It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona-Style Rebellions Over Immigration Spreads: & the Polls Agree!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/87c40321fc84.jpg[/atsimg]

Legislators in nearly a dozen states are considering tough new laws against illegal immigration that mimic the Arizona measure that has triggered a firestorm of controversy nationwide.

The combination of polls showing increasing voter frustration with federal enforcement efforts, plus the growing fiscal pressure on states facing major budget problems, has emboldened conservative legislators to eye state-level reforms similar to those that Arizona GOP Gov. Jan Brewer recently signed into law. "The intensity is still there. It's growing," says Ira Mehlman, spokesman for the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), a group that generally supports stronger border-control efforts.

The Arizona measure directs police to question lawful residency only after individuals have been stopped on reasonable suspicion of having violated another law. It directs police to verify residency if suspects are unable to produce documentation, provide a Social Security number, or otherwise establish their legal residency. The law has sparked widespread protests by pro-immigration groups nationwide.

Despite that backlash, conservative lawmakers in North Carolina, Maryland, Colorado, Missouri, Ohio, and several other states are considering following Arizona's lead via state legislation to stem the tide of illegal immigration. If nothing else, their support for further restrictions on illegal immigration indicates they see it as a winning political issue

A plethora of polls suggesting state-level legislation, in the absence of stiffer federal enforcement and border control, would be very popular with voters. A few recent examples:

**A USA Today/Gallup poll released Wednesday shows that 9 out of 10 Americans say it is at least moderately important for the federal government to act this year to secure the borders and stop illegal immigration. Just over 60 percent say they are very concerned undocumented workers are putting an unfair burden on U.S. schools, hospitals, and social services.

**Almost 70 percent of voters in the South and 66 percent of voters in the Midwest — two regions that may well determine whether Democrats continue to control Congress — say the Arizona law is either "about right," or it doesn't go far enough, in combating the problem of illegal immigration.

**A recent Rasmussen poll found that 60 percent of voters nationwide support.

**Various polls that indicate between 64 percent and 70 percent of Arizona voters support the new law. After Brewer signed bill, her approval ratings in Arizona jumped 16 percent.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given the growing cost and unpopularity of illegal immigration, more and more state legislators are willing to push for tougher enforcement despite the controversy. A round up of state-level legislative and political activity:

California: The state assembly recently passed a resolution urging the federal government to fix the nation's broken immigration system, and the issue has become a hot one in the GOP gubernatorial primary.

Colorado: Republican gubernatorial candidate Scott McInnis, also a former congressman, said he would support "very similar" legislation is elected governor

Florida: Support for tougher immigration laws is very strong in the Sunshine state. A Rasmussen poll released Wednesday shows that 62 percent of Florida voters "favor a law like Arizona’s

And the rest: I encourage you to read the whole story at the Source:

Georgia:

Maryland:

Missouri:

Nebraska:

North Carolina:

Oklahoma:

Ohio:

Texas:

Utah:

SOURCE: newsmax.com...

I think the time has come for this country to pull ups it's britches and start doing what needs to be done. It won't be pretty but it is needed. Time to cleanse the country? I don't know and I seriously doubt it is possible-enmass. One at a time.
Nobody wants to be the bad guy, but we need to do it for OUR childrens future. Get on with it already. Time for us to take to the streets.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d92e88c9199c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I hope we will start to see changes soon regarding illegal immigration. This has been going on for so long, people think its Legal to come here Illegally,
. Foreign countries are laughing at us with all of our superior might and we fail to do the basic of National Security.

Boston is voting on boycotting Arizona, just the city council of Boston. That is another city I have crossed on my never to visit list, until those city council loons get thrown out.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

The average American doesn’t want to see these illegal’s exploited and used like modern day slave labor. The left wants to see them added on to the countries roles so they can get more votes in the elections. The right wants to continue to allow big business to get its slave labor, at the expensive of the average American.

Who will win?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
i would have to read the entire bill to see if i really like it or not. i am for sending back criminals, some say if your in this country illegaly you are already a criminal. my thoughts are majority of illegals are good people that want a better way of life. i think those people should be given a chance to learn the language, obey the laws and possibly pay a flat tax out of their checks to pay the fine for coming here illegaly. if they are a criminal, send them back. if they refuse to learn english or get a job, send them back. if they refuse to pay the fine, send them back. sending back the ones that get caught doing a crime is a great start. on the other hand i do have a problem with profiling. question, what happens if an illegal is proven innocent of a crime? let's say its a hard working, well meaning illegal that was wrongly accused do we still send them back?

i was wondering, what would make it worth the governments while to continue to let illegals pour through our borders? i mean what is the logic behind it? i'm starting to think that since the government & business is in cahoots, maybe they choose to turn the other way because its in businesses' best interests to maximize profits by giving cheap, below minimum wage, non union, non benefits, no rights, jobs to illegals who will take them and not complain.

i feel that rounding up every last illegal would not be easy or cost effective, so a reasonable negotiation must take place and it needs to happen soon!!!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
What no one realizes is that:

1. You can't control illegal immigration.
2. Trying will be about as effective as the war on drugs.

Alot of money wasted with little to no actual effectiveness.

Good luck to those states. They will waste tax payer money on a problem that would be better solved in a different manner.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

Good luck to those states. They will waste tax payer money on a problem that would be better solved in a different manner.

Can't control? That is funny one. More like you don't want to control Illegal immigration. The taxpayer money is already being wasted on the benefits they recieve from their anchor babies. Things are going to change for the better with what Arizona has started.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

What would be a different manner?

Everything costs money. Should we just continue to allow illegals to receive benefits, that some Americans do not get, after paying taxes?

Why do you think it is ok, for people to get paid cash that is not taxed, while collecting things like section 8 housing, food stamps, and medicaid?

This needs to be stopped, and while you might not agree with change, this poll only goes to show that you, are in the minority.

Everybody else, has had enough!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
Can't control? That is funny one. More like you don't want to control Illegal immigration. The taxpayer money is already being wasted on the benefits they recieve from their anchor babies. Things are going to change for the better with what Arizona has started. [edit on 6-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

Dead on. Don't want to control. Don't think things are gonna change for the better at least not in the way many citizens are hoping. Wouldn't surpize me if they just handed out amnesty.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Its nice to see that the MAJORITY of the population is AGAINST criminal activity. Illegals living here is a CRIME! It is also a HUGE burden to the system our LEGAL citizens of this country worked VERY hard to have in place.

Whoever is against any measures to rid criminals from our country should be ashamed of themselves. Better yet, they should follow the criminals back to the place that they illegally migrated from.

When this mission is completed, it will be a BIG win for Americas citizens, and for our children and grand children.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Captain_Sense
Its nice to see that the MAJORITY of the population is AGAINST criminal activity. Illegals living here is a CRIME! It is also a HUGE burden to the system our LEGAL citizens of this country worked VERY hard to have in place.

Whoever is against any measures to rid criminals from our country should be ashamed of themselves. Better yet, they should follow the criminals back to the place that they illegally migrated from.

When this mission is completed, it will be a BIG win for Americas citizens, and for our children and grand children.

I've seen the FED do what it likes regardless of what the MAJORITY wanted.

What if the mission fails?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Then we're no worse off than we are right now... but at least there would've been a "mission" to try and deal with the problem.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

Must admit that in part I was avoiding the 1 liner and also poking a little fun at the idea that the "mission" that has been going on for at least 30 years will soon be complete.

Wikipedia says:

Since 1986, Congress has passed seven amnesties for illegal immigrants.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I was just checking out the TV MSN and I have to say, they are making the issue(s) worse. They again are on the wrong side of the isses.

Obama and the MSM continue to poke fun at the citizens of this country. It appears the MSM is really going to go down the tubes with Obama-when that happens.

I guess they have calulated the possible losses and figured over time they could and/or will recoup those loses. OR they got paid off and/or have been promised something they couldn't refuse.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Ugh. Sorry, long day and I'm le tired. My spidey sarcasm sense fades somewhat when I'm tired and cranky...

My apologies. Move along, move along...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

OK. Then forget it.

Hehe. What manner would you suggest. Amnesty for all of them. States spending more money on them. Forcing all of america to speak spanish. Watching more hospitals go bankrupt by giving these people health care that they never pay for?

Maybe Hollywood will give us some good answers.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by UruFist

I like your way of thinking! Yes, Hollywood has the answers, again. lol

Here is an example of the major problem we face: A lot of US people are defeated already. WE GIVE is their battle cry. For petes sake.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Yes annon72, you are exactly RIGHT, The Polls Do Agree and I heard
some GREAT Ideas about this ANCHOR BABY CRAP, It needs to go the way of the Illegals.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by guohua]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

I had forgotten about the Anchor Baby issue. That needs to be addressed also and fast.

Any loophole should/has to be addressed at this time also. See, this is exactly why now is the time. Before it gets any worse.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Im in Australia and immigration is big over here as well.just wondering why all western countries are having heavy immigration forced on them but other rich non - western countries have no problem with immigrants pouring in.could it be that they are trying to destroy our National Identities

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bilder
Im in Australia and immigration is big over here as well.just wondering why all western countries are having heavy immigration forced on them but other rich non - western countries have no problem with immigrants pouring in.could it be that they are trying to destroy our National Identities

It's tough to control when our southern neighbor's "Mexico" president and government supports his people moving to America so they can send money back to his country.

MEXICO CITY -- Mexican President Felipe Calderon on Monday condemned Arizona's tough new immigration law as discriminatory and warned that relations with the U.S. border state will suffer.president

Human rights
"My government cannot and will not remain indifferent when these kinds of policies go against human rights," Calderon said, adding that he would bring up the new law when he meets with Obama next month during an official visit to Washington.

Since when does another country's ideas of human rights become stronger than our constitution? It's not a human right's issue anyway, it's more like the plundering of a nation.

Were I the president of the USA, I would advise Mr Calderon that he needs to take care of the problem on his side of the river.

And once again I'm not trying to sound racist for I am not, But what really is going on here is economic and social terrorism.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join