It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Why should it garner a negative reaction on the 5th of May in the United States? I think the real story is why ( if at all ) anyone was offended. You don't see Canadians acting like a bunch of jerks to people wearing an American Flag on July 1st ( Canada's Independence ) do you? Why the difference I wonder?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
I agree with Beast Master in that trying to keep the peace was probably the principle's intention. However, this needs to be brought to light as well then.

I prefer the idea of letting the kids wear OUR flag...let some Mexican/Americans start trouble...then call the cops and stick the punks in jail for assault/battery. Why the hell can't an American, wear an American flag, in America simply because some people might not like it? TOO F!@#IN BAD! Live somewhere else then...uhhh...maybe Mexico? Let it happen then send the "other" kids to jail. Makes me sick.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
The should've just wore and upside down mexican flag on their shirts.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

This isn't star wars, and we don't have an odd sith trying to kill us. This is reality, and the truth is, we don't have to worry about a civil war. If something happens, then the soldiers will turn on the government. Their families mean more to them than any oath they swear, I know this personally...

As far as pulling troops from Iraq to go to Afghanistan, this is because our presence isn't needed in Iraq. Don't presume to think, for even a day, that our troops are stretched too thin. We only need one incident to happen, then all our troops will come home, be it on orders or against, and they will put any oppressors back in their place. We are only waiting on the unknown shot that will set this crazy powder-keg off.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

Actually most schools in Western states have school that goes year round so actually their is a good chance you are wrong in your statement. And wow I havent typed on here in a while, so when did ATS turn into such a rule first chat place. Must be run by our Government now, because there are so many things that we cant do. Unless they find it useful for them or someone they like making their "kind" or "brand" of comment. This Country has really gone to Hell. This page here that I am reading is no better than the Principle in this school. SO HERE ARE MY 2 cents.....

I agree. Me too. Good post.

"BIG" "BIG" (notice, big quotes, hahaha, running out of letters)

So, thx, ty, & B4 i go, brb.........

This is my case stating itself for me actually.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anjin
reply to post by centurion1211

Agreed about the ACLU and it will be interesting to see if they take this on or not. I would put my money on a big fat NO.

Northern California's slogan should be "We're Americans and we hate ourselves for it"

I love northern CA. way to spread that of that negative butter on us though. I guess we would rather just think of ourselves as people than belonging to any one nation strictly based on where you happen to be born. Dear me, we are trouble!

On subject:
Yeah, the people wearing the flags were obviously trying to get attention. Not my type of humour, more like covering up their fears than anything else though. But they shouldn't have been kicked off campus. Plain and simple.
I can wear a nazi flag on my shirt if I want. Hell, I can get it tattooed on my forehead. Completely allowed... still makes me a douche...

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Odessy]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Um, no, we are no where near stretched to our maximum capacity. In fact, we are currently working greatly under capacity.

That is where the real danger lies. Too many idle hands right now.

This is the big thing most people don't get. We are so much more capable of doing more than we are now doing, we spend our time debating nonsense, that if we were busy, and thereby more happy, this wouldn't be noticed.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Nothing to worry about.

The dollar is stable, at least I think it is!

Oh well, if I state this, I could be considered a terrorist.

The US dollar is DONE.

The US mortgage is DONE.

Nevermind, everything is GREAT!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thirty_Foot_Smurf
Why should it garner a negative reaction on the 5th of May in the United States? I think the real story is why ( if at all ) anyone was offended. You don't see Canadians acting like a bunch of jerks to people wearing an American Flag on July 1st ( Canada's Independence ) do you? Why the difference I wonder?

while I agree with you, especially about how awesome Canada is, I have no idea if someone from a high school somewhere in Canada got suspended for wearing an american flag on July 1st... just as the majority of them will probably not hear about this...

There are stupid people everywhere though, I can tell you that. A lot of them seem to take up residence here in the states, but I'm sure there are a few in Canada as well.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
This does not surprise me at all. America acts out its power through global agendas yet cannot stand for its own at the homefront. I think this is absolute bullschlacken.

Question, were those kids white/caucasian?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by btyoung21

two were white, one was half white/half Mexican (I think that's what the article stated. I know he was half something other than white for sure)

Why does it matter if these kids were trying to get attention or not? They are in the USA flying the national flag of the USA. Plain and simple, no action should now, or ever, be taken for someone showing patriotism... even if it is for some attention seeking agenda. It just doesn't make sense to this poster?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odessy

while I agree with you, especially about how awesome Canada is, I have no idea if someone from a high school somewhere in Canada got suspended for wearing an american flag on July 1st... just as the majority of them will probably not hear about this...

There are stupid people everywhere though, I can tell you that. A lot of them seem to take up residence here in the states, but I'm sure there are a few in Canada as well.

I believe you missed the point. I wasn't speaking about Canadians in Canada, I was speaking about Canadians in the USA and their lack of repulse to the American flag on July 1st.

Why is it not a problem to wear and American flag around Canadian Americans on July 1st and it is a problem wearing an American flag around Mexican Americans on May 5th?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I'm sick of this kind of garbage. I watched one of the local news reports on the matter and to hear what some of the "mexican-american" kids had to say made me want to puke.

Worse, is the excuse that the offending youths had to be more sensitive to the day.

The way Cinco De Mayo is celebrated is purely a racist holiday. I doubt any one of those kids could say why they celebrate it. The darn thing isn't even a Mexican National Holiday!!

I think on a day like Cinco De Mayo, or as we say in english speaking America, May the 5th, in a place like this school being flooded by such a racist celebration, a few American patriotic articles are a necessity,.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Wolf321]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I'm not going to side with the Hispanics, but I think it would be extremely important in judging this to know whether any of these students would have displayed their American flag on most other days. (I doubt they do.)

Worth nothing is that this is a group of five students together. Two had bandannas.

It seems to me like they were trying to stuff it into the faces of these other students, who for whatever reason would be offended.

I live in the south, and we've had issues with students bringing Rebel flags to school for pep rallies. (I can't remember if it was any special day.) But, imagine if they had worn these flags during Black History month.

Of all the days to wear an American flag bandanna to school, pick another day even if there aren't any Hispanics in your school. If you happened to accidentally wear your shirt with the American flag on it, fine. But, I think this was intentional.

Besides, our flag code states that it is inappropriate to wear the flag as such.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by glitchinmymatrix

Besides, our flag code states that it is inappropriate to wear the flag as such.

The flag code is only to address to manner in which a flag, an individual item (not sewn into or tattooed onto some one), is meant to be displayed. It has no sway on you wearing it as a pattern, or as an insignia (otherwise the military would be introuble because it is part of their uniform).

Are you trying to say that were are not 'allowed' to wear a lapel pin in the form and color of the flag? No, you are just trying to make a case where there is none.

As I stated before, it doesn't matter if the kids were purposely trying to stir the waters, for the simple fact it's an act of patriotism. If they were, then goon for them. They were standing up for their rights to say, "Hey, this is America and I will not bow to your Mecian non-holiday!"

Stop defending the liberal take-over of our educational institutions.

[edit on 5/7/2010 by Seitler]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   

I believe you missed the point. I wasn't speaking about Canadians in Canada, I was speaking about Canadians in the USA and their lack of repulse to the American flag on July 1st.

Why is it not a problem to wear and American flag around Canadian Americans on July 1st and it is a problem wearing an American flag around Mexican Americans on May 5th?

There really isn't a point. I think it was wrong to suspend the kids... it was also bad judgement on the kids behalf to wear the flags (and it sounds like they did it in spite of the holiday). Obviously the punishment just sparks more negativity.

I will revert back to my previous statement...
If I dressed as a nazi on a jewish holiday, I wouldn't be braking any laws, but I would still be a dumb***.

Personally I couldn't care less about this, the public school systems are crap anyway. I'm sure those kids are dealing with much worse problems.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Who gives a crap what country holiday it was? This is America, America's flag should always fly higher than any other no matter the day. I wish someone tried to send me home for this back when I was in high school. That school would of been sued and anyone involved fired, before i got through with them.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
It is a MEXICAN HOLIDAY.

It is NOT an AMERICAN HOLIDAY.

If we had to support every nations holidays here in America, Hell, our kids would never learn anything at school.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by oozyism

Um, no, we are no where near stretched to our maximum capacity. In fact, we are currently working greatly under capacity.

That is where the real danger lies. Too many idle hands right now.

This is the big thing most people don't get. We are so much more capable of doing more than we are now doing, we spend our time debating nonsense, that if we were busy, and thereby more happy, this wouldn't be noticed.

Two wars got your economy to shut and fears of depression arose, are you kidding me

American military can't handle more, the instability within its territories is one of the main reason. The continuation of Afghan war is another issue.. It is turning out to be a Vietnam, and as they say Afghanistan is where empires fall..

All empires want to rule the world, Mangole tried it, the British tried it, the Russians tried it, the Greek tried it, the Japanese tried it, the Muslims tried it. You can keep going with the amount of people who tried to control the world. America put its name in history books as another wanna be control freak..

A little kid like America can also give it a try, but if they don't learn from previous empires, they might put themselves in the wrong situation, and end up with an awful/sorrowful reality..

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join