It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IAEA Chief Focuses on Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   

IAEA Chief Focuses on Israel

abcnews.go.com

The head of the U.N. atomic watchdog is asking for international input on how to persuade Israel to join the Nonproliferation Treaty, in a move that is sure to add to pressure on the Jewish state to disclose its unacknowledged nuclear arsenal.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Is it me, or is the IAEA calling Israel out on their Nukes? For the most part "put up or shut-up" is what I'm getting from this. I am curious how Israel will respond to this "demand". I think there are a few neighboring Nations that would like to know what Israels packin'. This may be one to keep an eye on.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
wow just wow , about time dont you think so?

but then again how long will the persuasion is going to last.

i smell a VITO , any one?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Yeah definately a "Put up or shut up" situation ,problem is Israel likes the best of both worlds so now the ball has been smacked back into their side of the court it will be interesting to see how this plays out

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Fair play to Yukiya Amano a man with balls, moves are afoot, presumably he has the backing of other bodies and expects to be met with support, which govts do so will be interesting.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Originally posted by Thepreye

Fair play to Yukiya Amano a man with balls

Too bad we don't have them

The U.S. has cautiously supported the idea while saying that implementing it must wait for progress in the Middle East peace process. Israel also says a comprehensive Middle East peace settlement must come first.

Progress in the ME peace process?

Sighhhhh

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Man, I just hope it doesn't backfire. In the past, when Israel is backed into a corner it doesn't want to be in, they react unpredictably. There's really no way they can come out on top here. If they do finally join, the world will simply react with a "What took you so long? How arrogant." Then again, I never really got the impression that they cared too much about what others think of their foreign/domestic policy.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I'd say Israel has been clearly outplayed diplomatically. Ahmadinejad has mopped the floor with them. The man is a master statesman indeed.

It seems they've managed to turn around the IAEA and point it toward Israel instead. And that might force Israel back to the table on Palestine too.

Unfortunately I consider Netanyahu to be an unsophisticated brute, he was never ready to accept a Palestinian state, he's not going to shrink his own borders and when bullies like that can't get their own way with words they start using force.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
If this received enough publicity and Israel was willing it could make a big difference. It would definitely change my opinion about them. The U.N. could offer it as a bit of advice as to how to change world opinion and it would go a long way to defusing the tension in the Middle East. It would be a win, win situation for everyone especially if they were willing to reduce their stockpile and allow inspections like the rest of the members.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Ok, so we know Israel has WMDs (nukes); although it is not "official". My question is why don't "inspectors" go into Israel to confirm/deny this? I mean, when Iraq was accused of having them, they sent in inspectors. Iran had inspectors as well. What makes Israel "special" and exempts them from similar scrutiny?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Don't you know nuke inspections are anti-semitic? You don't hate Jews do you Aggie? /sarcasm

I think this is all blustering from the IAEA. In the end they aren't going to do anything because the U.S. won't allow it.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
I think this is all blustering from the IAEA. In the end they aren't going to do anything because the U.S. won't allow it.

Well it also gives Netanyahu the justification to say the international community isn't supporting Israel and we aren't going to help them with Iran. That the diplomatic track has failed, that Israel won't let it's existence or security ever depend on outside help or outside decisions again and they need to take care of Iran themselves.

Their entire society is based on the idea that we didn't help them and turned a blind eye during the holocaust, and that we're obligated to help them because of that. But if we don't then nobody should ever be able to threaten them. Never again to them means never again.

It's sick mindset they have that lets them think they have the right to do whatever they have to to anyone else to survive.

Even if it means destroy the world.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by belial259]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
About 41 years too late.

And of course 5 nuclear powers WANT A NUCLEAR ARMS FREE MIDDLE-EAST.

THAT MEANS ISRAEL TOO.

PUT ISRAEL INTO NATO, STRIP THEM OF THEIR NUKES, FORCE THEM BACK TO THEIR 1967 BORDERS.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

new topics

top topics

join