It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by piddles

My argument doesn't require your understanding, just your willingness to see the lack of parity. My point was that if one group of high school kids got sent home because their nationalistic pride was thought to be incendiary, then so should the other. Your attempts to call me old aside, the fact is that this is a holiday many of us (Hispanic Americans included) fail to recognize because it marks an extremely little-known event in Mexican history that just so happens to be sponsored largely by a Mexican beer company. We're not exactly talking about the Mexican fourth of July here.

That being said, have you ever heard of Fifth Of May (the literal Spanish translation) being celebrated by high schoolers, period? Who show up to school with their faces painted in the colors of a Mexican flag? Of course you haven't. Why? Because if it weren't for Arizona passing a law it felt needed to be passed, this thread wouldn't even exist because high school kids, hispanic or otherwise, typically don't give a rat's a%$ about Cinco De Mayo - they bought into the hype and felt that they needed to express their national pride... which is fine. As long as everyone else gets to do the same.

My point was that if any one group was forbidden to display their national pride, misguided though it may have been, then everyone else should have as well. It's the lack of parity that no one seems to acknowledge. Perfectly okay for Mexican Americans to dress up like it's Halloween on a barely understood holiday that no one understands aside from Dos Equis commercials, but for an American kid to show up in an American school with an American flag on is incendiary?

I think it is I that doesn't understand your point.

Keep it equal or keep it out, it's that simple. These are high school kids. No rights. If the principal was afraid to treat everyone on the same level for fear of some sort of backlash, that's his problem... that's why we have phones... and police departments.

Were the kids showing up with U.S. flags on trying to make a point? Probably. So were the hispanic kids that showed up wearing Mexican flags on a holiday that's largely represented by getting tanked and trying to make it home without passing out behind the wheel.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
serves the little punks right!... if they were just wearing the flag on a random day because they wanted to then fine, but they choose to wear it as a statement on cinco whatever day. That's uncalled for and disrespectful, With all the immigration conflict Right now hey last thing we need are head stung teenagers making irrational statements.

Its not bout what they did (wearing the flag) its about the attitude they demonstrate and the thought behind their actions.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

I've said this a few times, I will say it again, kids in high school think that sort of thing is funny. It already happened at my high school except there wasn't a big ass story because the school just let them be (while keeping a close eye during nutrition and lunch). It's more than feasible that they wore this stuff to upset prideful mexicans.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
We are fed up with anything and everything that's Mexican. As long as the illegal immigration situation is out of control I'm boycotting everything and anyone I can that's mexican and doesn't support the USA!

I dont know who this WE is that you speak of. WE are not a isolationist country, and cooperation and interaction with our neighbors is essential to our continued success and growth. That type of thinking is ignorant, bigoted, and at its best woefully naive.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
If the aclu perused this here is how it would go.

File lawsuit.
Negotiate with defendants.
Settle for 200k
Then agree for the kids to wear tee shirts backwards and not allowed to say the evil and mean word The United States .

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Im Half mexican and Half ahite and a few kids wearing american flag t shirts wouldnt hurt my feelings.... if they were skinheads and had ss bolts or nazi badges i would be offended but american flags nah i consider my self american anyways i was born in usa and im half mexican

anyways i dont think they should be in trouble

[edit on 6-5-2010 by KnowTheLedge]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by piddles
reply to post by paxnatus

It's more than feasible that they wore this stuff to upset prideful mexicans.

The joys of Multiculturalism...behold.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by USAFJetTech

Blah blah blah! We'll see if your opinion changes 20-30 years from now when 60% of the populatin is mexican. You think Mexico gives a crap about you or your country? That is if you are even American. Hell no! Many Mexicans believe this is their country that we stole from them. Remember that when you go off at the mouth and call people bigoted and racist. Many Mexicans I've met are more racist than anyone I know. White people need to grow some balls. They are guilt ridden whimps who are losing their culture all over the world. I'm white and my dad was a Polish immigrant. So don't talk to me about immigrants and open arms, and acceptance and all that bs. I know it first hand buddy! I'm far from a bigot but I'm just a little sick of Mexico and I have every right to be. The people of Mexico need to get their own house in order before they knock on our door.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I think that even if they did it to hurt the feelings of the latins its stupid because we are all americans lol

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by KnowTheLedge

There's no such thing as half mexican and half American kid. You might be half white and half dark skin or whatever. But if you were born in the USA you are AMERICAN! There's no such thing as African American. Most black people have never set foot in Africa. They are AMERICANS! I'm not Polish American or Irish American or English American.....I'm AMERICNA! Born and raised!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

Well, if they make it seem like a great deal of mexican kids were acknowledging cinco de mayo, definitely more than the 5 kids who felt otherwise. I think because this seems like a sensitive issue to some people, sending that many kids home might come across as racist not to mention is counter-productive to their education.

My point is these kids were probably trying to start some kind of trouble because chances are they wouldn't dress like that any other day. the American flag itself isn't and shouldn't be offensive but I feel they use it in that way and hide behind the guise of being patriotic.

Heh, I meant no sort of offense by saying you might be out-of-date with the teenage mindset. Also, lots of kids celebrate cinco de mayo and acknowledge it in school. Maybe not where you're from, but I'm essentially in Mexico pt. 2 (SoCal) and that sort of thing is important here, especially now. but I agree that this wouldn't be that important if that bill wasn't passed.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Obviously there is more to the story that we don't know about. Can't wear doo rags or hats. Everyone knows that. Although when I was in highschool in the 90's, girls could wear hats. No one cared to cry out discrimination because it wasn't a big deal. As for the shirts or pins, well they are just an innocent by stander in this mess. Everyone knows no one is gonna get in trouble for those; unless you pop it or flash it at a latino/hispanic.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

but I'm essentially in Mexico pt. 2 (SoCal) and that sort of thing is important here, especially now.

And there we have it.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prove_It_NOW

reply to post by Prove_It_NOW

I'm outraged that this story got to be as big as it is. ranting against illegals and such is still promoting some kind of justice but I feel making a story like this so viral creates anti-mexican sentiment for more than just illegals. This story had nothing to do with illegals and it got you upset about them, especially because an American flag was involved

Nope, again read what I said about "flags", and stop ignoring my posts.

And yes, stories like this are 'HOT' issues when a subject like Illegal Immigration is at the forefront of news. I am guilty of jumping on it also. But people need to understand that this story makes people angry because of what it 'says' about where our society is headed. How we are being socially engineered down to the school level.

THAT is what makes me angry. The 'flag' is just a symptom of the underlying problem.

And just out of curiosity. Do you see yourself as a Mexican American, or an American with Mexican lineage? Humor me.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Prove_It_NOW]

I read your flag post as I have with all your posts which is why I began speaking to you to begin with, it was just assumption with outrage. I agree that the american flag shouldn't be something that is seen as offensive but they found a way to do so, and have been doing so for years. this isn't the first time someone's thought it'd be a good idea to piss someone off on their nation of origin's holidays.

what exactly is it saying about where our society is going?

I think we're socially engineered as well but I don't think it's in the classroom. (AP) US history class was, when I was in school, essentially "America did some lame stuff...BUT CHECK OUT ALL THIS OTHER AWESOME STUFF WE DID HOLY CRAP".

also I'm sure most mexicans would tell you that they love mexico but they'd MUCH rather be in America. they love cinco de mayo just as much as the 4th of july. that's how my (very large) family is.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prove_It_NOW

but I'm essentially in Mexico pt. 2 (SoCal) and that sort of thing is important here, especially now.

And there we have it.

I mean you can pull quotes from me in your weird attempts to make yourself look right but I haven't disputed anything you're using my quotes for, which is there's a lot of mexicans in the US.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
You are talking about California. The laughing stock of the union.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Oye! I can't believe this thread has grown to 215 posts about an obnoxious group of kids wearing t-shirts to antagonize!

They need a swift kick in the pants from their parents, if the parents didn't goad them on to do it.

Get over it people. A group of TEENAGERS, made a bad descision.

Like I said ealier, they should be punished by having to wear the t-shirts, everyday, for the rest of the year!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Actually, I am an American and I proudly serve in our armed forces and have the utmost respect and reverance for our flag. Both my grandparents are also immigrants.

However, just because the demographic in the United States is changing is not a reason to espouse hate for people of mexican decent. I know many legal citizens who happen to be Mexican born or come from mexican stock, and some of them are the most patriotic people I have met and most if not all are very much for immigration reform. Right now in my squadron in Iraq we have atleast two individuals who are mexican citizens who chose to serve in OUR air force so that they can get their legal citizenship. Race and demographic shifts ARE NOT the reason for immigration reform, nor should they be.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by USAFJetTech]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by USAFJetTech

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
We are fed up with anything and everything that's Mexican. As long as the illegal immigration situation is out of control I'm boycotting everything and anyone I can that's mexican and doesn't support the USA!

I dont know who this WE is that you speak of. WE are not a isolationist country, and cooperation and interaction with our neighbors is essential to our continued success and growth. That type of thinking is ignorant, bigoted, and at its best woefully naive.

We should be an isolationist country.

We can cooperate with our neighbors and not allow the clusterf*ck that is going on down on the border right now.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
Oye! I can't believe this thread has grown to 215 posts about an obnoxious group of kids wearing t-shirts to antagonize!

Never thought wearing the AMERICAN flag would be referred to as "antagonizing".

Just goes to show how far this country has gone in the gutter these days.

As a Marine Corps vet, the day someone tells me to lower my American flag because it offends somebody, or take off my shirt because of the flag emblazoned on it is the day someone is going to be in the ICU unit.

If they're lucky.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Darkrunner]

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Darkrunner]

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join