It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama and Karzai to Discuss Reconciliation with Taliban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Obama and Karzai to Discuss Reconciliation with Taliban

Afghan President Hamid Karzai will join President Barack Obama in Washington next week for talks on how to reconcile with the Taliban.

It is believed Mr Karzai sought the talks in order to get US support for his efforts to hold peace talks with some of the senior Taliban leaders.

Administration officials have said they are hoping for a broad outline of the future strategy for Afghanistan to emerge from the meeting.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Are you kidding me? Make nice with the Taliban? WOW!!!

Okay I can see the positive in this, mainly we can wash our hands of Afghanistan ...finally. Although this possible outcome looks like we went in one big circle. A lot of American as well as other peace keeping Nation's soldiers were killed to try and win Afghanistan their freedom from the Taliban. What a waste!! IMO of course.

Edit to add: Right under this story was the following story:

Taliban militants carry out amputation sentence

Reconciliation with the Taliban indeed.

[edit on 5/6/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Obamanation

Couldn't resist

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
We cannot get rid of the taliban...just cant.
They wont leave, and the people of Afhganistan dont really want them gone either...the only real solution is to try and get them a bit more moderate and friendly to the west overall.

The taliban really isn't the issue...they actually know how to control the insanity there..albeit harshly. The problem was they allowed for some extremist elements in their society.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

the only real solution is to try and get them a bit more moderate and friendly to the west overall.

Makes me curious as to what our offer will be?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
To hold peace talks with the taliban is like admitting hes not in there for a good enough reason.

top topics

join