It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee Flooding Inspires Stunning Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
At least 29 people were killed in Tennessee, Mississippi and Kentucky by either floodwaters or tornadoes.

Hundreds of people had been rescued by boat and canoe from their flooded homes over the past few days. Those rescue operations were winding down in Nashville on Tuesday, though emergency management officials were checking a report of a house floating in a northern neighborhood, trying to determine if anyone was in it.

It remained unclear how many — if any — people were missing in Tennessee. Authorities in southcentral Kentucky searched Tuesday for a kayaker who was last seen Monday afternoon in the swollen Green River.

"Those in houses that have been flooded and some of those more remote areas, do we suspect we will find more people? Probably so," Nashville Fire Chief Kim Lawson said. "We certainly hope that it's not a large number." (1)

We posted several Nashville flooding pictures and videos yesterday, but this gorgeous, artfully made montage is so moving that it deserves your attention — (2)

ETA:
Related ATS Thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 7-5-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Escaped Piranhas, Floating Buildings: the Strangeness of the Tennessee Floods

In Nashville, which had its third-rainiest day ever on Saturday, followed by record-breaking rainfall on Sunday, life has been turned upside down. Nothing can be stranger than, in the midst of chaos and tragedy, finding a building floating past dozens of abandoned cars on an interstate:

As if that wasn't odd enough, WKRN in Nashville ran this video piece, in which a reporter said that piranhas had escaped from their aquarium and were at large, swimming the inundated halls of the Opry Mills Mall.

The Opry Mills Mall is a pretty big place, and it's just been humbled -- like much of the Nashville area -- by the swollen Cumberland River: Link

[edit on 6-5-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Ill try to find video that was taken in and around River Plantation where I lived as of Sunday.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DeltaBravoSierra

Were you flooded out of your place?
Sorry to hear that.

Any info. that you can add would be appreciated.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I live in Nashville. There is an 18 year old male from Idaho missing.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

"Inspires Stunning Video"

Flooding? Where people were killed? Stunning, are you serious?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by warisover

Uhem... it's the title of the article from the video posted.

Did you bother to read any of the articles linked? Or, how about the related ATS thread that was linked?

They do discuss the situation, which by the way, does not seem to be getting it's due attention - you should be upset - just focus it in the right direction...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Confirmed death toll now to 30...

Tennessee officials have confirmed a flood death in Memphis, bringing the state's toll from last weekend's storms to 20. The national toll is 30.

Nashville Mayor Karl Dean said Thursday that the Cumberland River has dipped below flood stage a day earlier than expected, falling to 39.5 feet. But recovery could take weeks, especially in the city's iconic country music and tourism industry. Damage is estimated at more than $1 billion. And the worst may not be over: Rural western Kentucky was bracing for what could be its worst flooding in 200 years.

An additional 10 people were killed in storms in Kentucky and Mississippi. Authorities are searching for at least four more people missing in Tennessee and Kentucky. Link

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Thank you so much for posting this, I hope these videos can get the Nashville situation a bit more attention.
We have been pretty much ignored in the media considering the amount of deaths (10 in Nashville itself) and over $1 billion in damage.

I am just one of the many volunteers that are clearing and cleaning the thousands of homes that were flooded.
So many have lost everything and don't have flood insurance.

What that article didn't tell you is that we are also still suffering a critical water shortage. Due to the main water supply plant being flooded, (we still have one) supply is down to 35%.

It sure makes life difficult when you have 3 inches of smelly mud on everything and you can't effectively use water for the cleanup. We have been told to use water only for cooking and drinking and most people are taking it seriously..well those who give a crap anyway.
Been a week since I've had a shower or been able to do washing, and after scrubbing mud, ripping up carpets and hauling trash everyday I stink!
But thats ok, so does everyone else.

The response from the Nashville public has been amazing, volunteers and donations are coming from those who have little but themselves to share.
Samaritans Purse has arrived to help, and next week Tide for hope laundry vans will be allowed to come.

Tonight there was a telethon on local WSMV channel 4 and they raised $1.7m for Nashville, so it isn't all bad news!
I am so lucky to be part of an amazing community, Nashville is a special place and the local disaster response has renewed my faith in mankind.

Also there was another related thread started when it was flooding, it didn't really go anywhere... just thought people might like to see some of the pics posted in that thread.
Nashville flooded today by 13ft in some areas

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
These are horrible events and I saw a story on tv that just broke my heart. Peace be with everyone involved. This means all of us

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by earthchild

Thank you for the update! Please keep us posted on the conditions.

It appears that Kentucky is continuing its struggle, as well...

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — The U.S. Coast Guard is warning that some rural parts of Kentucky are about to be inundated by the worst flooding in 200 years.

Coast Guard Lt. Jennifer Jessee, chief of waterways management with the marine safety unit in Paducah, said rising waters would reach their highest levels by the weekend.

Seventy-three counties in Kentucky have declared states of emergency due to the flooding, and teams from the Federal Emergency Management Agency arrived Thursday to begin assessing the damage.

Jessee said the Coast Guard has banned recreational boating on the Tennessee and Cumberland rivers as well as Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley due to hazardous conditions.

Meanwhile, officials continue to search swift-moving, debris-filled rivers for two missing kayakers. Link

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
This is an horrendous occurrence. I am horrified that the media is barely addressing it. I've seen a little footage, but not much.

I heard on the news last night that a group of Nashville musicians are planning on doing a music marathon to raise money for flood victims.

They also had some footage of Steinway Baby Grand's destroyed, and many artifacts from Nashville's music history. It is indeed a tragedy.

The news has gone from the oil spill to the car bomb to the stock market crash and now back to Haiti's pending disease crisis.

I know they are all important issues, but you would think they could spare some time for one of America's great music cities.

top topics

join