It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by oozyism

Um, no, we are no where near stretched to our maximum capacity. In fact, we are currently working greatly under capacity.

That is where the real danger lies. Too many idle hands right now.

This is the big thing most people don't get. We are so much more capable of doing more than we are now doing, we spend our time debating nonsense, that if we were busy, and thereby more happy, this wouldn't be noticed.

Two wars got your economy to shut and fears of depression arose, are you kidding me

American military can't handle more, the instability within its territories is one of the main reason. The continuation of Afghan war is another issue.. It is turning out to be a Vietnam, and as they say Afghanistan is where empires fall..

All empires want to rule the world, Mangole tried it, the British tried it, the Russians tried it, the Greek tried it, the Japanese tried it, the Muslims tried it. You can keep going with the amount of people who tried to control the world. America put its name in history books as another wanna be control freak..

A little kid like America can also give it a try, but if they don't learn from previous empires, they might put themselves in the wrong situation, and end up with an awful/sorrowful reality..

America is a little child? What does that make the rest of the world? fetuses?
I love morons, who attempt to sound informed on subjects they are blatantly ignorant on. Keep showing off that tiny IQ

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odessy

Originally posted by Thirty_Foot_Smurf

I believe you missed the point. I wasn't speaking about Canadians in Canada, I was speaking about Canadians in the USA and their lack of repulse to the American flag on July 1st.

Why is it not a problem to wear and American flag around Canadian Americans on July 1st and it is a problem wearing an American flag around Mexican Americans on May 5th?

There really isn't a point. I think it was wrong to suspend the kids... it was also bad judgement on the kids behalf to wear the flags (and it sounds like they did it in spite of the holiday). Obviously the punishment just sparks more negativity.

I will revert back to my previous statement...
If I dressed as a nazi on a jewish holiday, I wouldn't be braking any laws, but I would still be a dumb***.

Personally I couldn't care less about this, the public school systems are crap anyway. I'm sure those kids are dealing with much worse problems.

No there really is a point else why even post.

I find it very odd and that in your example you equate the flag wearers as Nazi's or basically the persecutors and the Mexican American as the Jews or basically the persecuted.

My point is you're looking at this 180 degrees from right. Those boys were the persecuted ones and the Mexicans were wrong. If they have a problem with the American flag then they need to examine why. Arent they Americans? If not then their asses need to be on the first bus back to Tijuana. And therein lays why I believe the crux of the issue. I'm sure this school has a high illegal population.

I think we need to have a good old fashioned ICE raid and deport the intolerant.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Thirty_Foot_Smurf]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Thirty_Foot_Smurf

Na, we just need to go to war with Mexico to thin down the population on voth sides of the border, lol.

In all seriousness, I think the school should be revamped with new faculty that can prove they are true Americans. Not these people who sway to help other groups, but really want to give a VALUABLE EDUCATION.

I don't care if some jerk wears a Mexican flag on the 4th of July, he/she is not the important to me. Why should it bother anyone if we wear an American flag on anyone else's holiday. Ef that!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I love how a piece of linen with designs on it causes such an uproar.

It's just a flag!,it is really quite meaningless,it is not a representation of you or yours,it's just a piece of cloth.

I can see the logic on the 5th of may,lets see what happens now,after....

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This is becoming ridiculous; what country says wearing the flag of that country is disrespectful? Only the Politically Corrupt- Oh sorry I meant Politically Correct USA!

I am more than sick of all these titles everyone uses (Mexican-American, Irish-American, Italian-American, etc…) you are American. End of discussion. Ever notice those who have families that have been here since before the Revolutionary War don’t go around calling themselves English-American, French-American or Dutch-American. We are Americans. Plain and Simple. And you shouldn’t be holding the flag of one of your forefathers in higher respect than you do the flag of this country.

And don’t even get me started on the ignorant “Mexican-Americans” who think Cinco de Mayo is Mexico’s Day of Independence. It is the celebration of the Mexican Army defeating the French Army in one Battle in Peubla. Heck, even Mexico doesn’t celebrate Cinco de Mayo except in Puebla.

Ignorance is ruining this nation and this is just another example.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Identified
This is becoming ridiculous; what country says wearing the flag of that country is disrespectful? Only the Politically Corrupt- Oh sorry I meant Politically Correct USA!

I am more than sick of all these titles everyone uses (Mexican-American, Irish-American, Italian-American, etc…) you are American. End of discussion. Ever notice those who have families that have been here since before the Revolutionary War don’t go around calling themselves English-American, French-American or Dutch-American. We are Americans. Plain and Simple. And you shouldn’t be holding the flag of one of your forefathers in higher respect than you do the flag of this country.

And don’t even get me started on the ignorant “Mexican-Americans” who think Cinco de Mayo is Mexico’s Day of Independence. It is the celebration of the Mexican Army defeating the French Army in one Battle in Peubla. Heck, even Mexico doesn’t celebrate Cinco de Mayo except in Puebla.

Ignorance is ruining this nation and this is just another example.

I agree. I hate this hyphenated crap. Anytime and American citizen hyphenates themselves like Mexican-American then you are a Mexican first and foremost and you are lastly an American.

Heres a quick question for the group. When a white South African becomes a US Citizen can he be an African American? Why aren't Egyptian, Morrocans, Lybians typically considered African American?

If an African American moves to England is he still African American? Is he now African English or is he African American English?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

So true. I have a friend who is from South Africa. She is white and our little joke is I call her African-American.

I also have a black friend who is European. And I will joke with him that he should be called African-American-European because afterall in this country some think they can tell the nationality of a person simply from the color. Hey folks not all blacks are American citizens nor have they necessarily set foot in Africa.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Identified

So true. I have a friend who is from South Africa. She is white and our little joke is I call her African-American.

I also have a black friend who is European. And I will joke with him that he should be called African-American-European because afterall in this country some think they can tell the nationality of a person simply from the color. Hey folks not all blacks are American citizens nor have they necessarily set foot in Africa.

Its all about getting the undereducated and the wrongly educated organized into a voting block and thus assuming that voting blocks voting identity.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

This is completely off topic, but since you brought it up.

Sorry, but those two wars have nothing to do with the current economic crisis, which was created by corruption on Wall Street.

The two wars in the Middle East barely impact our economy. A large portion of our work force is now idle. Our problem isn't our lack of ability to produce, it is our ability to over produce.

We currently produce more than we are able to consume, thus under our current economic system, there aren't enough jobs to go around. It is an odd situation, but a situation predicted for a long time now.

The Afghanistan war is going fine. It is the Taliban that is losing. Iraq is developing into perhaps the first Non-Islamic religious extremist controlled republic in the Middle East.

Technological advancements are making it continuously easier to fight these wars. With current computer technology, unmanned aircraft are just the beginning.

Back to the subject at hand.

The whole pc thing has been worn out, and more and more people see it for what it is, propaganda mainly designed to deprive certain groups of their rights.

The principles actions in this situation is not acceptable, and people are now starting to vent their outrage.

Celebrating Cinco de Mayo is fine and dandy, as long as we are all having fun, but when students start getting sent home for wearing a flag symbol on the 5th of May, then things have gone too far.

It is becoming clear that we the people of the Western nations are being taken advantage of.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Now the little dirt bags are marching and demanding respect. Someone needs to teach these ingrates that respect is earned and/or given, not taken.

www.morganhilltimes.com...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Cinco De Mayo is not even a nationally recognized "Holiday" in Mexico, why should it be recognized as a holiday here in the US?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sdocpublishing

All I know is 5 de mayo is a holiday in the US to celebrate the mexican unlikely victory over a overwhelming french force.

I have no idea why americans celebrate it more than the mexicans

Still... history is history and present is the present so right now I have to say to follow your president steps and maybe...I dont know, maybe bow to them or something...
I think america's getting used to it by now

As for the comment above about afro-american in the uk, that would make them Afro-europeans... but in europe's case, we just call them black ppl. Its simpler and its been the same for centuries. In that matter europe is a lot more racist than the US and we dont really care for "intellectual words" to avoid hurting sensibilities as we know they know no country in europe would allow for instance having a black president, theres a very very small minority of black politicians... hell even black news anchors are rare.

Nevertheless they're black, they're not afro-anything in here. We're not very good at "race penetration rates" in europe - we're too old for that

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Seitler

Originally posted by USAFJetTech

Actually that is a common misconception.

The CRS Report for Congress
The United States Flag: Federal Law Relating to Display and Associated Questions
Updated April 14, 2008
John R. Luckey
Legislative Attorney
American Law Division

"The Flag Code addresses the impropriety of using the flag as an article of
personal adornment, a design on items of temporary use, and item of clothing. The evident purpose of these suggested restraints is to limit the commercial or common usage of the flag and, thus, maintain its dignity. The 1976 amendments to the Code recognized the wearing of a flag patch or pin on the left side (near the heart) of uniforms of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The Code also states that the flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever."

[edit on 7-5-2010 by USAFJetTech]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I am a new member to ATS and thanks to this post I have decided to make my voice heard. I am a American-Mexican and yes American comes first because that is where my loyalties are first and foremost. It's sad to see the America that my grandparents LEGALLY immigrated to disintegrating before my eyes. It is like a slap in the face to my grandparents when people come over here illegally making demands left and right. My grandparents went through the steps to become citizens, learn English, and GIVE to this great country of ours. The American flag to me symbolizes the hope and dreams of my grandparents and for anyone, ANYONE who tries to shame the symbol of so many peoples hopes and dreams I feel very sorry for you. Born and raised in California myself I have witnessed our State decline at the hands of illegal immigration. Like most American's in the border States I am taking a stand on this issue that has gone on long enough! American's must reclaim America so that it is a place where dreams can be full filled ...not the nightmare it is turning into. Now it's time to sit down and write a letter to Live Oak High School @ 1505 East Main Avenue Morgan Hills California 95037

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thirty_Foot_Smurf

No there really is a point else why even post.

I find it very odd and that in your example you equate the flag wearers as Nazi's or basically the persecutors and the Mexican American as the Jews or basically the persecuted.

My point is you're looking at this 180 degrees from right. Those boys were the persecuted ones and the Mexicans were wrong. If they have a problem with the American flag then they need to examine why. Arent they Americans? If not then their asses need to be on the first bus back to Tijuana. And therein lays why I believe the crux of the issue. I'm sure this school has a high illegal population.

I think we need to have a good old fashioned ICE raid and deport the intolerant.

lol, no dude, I'm not comparing any country to another, just that the acts of intolerance are the same.
And by the way, where does it say the teachers that suspended them were Mexican?

Since you can't grasp my concepts as previously stated, I'll try another way.
Those kids had EVERY right to wear the flags. The should NOT have been kicked off campus...
OK, we can agree on that.
BUT!!!
THEY were also being intolerant towards the Mexicans, who if they are public school, HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BE HERE! In Fact, this is CALIFORNIA we're talking about... why do you think all the cities have spanish names??? Oh, right, because we Americans drove them off their own land... I'm pretty sure we've done that before...

So, I can just see those mexican school kids celebrating their national holiday, and a bunch of intolerant American punk high school kids, wearing their american bandanas and T shirts of which they probably never wear any other day.
Thats what I see.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
This is such a violation of the students rights why are the Mexicans even allowed to practice a Cinco De mayo in the school it is not American and if they cannot speak English they should be thrown out this is America not Mexico,These Pricks need to be stopped and this is not racist this is about them trying to corrupt American values and standard of living ,I have seen the areas they have occupied they have lowered the property Value, the areas look like Slums i have seen this in California ,Arizona ,Nevada and in Texas. How can we stop this ,Round them up and Deport them all.
I have seen this over the past 50 years and it has to be stopped.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Last I heard this country is still called "America".
.....the school was out of line in my opinion.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by manta78]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by USAFJetTech

So I stand corrected. Well, Now lets take the Flag out of every commercial and movie and replace it with a burger king flag!

(This is directed at no one, other than the people that think the Mexican kids were in the right for doing and saying what they did)
----
WHO CARES what the friggen codes state about adornment of the flag. It's not even about that, it's about a bunch of mexican kids, probably born from illegals, whining that they have to see the flag of the nation in which they are living, in front of them.

TOO BAD. We don't need to respect the ways of Mexico! We must give you rights and respect YOU, but not your country of origin! So p--s off!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odessy
In Fact, this is CALIFORNIA we're talking about... why do you think all the cities have spanish names??? Oh, right, because we Americans drove them off their own land... I'm pretty sure we've done that before...

So, I can just see those mexican school kids celebrating their national holiday, and a bunch of intolerant American punk high school kids, wearing their american bandanas and T shirts of which they probably never wear any other day.
Thats what I see.

You've made it perfectly clear that you are an America hater and the Mexican scoolkids were right. You shouldve just come out and said that from the beginning and avoid the confusion. Looks to me you were trying to hide it but given this comment you've decided to commit to it and let everyone know.

And by the way. If the "mexican school kids " as you put it are truly American, their national holiday isn't the 5th of May, its the 4th of July.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Any way you slice it there's a very legit claim here about the school overstepping their bounds with regards to limiting the free speech and free expression of the student body, but the circumstances not-withstanding in this particular case it really has nothing to do with Mexicans or the flag or apple pie... it has to do with cultural tensions and the ever-increasing threat of violence in our country.

There may be an article out there with an interview with the kids that says "this is why we wore the shirts/bandannas" and there may be an article with an interview with the school people where it says "this is why we did what we did" but i haven't seen it, and so it's ALL speculation as to motivations on both ends.

What that leaves us with is just an example of schools overreaching... just like with the 'bond hits for Jesus' thing, or the suspension over my-space comments, or the gay prom debacle in Mississippi.

After the columbine thing, in Colorado they banned wearing trench coats in schools... some even banned Marilyn Manson t-shirts. in LA they ban gang colors... it's not without precedent that schools restrict what students can wear in order to try and reduce the risk or threat of violence on school grounds.

Now, there's no clear evidence to say that was the thinking behind the school's decision in this case, but i think that given the history of school violence in the last decade or so in this country, it's far more reasonable to assume a position of concern over cultural tensions as being the motivating factor, rather than jump straight to this nationalistic circle-jerk that it's all about the flag and imperialist self importance.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join