the end of his first term Lincoln wanted all black men to be able to vote and hold office.

He only declared the emancipation proclamation two years after the war started.In fact its been documented that many divisons went home and declared they would not fight...because they were not fighting for black slaves...they were fighting to keep the union together.

No single Division went home. Some men deserted some men choose not to reenlist.

The states had a constitutional right to seperate from the union under the 10thn ammendment.The north was tyrannical and taxed the south to death....something the founders STARTED the country from.

Wrong the 10th Amendment says that the undefined powers of the constitution went to the states however the secession was barred under the Artices of Confederation which still remain in force when referring to matters not taken up in the Constitution of 1787.

The founders would have sided with the south.

Some would have some wouldn't have. Jefferson would've sided with the south as would Madison but Washington, Hamilton, Franklin and Adams would've been pro-union.

So dont blame the south....blame the north and lincoln.

always remember HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY THE VICTORS.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I can simplify this move even further......it's all for each Republican lawmakerr who signs to pander to the Tea Party. Plain and simple. Election year shennanigans from the Repubican party. Steele honestly can't see we are all fed up with BOTH parties.

top topics

join