It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Gulf Shore Cleanup

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Ok, so, I am living between Gulfport, and Biloxi.

I have relatives in Louisiana, and was happy to hear that some of the younger ones with no direction were hired to help clean up the spill in Louisiana.

Meantime, about a mile from where I am living, there was a road, nearly blocked off to traffic, because there was hiring. While I can't say for sure, that it was BP, this hiring station flew up overnight, right across the street from a BP, gas station.
My husband, who had an errand to run down the road from this, came home and told me about this. I thought, wonderful.

Later in the day, we decided to take a ride down the coast to see what was happening. We drove west, from where we are, to Pass Christian. On our way, we did not see any signs of oil in the gulf or in Bay St. Louis. A good thing. No signs of oil on the white, sugar sand beach, and their were people bathing in the water, and sunbathing on the shore.

There were no booms across the shoreline, but we did see that some private homes along the shore, had installed some of their own.

We have a relative that lives off of a canal, no sign of oil in his yard which gets water in it everyday when the tide comes in.

Now, on our way home, we see, people installed on the beaches for the cleanup. It was apparent who they were, because they were all wearing royal blue t-shirts, hard hats, and red life vests on their backs. All of the sudden, they were everywhere, although we did not see them on our ride, to Pass Christian. This is about a 40 minute ride.

In Mississippi, the thought was, to rake along the shore anything that is loose, that oil might stick to, when it comes ashore.

Here is the thing.....all these people hired, were just standing around in groups! They were doing absolutely, nothing! NOTHING! In our 40 minute trip, we see all these people on our way back, doing NOTHING!

The kids I know from Louisian who were hired, were alledgedly offered $15.00 per hour, and $40.00 a day, per diem. I have know idea who hired, or what the people in Mississippi were hired for.

I do want to add, that I thought I might volunteer for this, since they were hiring just down the street from me, but my husband told me, no way. I would go help for free!

Why is it that he told me no, you might be asking? (I would have done it, if not for him) Is that everyone of these people on the beach, cleaning up, and doing NOTHING were black people! I did not see one white person on the beach, except for the sunbathers!

What the heck is going on!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Ok, I'm going to bump my own thread, because I think this is important.

I am leaning towards this being a man made disaster for a reason. Economic stimulation, and the creation of jobs.

Jobs created for people who are already in a depressed economic situation.

Honeslty, I was surprised to see there were not a larger "mix" of people out there to do this cleanup.

As I said though, they were just standing there, doing NOTHING!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
wow what a waste of resources in time of them actually being needed elsewhere. That is unthinkable, send those people to louisiana where the help is needed!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I just left Gulfport on a oil skimming boat. believe me, Ship Island and Chandeleur island are well protected with booms. The doom and gloom coming from the MSM is EXTREMELY hyped up! The workers you see standing around doing nothing will be standing around doing nothing for a long time. We have to look long and hard to find a patch of oil that hasn't already been skimmed or boomed off.
DON'T be fooled by the MSM, the situation is completely under control by the Navy and the Coast Guard. our boat has a total of 7 Navy personnel and 13 boat crew, we have the latest in oil skimming technology on board and have not yet had the need to deploy it. We are in constant communication with the Coast Guard (every 4hrs) and they send us to different locations where people have reported oil.
Right now we are doing search patterns and have only located 4 small patches that were either to small to deploy the skimmer or too dissipated to worry about.
The best thing the Coast Guard did was spray all the dissipating agent (fancy word for dish soap) as fast as they did by the time oilf, if any, hits land it will be a soapy brown like substance that will no harm anything.

Seriously you'all can relax, it IS NOT as bad as they want you to believe.

One thing to remember is that this leak is 5,000 FEET DEEP, BY THE TIME IT REACHES THE SURFACE IT IS VERY WELL DISSIPATED. It is also 50 miles offshore.

The Exxon Valdez happened to run aground right on the beach when they leaked out.

This is much ado about nothing!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
here are a couple of pictures of what this stuff looks like, remember that this is still about 50 miles offshore.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/05a1822dc0c0.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5fe686b88131.jpg[/atsimg]

seriously, what the MSM is doing is criminal. crying wolf like that is killing the tourism in the gulf coast, people actually think they will be swimming in oil. the beaches are still pristine and will be for a very long time.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

Wow!

You are kidding, right?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 8-5-2010 by earth2]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

Are you really that brainwashed? Look I am out here right now in the middle of it. Look at the pictures I posted. IT IS NOT as bad as they are making you believe. DO NOT trust the media, this includes FOX News.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

You're right, it's not as bad as they're making it out to be, it's even worse!! If anything the media is downplaying the severity of this incident.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I have been going to the beach for a bit nearly every day. We also have not yet seen any sign yet of oil on the beach. People have been in the water every time we go.

Interestingly, I was talking to a neighbor about fishing today, and she mentioned fishing off of ship island. She told me there was a restriction for one day that they wanted to fish, but that the restriction was lifted, and that yes, people are still catching fish, and eating the ones they catch from the area.

I greatly appreciate you posting pictures, so that people really do get an idea of what is going on.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieSlayer

I see you do not live in the area. These beaches have sand that is almost the same color and texture as sugar. There have been, thank goodness, no signs of oil on the beaches as of yet.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
This is only just the beginning. In the days and weeks to follow things are going to get a lot worse. The full scale of this tragedy will be evident to everybody, even those that currently are in denial.

Tar balls reported washing ashore on Alabama island

There was a renewed sense of urgency as small bits of tar began washing up on Dauphin Island, three miles off the Alabama mainland at the mouth of Mobile Bay and much farther east than the thin, rainbow sheens that had so far arrived sporadically in the Louisiana marshes.

"It almost looks like bark, but when you pick it up it definitely has a liquid consistency and it's definitely oil," said Kimberly Creel, 41, who was hanging out and swimming with hundreds of other beachgoers. "... I can only imagine what might be coming this way that might be larger."

About a half dozen tar balls had been collected by Saturday afternoon at Dauphin Island, Coast Guard chief warrant officer Adam Wine said in Mobile. Authorities planned to test the substance but strongly suspected it came from the oil spill.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Thanks for this information. It's nice to get a heads up, from other areas, even if we are not seeing on the beaches here.

I am surprised by the little amount of information we get here about it on our local news.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I just hope the best for all you guys that live close to the oil spill that are potentially affected by this. Keep us updated on what you witness locally.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Tar is a naturally occurring substance it ALWAYS washes up to the beaches. The difference is people (read=REPORTERS) are now looking for anything they can scare you with and it seems to be working. They have tar on the beaches in California and they haven't allowed drilling for years.

According to the Minerals Management Service, a United States government entity, tar and tar seepage are natural parts of the environment. It is evidenced that oil, tar and gas have occurred throughout the coastlines for thousands of years, and are particularly prevalent along the California coastline due to its mountainous regions. Scientists often cannot tell the difference between oil from naturally-occurring seeps and oil from offshore spills. Along the California coastline, there is a large amount of oil seeping naturally from the rocks under the ocean. environmentalism.suite101.com...

try not to be so gullible.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I'm a marine biologist my friend. I'm well aware of how toxic oil and other chemicals even in small doses can be to ocean life.

If you choose to not believe reporters that's cool, I don't trust majority of the mainstream media/news myself. There are numerous Facebook groups/blogs popping up though with first hand reports and pictures from people that live there.

This oil spill is scary when you think about the amount of ocean life that will be affected by this not to mention the impacts on the economy and the local populations.

Do you deny an environmental disaster is currently occurring in the Gulf of Mexico?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Oh and yet another scientist at ATS we are so lucky to have all you smart scientists here to clear things up for us we are so lucky.

Have you heard of these lil'ol incidents that dwarf our lil'ol incident?

June 3, Gulf of Mexico: exploratory oil well Ixtoc 1 blew out, spilling an estimated 140 million gallons of crude oil into the open sea. Although it is one of the largest known oil spills, it had a low environmental impact.
July 19, Tobago: the Atlantic Empress and the Aegean Captain collided, spilling 46 million gallons of crude. While being towed, the Atlantic Empress spilled an additional 41 million gallons off Barbados on Aug. 2. www.infoplease.com...

I don't know about you but I think Trinidad/Tobago and Barbados are still around hu? And I'm sure their fisheries and tourism is doing well yes??

gloomers....God love ya!

new topics

top topics

join