It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Need help finding a relief organization to help a burn victim in Iraq

page: 1

log in


posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:21 AM
I am working in Iraq.
I have a friend who is an Iraqi citizen and works with me. He is a good person. Just another working guy trying to take care of his family.

About 3 days ago his 21 year old adopted daughter was badly burned in a fire. she has second and third degree burns over 65% of her body. She is in a hospital in Basra and is in poor condition. The doctors have done all that they can for her but they are working without a proper burn ward and don't have the skills needed to save her. She needs a modern facility and surgery.

Things are very bad.

My friend called me on the phone and asked if I could help her. I'm stuck without the ability to travel. No resources except an internet connection and patchy phone service that won't make long distance connections for more than a few seconds.

My friend knows I'm not able to help her myself but he is desparate. He doesn't want his daughter to die> I can't in any good concience give up looking for help and I'm grasping at straws too.

We need to help her and are desperately searching for solutions.

I've got a few friends in the states who have done some looking but nothing is working out.

I've sent correspondence to doctors without borders, shriners, burn centers, charitable organizations. No response.

This is not a thread.

This is a plea for help.

If anybody has any ideas, please respond.


posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:56 AM
Anyone have any ideas of who might be able to help?


posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:01 AM
I'm looking for something on google but I'm not pulling up much as it directly relates to Iraq itself and those located there. I found a few things for soldiers coming back from Iraq and military related things. If you know the language maybe you can use that countries google search engine if they have one and get better results.

Might want to look for some grants if possible because off the top of my head, I don't know of any international grants that would apply but there might be private foundations located in Iraq. Just a thought and I'll keep looking and post anything that might help, if I find it.

Edit: If you know the language I think this is google's closest engine to that area:

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Crossfate]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:09 AM
I really have no idea how to help xcpt a immature one like creating a Facebook Page and asking for help. Perhaps some organisation or people may notice? Feel sorry for the kid I wish I could help.

If u create the FB page dont forget to add the kids picture and other details so people can know its not hoax or scam.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Crimson_King]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:17 AM
Hey, contact Bill O'Reilly. He supports the activities in Iraq. He says he donates to charity all the money he receives from sales from his website. Pitch it like this would be great public relations for the U.S. That your Iraqi friend is working with the U.S. to help build a better Iraq and his daughter suffered a horrible burn. Dunno.........just a thought.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:22 AM
Contact these people and see if they know of anything or any local charities or foundations or just have any helpful information since it appears they have the same commonly related goals for the most part.


I don't know if the next group can do anything medical related but it wouldn't hurt to contact them, get their middle east or Iraq area support number and then ask around about what they can do and what they know.

Save the children

Here's something for Iraqi children and medical help. Don't know if you can get it living in Iraq but you should still contact them and see. I didn't find a phone number but some digging on the company might reveal that.

Iraqi Children

Edit: Here's a direct excerpt from the above site.

February 27, 2010

Dhuha is a 10 year old girl who sustained second and third degree burns over a large part of her trunk. When her burns became badly infected and threatened her life, the Iraqi Children’s Project helped to bring her to the United States where she was treated at Boston Shriners Hospital, one of the worlds’ best pediatric burn care centers. After several months of intensive medical and surgical treatment, she returned to Iraq in excellent condition.

I'll keep digging...

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Crossfate]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:25 AM
Thanks so much.

Please ask anyone you know that might have an idea.

working on your ideas.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:27 AM
reply to post by badgerprints

Well,I am sorry to hear of this.As a father of two young women about the same age I can understand the gentleman's desperation.

To be honest what you have going against you in attempting to help her is time and distance.

One of the known issues to insure a person survives such a severe injury like this is time.

The quicker they can receive treatment in a burn facility the more likely they will survive.

This person being on the other side of the world,attempting to jump through all the hoops to get the proper paperwork and find some one to pay for this would take an act of God.

Maybe try the MSM they are not worth a crap anymore but they like a sad story to tell the public about.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:31 AM
I know it's a long shot.
My friend called me and was desperate.

He asked me to help save his girls life.
I have to try.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:07 PM
my only advice would be to sell one of the 65 malnourished kids each adult has there and fund a trip out of that damn country. Who in there right mind stays in hell when the door is a day or so away?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:14 PM
My first suggestion is to try someone from the Military, so the Embassy. Navy or Army is who I would ask.

The only other thing I can suggest is Shriners, they have flying doctors, but time is not on her side, as someone else said.

I suffered 3rd degree burns, I will keep her in my thoughts.

Wishing you the best.

Here is the page for Flying Doctors:

Shemer Medical Center provides a unique service that flies in specialist doctors to provide treatment andgive medical consultation to patients with serious illnesses located in any destination in the world. Our doctors and medical consultants are recognized as leaders of their medical specialties in both Israeli and modern Western medicine.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:16 PM
I don't know if this can help. But this a website in England that raises funds for burn victims and also can get help for people. It doesn't say on the site whether they only help people in their country, or everyone, but its worth finding out. Maybe they can at least point you in the right direction. Here it is:

My prayers are with the girl and her family. Your intent to help is commendable.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:08 PM
I would like to thank everybody for their suggestions, advice and concern for Shahada. We had gotten together enough support to move her to better faacilities and had interest from a few charitable organizations and hospitals who offered treatment.
Shahada was just to weak to be moved. She died today.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:54 AM
I´m sorry to hear that, but you did your best. My prayers to everyone involved.

new topics


log in