It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Impossible star !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Herschel reveals the hidden side of star birth

6 May 2010
ESA PR 09-2010. The first scientific results from ESA's Herschel infrared space observatory are revealing previously hidden details of star formation. New images show thousands of distant galaxies furiously building stars and beautiful star-forming clouds draped across the Milky Way. One picture even catches an ‘impossible’ star in the act of formation.

This is what I like best.
Actual new data on observements not yet understood.

I've always been a big fan of the universe but this big.
The protostar already has about 8 to 10 times the mass of the sun but it seems the cloud surrounding it as another 2000 solar masses to ad.

“This star can only grow bigger,” says Annie Zavagno, Laboratoire d’Astrophysique de Marseille. Massive stars are rare and short-lived. To catch one during formation presents a golden opportunity to solve a long-standing paradox in astronomy. “According to our current understanding, you should not be able to form stars larger than eight solar masses,” says Dr Zavagno.

I think this is really strange because we there are already massive stars observed in the past. They should have thought about a new explanation long ago.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9cd7cc8441c1.jpg[/atsimg]The Galactic bubble RCW 120

Edit.
Sorry you need to look for the picture in the source it is way to big to fit here,

Source to image.Image source

Visit Herschel reveals the hidden side of star birth to read the article.

I know about a theory that explains why massive stars can exist but it shocks me when I read that a star like this can't exist.

Why would they say something like this ?
Just say the star existence is beyond our understanding or something.

Anyway I think this is very cool indeed.

[edit on 5/6/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Well thats a planetary nebula.

More of a gas cloud than a star at the moment.

Pretty cool though huh?

Did you ever notice that the outer planets are mainly gas but the inner most planets are made of mostly rock.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by 12.21.12]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Interesting, I love pictures like these, it seems nothing is impossible in the universe.

For me it are the rainbows of the galaxy.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

Hi.

If the photo shows a planetary nebula then it explains why I couldn't find a star in it.

The star in the article they say is surround by 2000 sun masses of cloud dust but I supposed it wouldn't look like a planetary nebula.

Did you ever notice that the outer planets are mainly gas but the inner most planets are made of mostly rock

Nope but I've been told that they were.

If I remember it correct it has something to do with temprature and the different forms of solid,gas or liquid but I don't know for sure.

You are very welcome to share your knowledge with me.

[edit on 5/6/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Well... That's about what I think to.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

to those dumb ass scientists..

Have they ever seen the graph where it shows our SUN as only a tiny spec compared to other huge Stars/Suns .......now......

They are OBVIOUSLY WELL over 8 solar masses.

Are they DUMB ? obviously Stars can be well over that amount, i'm almost speechless as to how ignorant they are, unless I'm totally missing something...

In which case i apologize before hand.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Nope.

I suggested the same thing.

If I remember correctly the star Eta Carinea, in the Carinea nebula is one of the heaviest arround and it was said that it came close to about 100 solar masses.

They also sais 100 solar masses is about as heavy they get.
Now I'm just not so sure anymore about what to believe.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I checked it again and it isn't a planetary nebula.

According to the article it's stellar gas and dust that got blown away from it's first ignition. The whole bubble is lighted by the light of that new born star.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Hmmm. Interesting image to look at thats for sure. Just to be sure heres a few images to compare to. I can't explain how star masses or planetary masses are different from one another but I imagine it has more to do with composition.

imgsrc.hubblesite.org...
www.nightskyinfo.com...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Ahh. Nice !

The Cats Eye nebula isn't it ?

They do look very similar indeed.
I can't tell you really why tho. Well...
The numnutts in the article call it an impossible star yet there are more of them around. Pretty ignorant. They could be wrong about the picture to.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

After seeing this image it helped me put things in an entirely new perspective.

www.spacetelescope.org...

There is a whole lot of things that I can't explain but I do know that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate and just imagine the possibilities. Problem is that a human life is pretty insignificant compared to the life of a planet or a star. It's too bad we dont have the technology for quantum space travel or the tech to watch the creation of a star in time lapse.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

You are right and I most definitely agree with you.
Have you seen the new one ?

Thousends of newly discovered galaxies on photo !

I think you will like it.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Cool thread and to attempt to answer your question I might suggest that dark matter is important for understanding the physics of our universe and key in understanding for quantum space travel.

Theres some very cool fractal software, exploring tha mandelbrot and julia sets which is a holographic representation of our universe, maybe that would be a good way to find to points in the universe and see how they are connected together, but if we had a broader understanding we could connect all points and master space travel.

For instance there is a story about an airplane here on earth that got caught up in some sort of wormhole over the bermuda triangle and traveled well over 200 miles in a matter of minutes.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Yes I remember seeing it on discovery. Pretty intriguing. Some weird guy in Miami said he could create it or something but it never worked when others observed.

I think our galaxy should be the first focus cause it's already way above comprehension.

top topics

join