It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aerial Images of the Oil Spill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The following link contains 18 Aerial shots of the oil spill damages.

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- The oil you can't see could be as bad as the oil you can. While people anxiously wait for the slick in the Gulf of Mexico to wash up along the coast, globules of oil are already falling to the bottom of the sea, where they threaten virtually every link in the ocean food chain, from plankton to fish that are on dinner tables everywhere. "The threat to the deep-sea habitat is already a done deal -- it is happening now," said Paul Montagna, a marine scientist at the Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. Oil has been gushing into the Gulf of Mexico at a rate of at least 200,000 gallons a day since an offshore drilling rig exploded last month and killed 11 people. On Wednesday, workers loaded a 100-ton, concrete-and-steel box the size of a four-story building onto a boat and hope to lower it to the bottom of the sea by week's end to capture some of the oil. Crews also set fires at the worst spots on the surface Wednesday to burn off oil.
Here is a look at the oil slick from an aerial perspective

Read more: www.sacbee.com...

www.sacbee.com...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
And of course the question of the day is, why did Obama wait so long to respond?

Could it be blamed on the NBA Play Offs?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Honestly as if the sheer devastaion of this event is enough, you have to politicize it?

BTW, the US Govt. doesn't have Oil Spill relief teams/equipment on 24/7 stand by.

Besides, aren't you one of those Drill Baby Drill wingnuts or just everything Anti-Obama?

@OP Thanks, the photos are both stunning and sad.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

My stance on offshore drilling has remainmed the same over the last several years because unlike you, I don't ride a bicycle to and from work.

If you feel I'm politicizing this it's only because of what your hero says in this video.
Notice the part where he brings up something about "protecting the coast lines".

Hell, I'm sure even YOU will agree this is indeed a major flip flop on many levels.

So again I ask, why did he wait so long to protect the coast lines?

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Alxandro]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
reply to post by kinda kurious

My stance on offshore drilling has remainmed the same over the last several years because unlike you, I don't ride a bicycle to and from work.

If you feel I'm politicizing this it's only because of what your hero says in this video.
Notice the part where he brings up something about "protecting the coast lines".

Hell, I'm sure even YOU will agree this is indeed a major flip flop on many levels.

So again I ask, why did he wait so long to protect the coast lines?

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Alxandro]

Ouch! Point goes to Alxandro, wearing the spiffy green spandex!

When ya throw down the gauntlet on ATS, you had better be ready in case your opponent has some actual knowledge and a stack full of video links!

Cheers Alxandro

And, to be honest, I don't think you can politicize this situation anymore than it is.

I believe that this disaster will open eyes on many different fronts in the future. There are just so many different, horrible and twisted factors involved.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by UruFist]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Now, here are a couple questions that I already know the answers to, but, I have my reasons for asking them:

1. Why aren't we just burning the oil spillage?

2. And, why hasn't the gusher been corked by explosive means?

Anybody? Anybody?

[edit on 6-5-2010 by UruFist]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
how sad

I was born in New Orleans and it's slowly becoming a big fat oily s*** hole...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012
how sad

I was born in New Orleans and it's slowly becoming a big fat oily s*** hole...

Dude. I feel for ya. It does seem like a little too much down there.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

Fine by me, so why don't you simply start a new thread rather than hijack this one?

Wow a "Two for" Anything Anti Obama + Drill Baby Drill..........nice.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by UruFist
Now, here are a couple questions that I already know the answers to, but, I have my reasons for asking them:

AGENCIES fighting the huge oil spill resulting from the sinking of the Deepwater Horizon rig have carried out controlled burns as part of efforts to contain the oil.

(Dated 4/29/10.)

www.tcetoday.com...

2. And, why hasn't the gusher been corked by explosive means?

Gee Sherlock, I suppose because a relatively small diameter hole is preferred and more readily containable over a massive gaping one? Blowing things up doesn't always solve problems. But you already knew that.

Nice theories Einstein. And since you like to keep score, you are 0 for 2.

ETA: funny how all the "Less Government / Gov't. is Evil" crowd are doing the majority of complaining about alleged slow Gov't. response. Hypocrite much?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The problem with the clean-up of this disaster is two-fold:

One, somehow despite the vast amount of scientific knowledge humans hold, no one has figured out a good way to clean up an oil spill. Why? I wish I knew (I always thought a gravy separater would work). But with the frequency with which they seem to occur, one would think someone would've envisioned a cheap and easy solution for this.

Two, the DHS and its little brother FEMA are not equiped to deal with this - or most disasters for that matter - because the majority of its equipment, training, and funding is geared towards terrorism. If the government would quit worrying about that "threat" and focus on what its people really need, then they would have been ready for something like this and been johnny-on the-spot. The problem is that there's no money to be made in disaster relief, but plenty in terrorism "protection."

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by UruFist

So I DIRECTLY dispell one of your theories with quote, picture and link and I'm the fool?

Nice retort but lacking a SINGLE fact to substantiate your asinine claims.
I fight fiction with FACTS. Try it some time.

Got any new "theories?" I'll get out my Pixie Dust.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
reply to post by UruFist

So I DIRECTLY dispell one of your theories with quote, picture and link and I'm the fool?

Nice retort but lacking a SINGLE fact to substantiate your asinine claims.
I fight fiction with FACTS. Try it some time.

Got any new "theories?" I'll get out my Pixie Dust.

What theories did you dispell?

I asked questions.
You seem to have a screw loose. Maybe look into that before posting.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by UruFist]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrParanoid
The problem with the clean-up of this disaster is two-fold:

One, somehow despite the vast amount of scientific knowledge humans hold, no one has figured out a good way to clean up an oil spill. Why?

A lot has to do with our educational system that keeps advancing kids to the next level simply because libs don't want them getting their feelings hurt should they happen to get held back a year or two.
As a result we are now lacking good quality engineers that would be able to provide solutions for these types of disasters.
Now we'll be outsourcing for solutions while the MSM remain silent about Obama's Katrina.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

What theories did you dispell? I asked questions.

Originally posted by kinda kurious

AGENCIES fighting the huge oil spill resulting from the sinking of the Deepwater Horizon rig have carried out controlled burns as part of efforts to contain the oil.

(Dated 4/29/10.)

www.tcetoday.com...

If someone (and I use the term loosely) asks a question that they already claim they have an answer to, one might assume there exists a theory. Perhaps I mis-worded or over estimated your intellect. Regardless, THEY ARE BURNING THE OIL. Do you have another point, question or theory?

[edit on 8-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, hateful, intolerant, bigoted and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

If you believe that - have a chat with these guys -

They are the Real Thunderbirds

www.oilspillresponse.com...

I worked with them in the '90s and their set up was amazing - including a C-130 and an Illyusian. (mad russian pilot included! - U2U me and Ill tell you a story!)

To get an idea of what they could do we were shown a warehouse with flatbed trailers on it - each one set up to deal with a particular type of spill and crude. (hence the "pod" image and the Thunderbirds name)

They operate 24/7 response - and guess what - they were set up by the oil companies (Amoco/BP/Shell/Conoco partnership I think?)

I met some of the brightest minds there - not only from the UK but also from the US and Eastern Europe. I have no dount that some of their teams are in the thick of it right now.

Nothing to do with the politics of education in the US - rather the fact that it is possible to address disasters on a global and NON Political level (even down to the response being non company specific)

Edit - spelling

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Silk]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Pics of the warehouse I just described (a pretty cool view as well)

www.oilspillresponse.com...

These flat-beds can just be backed onto their aircraft and flown anywhere in the world needed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join