It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a very important newspaper article

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I was reading the sun news paper when i came across an article about the planet earth.

This article is very well written with a clear and important message. instead of the usual dribble trying to ridicule celebs or drastically bending the truth.

this article was a breath of fresh air the reporter ha got it spot on and i agree with this article completely.

a few quotes....

OVER the last 50 years we have taken a series of beautiful pictures of our home planet from space. In one sense they are simply the holiday snaps from our first journeys into the cosmos - but for me they are the most important photographs ever taken. They force us to think deeply about our planet and its value.

They should be taught in every school, because if they were more widely known, and their true meaning appreciated, they might encourage us to recognise the real value of science and exploration.

They might even change the way we behave as a civilisation.

I agree with this reporters opinion completely.

In difficult economic times, science and exploration always come under threat. It is easy to feel that we know enough about our universe to get by, at least until money becomes available again to spend on luxuries. The year 2010 is the worst of times and all our political parties are preaching a message of austerity. But I passionately believe our journeys into the unknown are not a luxury but a necessity.

We spend much of our time and money squabbling over small pieces of our world. Some of us are certain that our politics or religion are absolutely correct and that we know without doubt how every one of the seven billion humans on our "single pixel" should behave. Seen from so far away, the idiocy of these conceits is clear.

We certainly live on a tiny world, insignificant, perhaps, in the cosmic dark. But for all its fragility, our planet is immensely valuable. It is the only world we know of where life has evolved.

Read more: www.thesun.co.uk...

read the full article and view the collection of images and the small story that goes with them.

very true and important IMO so was just wondering what everyone else on ATS makes of this article.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I agree completely, our world is precious as is each life on it. However the world can only be what we make it. And sometimes I think it would be better off with out us. Can you imagine the planet in it's prestine state. They say 97% of life on earth is now extinct, I bet it was beautiful covered in these creatures and plants. Now we push lif aside to cover it in concrete. What a shame

[edit on 6-5-2010 by GummB]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by GummB

The tide always turns. If you knew how many times we have come and gone, you probably wouldn't feel the same way. Ah the waters of Mim....

Say hello to poky for me...Peace

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
my i ask what it is you mean by that. How many times we've come and gone?
sorry for the long wait on that reply i was at work when i posted that first comment

edit

Id also like to add to that in my opinion I don't necessarly think that each indvidual life is precious, more so the life of the species as a whole. A death is never something that should be taken lightly, and to see such a large portion of life gone for ever is to me a huge dissapointment. Those are lifes we will never get to share. And sure some of them died out due to natural selection but there were others lost due to loads of human activity. Humanty is glorious but i cant say the same about most of our actions. We have done things only for our benifits and our planet is taking the toll.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by GummB]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
That is a very interesting theory, it'll take me a little while to read through all those sources but i definitely like the idea of our history being a lot deeper and obscure than we ever really imagined

top topics

join