It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA team cites new evidence that meteorites from Mars contain ancient fossils

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
Okay I understand the concept of panspermia and all that. But how the heck do they know this meteorite came from Mars?? What happened, did a chunk of Mars just jump off the planet and hurtle towards Earth?

I have the same question , seems to me that the chunk of rock came from somewhere else , how do they know it for sure that it came from Mars...?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

&
reply to post by Reevster

We believe they are from Mars for a number of reasons:

1. Age. These meteorites solidified from a liquid state between about
200 Million years ago to over 4 billion years ago. The younger age
(200 Million years) indicates they come from a body that was able
to produce lava that recently. Asteroids and the Moon are geologically
inactive 200 million years ago, which suggests are large planet (but
not necessarily Mars).

2. Trapped Gas. When they rocks were ejected from Mars, some of
the atmosphere was trapped in the rocks. When the meteorites were
studied on earth it was discovered that the gas had a composition
identical to that of the Mars atmosphere (as indicated by the measurements
from the Viking lander missions in 1976).

3. Isotopic Composition. Each element has a specific set of cousins which
are very similar, have the same basic chemical properties, but are slightly
different in mass (in this case the number of neutrons) - these different
cousins are called isotopes (e.g., oxygen 16, oxygen 17, oxygen 18). The
ratio of the various isotopes in the martian meteorites was different from
any earth rocks or any of the lunar samples or any of the other meteorites.

All of this led to the conclusion that these rocks came from Mars.

Link-ola

-E-

[edit on 6-5-2010 by MysterE]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Whoever said that intelligence was needed for extra-terrestrial life to engage in space travel
reply to post by Karilla

I for one never said that. I don't know where you even get the idea that I think that.

The article says gas trapped in the rock is similar to the atmoshpere of Mars now. The meteorite is 4 billion years old.
Once again I ask how do they say for sure it came from Mars? They have already said in the past that conditions on Mars have greatly changed in its history...
Couldn't this meteorite be from someplace else that had 4 billion years ago an atmosphere similar to the one Mars has now?

BTW yes I do understand ejecta too.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reevster

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
Okay I understand the concept of panspermia and all that. But how the heck do they know this meteorite came from Mars?? What happened, did a chunk of Mars just jump off the planet and hurtle towards Earth?

I have the same question , seems to me that the chunk of rock came from somewhere else , how do they know it for sure that it came from Mars...?

Well according to Wikipedia.. (I know, i know.. not the best source, but works in this case)

In 1983 it was suggested by Smith et al. [3] that meteorites in the so called SNC group (Shergottites, Nakhlites, Chassignites) originated from Mars, from evidence from an instrumental and radiochemical neutron activation analysis of the meteorites. They found that the SNC meteorites possess chemical, isotopic, and petrologic features consistent with data available from Mars at the time

Also...

This could have been the result of an impact of a celestial body on Mars, sending material from Mars into space. Of the many thousand meteorites that have been found on Earth, only 34 have been identified as originating from Mars, most of which have been found since 2000.

Source

So according to the to chemical and isotopic make-up of the meteorite, among other things, they conclude it came from Mars because it matches the atmospheric conditions of Mars studied by the Voyager in the 70's.

Hmm... What about the possibility that it came from another planet with similar conditions to Mars? I don't see how this is ultimate proof that it came from Mars, perhaps someone can enlighten more on this?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
looks like that NASA conference about search for extra terrestrial life was just laying the ground for releasing "new" information to the public. Maybe we will start to see "new" information about life outside out little blue marble.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I still don't see where they're specifically showing proof of previous life in this little rock, whether it came from Mars or someplace with a similar isotopic ratio to that of Mars 4 billion years ago.

I'm still seeing a lot of "probablies," and "mights." We'll just have to wait and see how this stands up to peer review again. But I don't see where they're really presenting anything new or exciting.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

The new proof which revived the topic is the ruling out of a certian method of magnetite creation, which was a main counter arguement.

The Thomas-Keprta work, published late last year in the journal Geochemica, centers on the origin of iron-based crystals called magnetites in the original Mars meteorite, called ALH84001. Magnetites on Earth are sometimes created by bacteria that respond to the planet's magnetic field; the McKay team argued that some of the Martian magnetites were of this biologically created type.

Critics had said that the magnetites could have just as easily existed without bacteria or biology -- that they sometimes form as a result of the shock and searing heat that could come, for instance, from an asteroid strike. But in the recent paper, Thomas-Keprta, an expert in the use of electron beam technology to look inside rocks, reported that the purity of the magnetites made that explanation impossible.

-E-

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat
I think this would be an ideal way to gently introduce people to the concept of non terrestrial life. The idea of some microbes existing millions of years ago shouldn't be too threatening for most people. Who knows what discoveries would come next? It's a bit frustrating that they are not confirming their findings 100% at the moment.

I agree, Personally I believe we are on a small but steady diet of information that will lead to "Disclosure" in the next 15-25 years. When it does happen we will all go "so what".

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I heard it was the soft ball team and they are pissed off because they lost a game with th 700 club.

PROOF PLEASE

any way I'm drunk

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
What's even more amazing is the fact that NASA is taking its sweet time with the whole life on Mars thing... it's pretty clear that there is intelligent life throughout the cosmos, including Mars, I don't know why they insist on feeding the public the 'we think... maybe... but don't quote us on it... that perhaps... there's bacteria on Mars... there... we said it...' They're still stuck on the foundation level and haven't moved on yet with disclosing the real truth about intelligent life everywhere... by the pace they're going at, we'll probably get official confirmation of intelligent life in space, oh around the year 2098. Time to get a move on - people are ready to deal with reality, so why not come clean?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY

I heard it was the soft ball team and they are pissed off because they lost a game with th 700 club.

PROOF PLEASE

Look 4 posts up

-E-

[edit on 6-5-2010 by MysterE]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This is great to hear but I never needed some scientists to tell me there is or was life on Mars or in the universe for that matter. I am sorry but to me it only seems rational that there would be life outside our own planet. Look how BIG the universe is! How anyone can say we are the only living beings out there is beyond me. It's quite selfish honestly.

Woohoo for Mars!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Ok, I'm trying...but it ain't easy.

I have no doubt that life on Mars was once doing its thing cause I am doing a second line here.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Nasa already know what the hell there was and there is right now on Mars.

I think, for some reasons, that is TIME to give The BIG NEWS.
S&F.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
hallo fella.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I have been following this since the announcement a couple of days ago, for them to re open a 16 old case is BIG news in my opinion. Also for it to make the media is even bigger. Like I said before, are we ready for the disclosure they are going to come out with?

Look at the timelines since hawkings interview and tele broadcast. It all makes sense.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I think the best thing to do wit Mars and the Moon and space stuff is just hear what Richard Hoagland has to say.

This way you can spend more time working out you budget and buying better booze to drink while off work.

Its all kinds of silly aliens out there in space anyway.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
If it is proved that life existed and/or is existing on Mars, it would give more credibility to the theory that all matter is conscious and "life" is everywhere!

It would also be a massive shot to religions that claim that God only created life on Earth.

It's kind of a big deal!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Reflection

Vatican has already admitted the alien existence.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Ok just stop right there. Where is the evidence that suggests this rock in fact came from mars? How could anyone know that

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join