It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Innocent Man Leaves Jail After 30 Year Wait

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Another Innocent Man Leaves Jail After 30 Year Wait

feeds.bignewsnetwork.com

A man from Cuyahoga County, in Ohio has been released after spending almost 30 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit.
In the United States, a man from Cuyahoga County, Ohio, has been released after spending almost 30 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit.

DNA tests have proven that Raymond Towler did not rape an 11-year-old girl, as had been alleged.

Mr Towler, who had been serving a life sentence for the rape of the girl in 1981, was congratulated by a tearful judge....
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
You know, I can't help but think about the scumbag that committed the actual crime and possibly got away scot-free. They say what comes around goes around. If so, then I'm sure he'll get his in the end.

For the poor fella that lost 30 years of his life for nothing. Well, you can rest assured the State of Ohio will be paying him a significant amount for their error. Although nice, no amount of money can buy you back 30 years of your life.

feeds.bignewsnetwork.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Sick basta1d world eh, imagine never doing anything and being locked up for 30 years of your life.

I have had 18 years of police giving me no freedom what so ever, and i know to a certain extent. But this person must be relieved, but society is sh1t the way these people for no reason other then being in wrong place at wrong time.

The police should be locked up in prison i always think in these cases as they have in effect murdered this person.

Sick world.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
This was in the Aussie papers today also. When I read stories like this I just want to break down and cry - the thought of spending 30 years anguishing in jail with no idea if you will ever be freed or not is too much for me.

I suppose I could take comfort from the fact he wasn't executed.

I hope he sues his jailors back into the stone age.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Well, he will get a decent settlement for the time spent...but you still lost 30 years, so it really doesn't matter.

For him, its not unlike going into a new world...imagine all the changes that has happened from 1981 till now.
Computers, cell phones, the internet, etc...my mind cant even wrap around how many changes he will have to get used to...he might be soo institutionalized that he wont be able to return to society easily.

So...whats the solution? There really isn't one...just a sad story of a imperfect system. various levels of house arrest for everyone so they may remain and contribute to society? Studys show that people that go to prison have more likelyhood of recommitting crimes than those put on probation for the same crime...but the crime he was found guilty for it would be difficult to justify just house arrest...

Well, hopefully he can look upon the whole mess as just a disaster and comedy at the same time...move on with life, travel the world with the settlement, and maybe speak out against whatever he has learned in his 30 years.

And, at least he got cleared before he died...I imagine many have died in prison wondering if their name would ever be cleared one day.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Luckily for him they didn't do any of those things some people here on ATS say that should be done in cases like this...

A strong punishment for a serious crime? Sure, but they must be sure that he/she is really guilty.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Besides false DNA, I wonder how much evidence against him was fabricated by the pigs or how much eveidence for the defence was suppressed by the pigs.

Fair payback to the falsely accused would be to lock up prosecuting pigs for the same amount of time.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I wonder how much work he had to put in for the gangs? How many beatings did he have to deal with? How much harassment
, and so on... They really don't understand the prison system they have created and how awful it really is, how bad for society it is.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Luckily criminal foresnics is much much more advanced than it was back then. The chance of these cases happening NOW is much more less possible than it was 30 years ago.

Glad tests were able to set him free finally. I just wonder why it took so long for the tests to be done. That needs some more research, IMO.

GEL
Crim Forensics Student

[edit on May 6th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

From personal experience, I would say it took so long because the city/state did not want to admit wrong, and allowed ego to play a major role. It is typically hard to impossible to be able to achieve anything from prison. You are subject to the system once you are involved.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
There is an organization out of Dallas, TX called The Innocence Project. They are dedicated to re-opening these types of cases where (at the time) the DNA process was in it's infancy. I think at one time they even had a time-slot on T.V. where they showed some of their success stories but I can't recall the network.

Makes you wonder just how many innocent people are still in jail for a crime they did not commit. More so, the actual perpetrator that is probably still at large that gets to live their life.

I highly commend this organization for what they do, it's just too bad there aren't more of them.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I feel for the victim and the victims family as well. Imagine thinking this whole time the perpetrator of the crime is serving his just due for the crime. Hating and loathing that man that face for 30 years only to find out all your hate has been misplaced.

edit for fat fingers

[edit on 6-5-2010 by drift393]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Indeed , another very sad travesty of injustice meted out from a system that is imperfect and flawed .

The link posted doesn't give details about the trial etc ., so it would be difficult to analyze what went wrong or who should shoulder the guilt in this situation .

Could have been an over-zealous prosecutor , a biased judge , a jury that wasn't presented with all the facts , or even an accuser that outright lied for whatever reasons .

In my opinion , our entire criminal justice system needs to be scrutinized and re-structured to prevent this type of travesty from happening again and again .

This poor soul lost 30 years of his life while the real perp remained free to probably commit this crime again .

The 'victim' must now carry the shame and guilt of taking away this man's life for the past 30 years .

I long for the day that polygraph examinations are perfected to the point that they are universally accepted as valid tools for use in the courtroom.

With science and technology being what it is today , there should be no reason whatsoever for one single person to ever have to stand falsely accused and convicted for a crime they didn't commit .

No monetary reparations can ever be enough to compensate for 30 years of this man's life .

To all of those who wave the constitution around like it's some sacred , infallible doctrine , take note of cases like this .

It certainly didn't protect an innocent man in this case .

I , for one , find it ludicrous that there are no safeguards in place that unequivocally demand positive identification in these types of cases .

Best wishes to this man in rebuilding his life .

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
There is an organization out of Dallas, TX called The Innocence Project. They are dedicated to re-opening these types of cases where (at the time) the DNA process was in it's infancy. I think at one time they even had a time-slot on T.V. where they showed some of their success stories but I can't recall the network.

Makes you wonder just how many innocent people are still in jail for a crime they did not commit. More so, the actual perpetrator that is probably still at large that gets to live their life.

I highly commend this organization for what they do, it's just too bad there aren't more of them.

I actually support this company and I too hope that more innocent people are set free, based on proper forensics being done (IE DNA testing)

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

In my opinion , our entire criminal justice system needs to be scrutinized and re-structured to prevent this type of travesty from happening again and again .

The Innocence Project information that I recently posted shares your sentiment. They too think the Justice System is flawed. Should take a look at your leisure of course. Very noble cause IMO.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Mr. Towler was actually helped by The Ohio Innocence Project , in his appeals .

Your support is commendable . Bless You .

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

With science and technology being what it is today , there should be no reason whatsoever for one single person to ever have to stand falsely accused and convicted for a crime they didn't commit .

Science and Technology of today is absolutely nothing like it was 30 years ago. Like I said above, it is unlikely there will be these issues now due to the change in science and technology and the change in how evidence is collected and processed today.

In 1985 was the discovery that portions of the DNA structure of certain genes are as unique to each individual as fingerprints. From there researchers discovered new approaches and variations which brought about DNA profiling/fingerprinting which has brought us where we are today - being able to test DNA in blood, semen, hair and tissue against suspects/victims.

This is why recently we keep hearing about all these people from very very long ago, being set free based on new DNA testing performed. We now have the technology. We now have the labs to do it. Crime labs are very understaffed and their workload is enormous but luckily we now have independent labs to make up for this.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I actually support this company

That's awesome GEL! I am sure these fellas that are released are quite thankful that there are people that are willing to contribute to organizations like these. I'd give you an Applause if I could

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t

I actually support this company

That's awesome GEL! I am sure these fellas that are released are quite thankful that there are people that are willing to contribute to organizations like these. I'd give you an Applause if I could

Ok. Before im handed awards and stuff
its just donations now and then. I dont actually get to go work there or do much more
So my support is just small donations and supporting the work they do

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

which has brought us where we are today

Can you imagine the advancements to the Criminal Justice System in 50, shoot, even just 20 years from now?

There are plenty of threads on ATS about this but I found a recent article earlier today and it's only 3 years away

'Minority Report' tech only 3 years away – M'soft boss

Abstract:
Major advances in computer technology will soon see humans interacting with avatars and controlling computers with gestures similar to the ones seen in the film 'Minority Report', Microsoft's Chief Research and Strategy Officer Craig Mundie told Arabian Business.

Mundie added the technology to allow computers to think for themselves was still far off, but predicted the next major breakthrough in computing would be the building of a quantum computer.

Such a computer, he said, would "compute based on on the properties of quantum mechanics down at molecular level" and present humanity with massive opportunities in fields such as synthetic biology, new material and nanotechnology.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join