It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USB to DVR without a PC?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Hey there dear computer geeks

I have an issue i am trying to resolve and i don t find a product.

I am either missing it or the industry seems to have skipped the obvious... (or is it not possible???)

I have a 1200 cc motorbike and i want to install at least one camera recording the action on it. (My maximum would be 4 cameras recording at once)

In the market i have seen a few devices that do this as stand alone units.
Effectively a camcorder would do the trick.

However i want to keep costs low so i came up with the idea of fitting the bike with 4 tiny usb webcams at the points i like.

However there is one problem.

I cannot find a recording device to record straight from a webcam....

I was hoping to get round this so i am eager for your views and oppinions.

Thanks beforehand,
GTG

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This may work...

The Super X is a tiny portable Hard disk which provides unique features using the latest connectivity technologies:
USB OTG allowing to connect directly any device such as a Digital Camera, USB pen drive, on its OTG USB port to copy direct to the Super X internal HD or to another USB Storage device. This mode is enabled when the switch is up.
USB Bridge allowing to backup from one USB Storage unit (ie digital camera) to another USB storage device (ie USB pen drive or memory card via a card reader). This mode is enabled when the switch is down.
The Super X runs from the supplied 4 * AA battery pack providing up to 1:30 hour of use or directly from the main via the AC Adapter supplied.

The Super X has a switch to select between two modes of operation:
1. Portable USB OTG Hard disk: Copy from any USB device such as a Digital Camera to its internal Hard disk which capacity varies from 20 to 80GB!
2. USB Bridge: Copy from a USB storage device to another one.

Not too sure if you can continuously stream video to it tho.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Thanks a mil Now_Then

I ll have a look and let you know of what i think

Thankfully,
GTG

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
They make mobile DVR systems for vehicles. most use coax style cameras. Coax cams are not that expensive but the DVR's themselves run a pretty penny. I have not come across a device that can use just any USB cam.
You may need to setup a mini rugged computer running windows/linux for what you want. If I was doing it, I would purchase a netbook or small laptop. Make sure it uses a solid state drive so your vibration does not kill it. Keep it in your backpack or wherever you can mount it. Install an inverter to power it and tether your usb cameras off of your netbook.

www.mobiledvr.net...
www.newegg.com...

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by staple

THANKS A LOT

Albeit i was impressed by the previous gizmo it seems it won t be doing the job.

So yes i guess i ll need to finf an eepc load it with an ultra light operating system and use an ssd both internal and externally for recording from whatever usb cams i connect to it.....

Seems a bit of a complicated system to set up though.

Not complicated in realisation but i was hoping to get something easier more economical to install.

Was also hoping to avoid the inverter.... ahh well....

Nice going though

Still open to suggestions

new topics

top topics

join