It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists able to tap into plant's to create free clean energy!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Wow, this is pretty cool! I couldn't find this posted, so I apologize if I made a duplicate:

"There are several ways to extract the energy from the photosynthetic conversion process. The dirty, old way that our society has been relying on so far is by simply burning fossil fuels such as coal, natural gas and oil. More recent efforts have focused on using biomass to produce biofuels – quite controversial, too.

An intriguing novel approach has now been demonstrated by researchers at Stanford and Yonsei Universities. They have inserted ultrasharp gold nanoelectrodes (custom-made, AFM- compatible, nanoscale electrochemical probes that were shaped in the form of a flat, sharp needle with an aspect ratio of 10 and tip diameter of less than 30 nm) into living algae cells and extracted electrons, thereby harnessing an – albeit very tiny – electrical current. This is electricity production that doesn't release carbon into the atmosphere. The only byproducts of photosynthesis are protons and oxygen."

Link below to full article:

Nanotechnology probe taps into algae cell and saps electrical energy

Now we are really getting somewhere, proof that all life is in some how interconnected! All species can help and learn from each other, let's just hope it isn't too late...

new topics

join