It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mentally Incapped people and discrimination

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
equality doesent play in to this .look at it from a logical stand point. whats more of a accomplishment a perfectly healy man walking 25 miles or a man with Cerebral palsy walking 25 miles. while the healthy man may be tired and had trouble doing the work, he is still able to do so with much more ease and less obstacles the the man with Cerebral palsy.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Why am I reminded of the young bride that wants a divorce because her husband leaves the seat up?

Many situations in life are worse than what they are and others are not nearly as traumatic as what we make them out to be. If it makes you feel any better, the praise heaped upon the guy probably was not received at the same level emotionally as you would perceive it.

One of the aspects of Autism is that very disconnect. Think of a joke that you have heard told that you just did not get. Others around you laughed, but it wasn't the same for you. Maybe it was more of an inside joke or one of those "just had to be there" deals.

For autistic people, that ambiguity of hearing and understanding the meaning is what their life is like. And usually it is of things that are more emotional in nature than just straightforward communication.

Or for another perspective, you can tell by my words that I do have some reasonable amount of intelligence but your description of your school structure made little sense to me because I am from America and UK school system structures are unfamiliar to me. But by the same token I could refer to something commonplace in America like an illegal motion and you might think of a point of parliamentary procedure instead of two receivers moving at the same time before the ball is snapped in American Football.

But I guess the bottom line here is get used to it, because in the corporate world you will see many that get the praise and rewards heaped upon them for what amounts to little or nothing while the ones doing the bulk of the work get nothing but grief for what they do.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
For those who think civil rights only extend to women and races a reminder:

www.r-word.org...
therword.org...

It's very hard for me to feel sorry for people who claim life is unfair when they use words like "retard". If you think someone is getting perks for being handicapped you are more than making up for it with your own bigotry so suck it up. If they get special treatment sometimes it's probably to compensate for the lousy treatment they get.

The N word gets automatically censored and a warning. NOTHING seems to happen when someone uses the R word. It is a shame as there are many posters with disabilities that post here.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

[edit on 7-5-2010 by riley]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Seems we cant use the correct words anymore to describe anyone... we have to stick to "politically correct words"... like "afro american" or "disabled" or whatever...

Sometime in the future we wont even be allowed to speak because anything we might may touch someone in a negative way.

hate the political correct... I call it by the name. Black is black, retarded is retarded, stupid is stupid, fat is fat, etc... grow some balls people.

As for the N word... well if they can call me cracker I can call them the N word... sorry bout my equality.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

By this philosophy if someone murders your child you will murder theirs!?!

Two wrongs do not always make a right!

Don’t get me wrong though... i have slipped up in the past, when someone called my wife the n-word i responded with violence.

Now if someone calls my wife the n-word or If someone calls me a cracker i will simply call them a racist... If i call them the n-word or respond with violence, i have fallen into their trap and they have won.

One thing that bugs me... why is the n-word censored but cracker is not??

Silly rule... Common sense should be applied here... if the n-word, cracker, or any other racist terminology, is used in an explanatory manner then it should be fine. If it is used in a derogatory manner or as a personal attack then the person using it in this offensive manner receives a life ban...

That would be a sure fire way of getting rid of some of the trash on ATS!!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Seems we cant use the correct words anymore to describe anyone... we have to stick to "politically correct words"... like "afro american" or "disabled" or whatever...

Sometime in the future we wont even be allowed to speak because anything we might may touch someone in a negative way.

If all thats coming out of your mouth is those bigoted slurs it's best that you don't speak. Being able to degrade people just for being different is not a right.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster
Silly rule... Common sense should be applied here... if the n-word, cracker, or any other racist terminology, is used in an explanatory manner then it should be fine. If it is used in a derogatory manner or as a personal attack then the person using it in this offensive manner receives a life ban...

Who decides what is an explanatory manner and what is a derogatory manner? ATS staff? What if there is disagreement among them whether somebody did or did not cross the line? It's a slippery slope between having a joke and receiving a life ban, don't you think?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost

Originally posted by Muckster

Who decides what is an explanatory manner and what is a derogatory manner? ATS staff? What if there is disagreement among them whether somebody did or did not cross the line? It's a slippery slope between having a joke and receiving a life ban, don't you think?

I thought it would be simple... if i say...

"somebody called one of my friends a n-word"

That is simply my using the n-word to explain a situation...

However, if i say...

"We have a lot of n-words living in London"

That is clearly derogatory and/or crude street slang which can be offensive and is clearly not wanted on ATS...

Only reason i mentioned it is because other rascist words are not altamatically filtered (such as cracker)

I do understand what you are saying though... amybe im being a little naive with regards to how many would abuse it and possibly overwhelm the ATS staff!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Just a few things to illuminate what may be going on Hayden. Since my son is autistic maybe I can enlighten.

Autism does not equal mental retardation in a lot of cases. Many people with autism are very intelligent, but do not have the language abilities to express it. One neurologist told me that, best case, my son would be highly intelligent, but a bit "weird". Though I prefer "quirky" this has been a correct assumption. It's also hard for people like my son to stay on task. Your classmate is likely getting praise for staying on task to complete a goal rather than for the complexity of the task.

Autism causes problems with social interactions. Often people with autism cannot "read" a person's face or body language. Sarcasm is hard to decipher since what language is understood is often understood literally. There are also frequent problems with change. It may actually be that your classmate is very uncomfortable if he doesn't have "his" chair. Since this is a minor issue, let him have the darn chair. I'm impressed he can drive and hope my son can do that some day.

Now, I'm with you that a 40 min one-on-one is absurd when other students are waiting. The correct solution would have been for the tutor to ask your classmate to wait, answer your question, then go back to the longer discussion. I expect my son to wait, though it took years to lengthen the time he could wait from 2 minutes to longer intervals.

The fact is, that you have to look at your classmate in terms of "won't" and "can't". It may be that he "can't" change chairs - if so, let it be. It's likely that he can, but "won't", wait for assistance, and that behavior shouldn't be encouraged.

Congrats on credit, and good luck in future classes.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Probably because the N-word has no other meaning, whereas a cracker is also a cruchy savoury biscuit, often used in conjunction with cheese.

BTW, as I previously stated the word "retarded" or "Mental retardation" is a medical term and so, therefore cannot be derogatory.

mental retardation

Subnormal intellectual development or functioning that is the result of congenital causes, brain injury, or disease and is characterized by any of various deficiencies, ranging from impaired learning ability to social and vocational inadequacy. Also called mental deficiency.

(The American Heritage:Medical Dictionary)

To refer to someone as a "retard" is no longer generally accepted in the medical profession and so can be classed as derogatory, especially since the organisers of the Special Olympics have been trying to get the wrd banned.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Thank you for explaining your position to me.

Most people would respect that rule. Unfortunately, there will be enough people that do NOT to cause unpleasantness for the majority.

[edit on 10/5/2010 by Dark Ghost]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join