It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Bug Exposes Private Chats

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Facebook Bug Exposes Private Chats

www.pcworld.com

A bug allowed Facebook users to view their friends' chat sessions on the site, prompting the social-networking company to disable its internal instant-messaging service. The bug also let people see their friends' pending friend requests.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.eweek.com
www.v3.co.uk
news.cnet.com
online.wsj.com

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Facebook is letting your friends read your private chat messages you send to others.

This is like cyber-espionage.

Also, remember to keep your profiles as private as possible, but it's OK to open some info to others.

www.pcworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I hate facebook. Here is an old story about issues involving facebook.

PC world facebook article

I know social networking has its place, however putting all your personal info on one of these sites is just plain dumb. My girlfriend got a nasty malware on her computer that took me 2 days to get rid of and not with using conventional means. I tried using the popular malware/spyware scanners and they wouldnt even work. I tried downloading certain programs known to attack the specific malware and they wouldnt install. i had to go through all the files and registry and delete everything manually and then becauseit jacked up her windows files so bad i had to do a complete reinstal of windows. The malware even prevents you from restoring to a previous restore point. Was wicked to say the least. The name of it was "Protection system" i beleive. Anyways just another reason to not use facebook if you ask me. They allow people to make 3rd party apps and place them on the site for downloading. this is how she got her problem and i suspect many others did too. Thank god for the super tech geniuses out there who keep bulletin boards going for people like me to read up on the latest and greatest threats to our computers.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Lol. I hate Facebook too.

I see it as a dark portal that once opened, cannot seem to be controlled. Problems just pour out of it. I wonder how many arguements this caused?

This is how I see Facebook:

[edit on 6/5/10 by NuclearPaul]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Being a teen, I'm using facebook alot, yes, but I try to not give too much info..
I know I shouldn't even use facebook according to ATS
But honestly, I don't see the real danger on facebook :\

That said, atleast I know that if I share too much, maybe my infos can be used against me,etc. but not everyone knows this. And everyone should know that there is a danger, even if you don't know it's there!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Lol, It seems like south park is a popular show among ATS users

I personally think Facebook is stupid. It is helpful to catch up with old friends. But besides that what is the point? Whatever happened to phones, or email?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by fizzy1

I know social networking has its place, however putting all your personal info on one of these sites is just plain dumb. My girlfriend got a nasty malware on her computer that took me 2 days to get rid of and not with using conventional means. I tried using the popular malware/spyware scanners and they wouldnt even work. I tried downloading certain programs known to attack the specific malware and they wouldnt install. i had to go through all the files and registry and delete everything manually and then becauseit jacked up her windows files so bad i had to do a complete reinstal of windows. The malware even prevents you from restoring to a previous restore point. Was wicked to say the least. The name of it was "Protection system" i beleive. Anyways just another reason to not use facebook if you ask me. They allow people to make 3rd party apps and place them on the site for downloading. this is how she got her problem and i suspect many others did too. Thank god for the super tech geniuses out there who keep bulletin boards going for people like me to read up on the latest and greatest threats to our computers.

What antivirus program do you use?

I suggest you start using programs of non-U.S. origin, such as AVG, which is of Czech origin.

NSA is in bed with the major U.S. antivirus software companies because they are in league with domestic espionage.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Isn't the real lesson here that we all should accept that anything we post on the Net, is potentially open to everyone?

When I was in Forensics School, the instructor kept saying this.

"Don't post anything on the Internet, you would not put on a Billboard in your home town"

I personally think too many of our younger generation, my daughters included, post too much intensely personal information on FB and other such sites...

Semper

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Only a fool would assume that ANYTHING they do online is in any way private.

Online privacy doesn't exist on any site, anywhere.

You are no more assured privacy online than you are on a cell phone, or cordless phone.

You had better do everything online with the clear expectation that everything you do can be seen or monitored by others.

If not then you are an ignorant fool!

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Fractured.Facade]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Kinda reminds one of Grandma's advice about never writing anything down you wouldn't want everyone to see ... only now, instead of written on paper, it's written online. Which is even worse, probably. Grandma is always right!

MBF

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

I use AVG too and I still think I have something in my computer. Every once in a while it just goes crazy opening up windows and the mouse pointer jumps all over the place. It also just freezes up and the mouse pointer will not move so I just have to turn it off. I can't log off or shut down. It's a pain in the rear end.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ironfalcon

What antivirus program do you use?

I suggest you start using programs of non-U.S. origin, such as AVG, which is of Czech origin.

NSA is in bed with the major U.S. antivirus software companies because they are in league with domestic espionage.

Yep she had AVG as well as malware bytes and both were disabled by the malware she got. The program was designed to disable and prevent any further installations of the same said programs as well as about 15 other popular antivirus and spyware/malware scanner removers. Was a huge issue. It was called PC protection system. It creates popups all over you computer saying you are infected with viruses as well as not allowing you do do anything else on the comp when a popup happens. It also hijacked the browser. Was a pain to clean.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Isn't the real lesson here that we all should accept that anything we post on the Net, is potentially open to everyone?

When I was in Forensics School, the instructor kept saying this.

"Don't post anything on the Internet, you would not put on a Billboard in your home town"

I personally think too many of our younger generation, my daughters included, post too much intensely personal information on FB and other such sites...

Semper

I agree. My son is 9 and i wont let him near the internet unless i am in the room and can see what he is doing. I had a friend who "trusted" her kid who was 16 at the time and later she found out that she was talking to guys of different age ranges. Some were even 21 and supposedly didnt know they were talking to a 16yr old kid. She grounded her from the computer thinking that would solve the problem but what she didnt know until later was that the daughter posted her email address online somewhere i think facebook maybe. So the kid was checking her emails from her cell phone and replying. So later she took the phone away.
We live in an age where we think we are protected by our ability to be anonymous online but thats a very thin veil we rely on way to much.

Awhile back i saw a show about police who were trying to educate kids and parents about online safety. This police officer got this teenage girl to talk to him pretending to be a young kid. After a hour or so of talking he had enough information on the girl to know what city she lived in and that she was a cheerleder in highschool and knew the mascot for the school and a few other innocent seeming things that the girl assumed in no way gave up her identity. He knew only her first name. After that he tracked this kid down to the school she went to and it was easy to find a cheerleader that matched her description at the school she went to. he ended up at the parents house the next day and introduced himself. The parents were shocked. i cant remember what show i saw this on but it proved to me that its way to easy to find someone using what we think is harmless information. If someone can steal your identity with what they can find in your trash, imagine how much of your information is out there on the internet waiting to be taken. Its very scary to me.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I love that south South Park Video, so true.
One good thing about facebook is you can show people what you want to see whether true or not.
EG. I want a quiet night at home tonight - Facebook status = "Going to in laws tonight for dinner and watch the Footy GO PARRA!!!!"
No one will bother me at home tonight
and there are plenty more things you can do

[edit on 7-5-2010 by JaquVanCouger] Typo's

[edit on 7-5-2010 by JaquVanCouger]

MBF

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Yep she had AVG as well as malware bytes and both were disabled by the malware she got. The program was designed to disable and prevent any further installations of the same said programs as well as about 15 other popular antivirus and spyware/malware scanner removers. Was a huge issue. It was called PC protection system. It creates popups all over you computer saying you are infected with viruses as well as not allowing you do do anything else on the comp when a popup happens. It also hijacked the browser. Was a pain to clean.

Sounds like what I have. How did you get rid of it?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I hope this is not an ongoing problem. I get more and more hesitant to rely on the internet for anything these days

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MBF

i searched for the name of the popup thing that kept popping up. It was calling itself PC protection system and wanted us to buy this scanner to get rid of supposed viruses. When i searched for it i found a few tech forums that had information on how to get rid of it. The problem was that the only way to actually get rid of it was to do a line by line erase of the registry in the correct spots. You have to be very careful with editing your registry or else you can screw up windows if your using windows. I dont know jack about linux systems but not sure if they are affected by this type of malware. Anyways after i was able to get it all gone and no more pop ups there were still crashes happening and i called in a friend of mine who is a network administrator and he said it looked as if windows system files had been damaged and easiest thing to do was to just reinstall windows. I tried to do a system restore but one of the things it said on the tech forum was that this particular malware erases restore points. I mean the guys who created this thing covered alot of bases trying to make sure it would be a devil to get rid of. I managed to get her browser back from being hijacked and no more pop ups but in the end it was reinstallation that fixed her for good. Now she has a brand new comp and i warned her about screwing around on facebook so she doesnt download anything anymore unless its from someone she knows.
I used to wonder if the antivirus companies dont hire hackers to create problems just so they can stay in the business of fixing them. I still wonder today if thats not the case.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Facebook has ruined more marriages than anything else in the modern world, mine included (my fault, not the ex wifes)

Its handy for mafia wars and for getting in touch with old girlfriends or girls you fancied at school and trying it on

Thats it. Well for me anyway

Should be renamed flirtbook or more accurately f###book

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by expatwhite

yep as a matter of fact me and my girlfriend almost broke up due to facebook. She decided to look up old friends and when she ran out of people to look up she then started with old boyfriends. She found one who was way needy andin a bad relationship and it didnt help me and her were having issues at the time. I found out and put her on notice. Me or him and it ends now. that was 2 years ago and he still trys to contact her but she doesnt have anything to do with him. I know the appeal to facebook and i know why she did it. Its nice to feel like someone out there loves you and wants to give you all that love and attention and people can be starving for attention. It also helped to wake me up to the little attention i was giving at the time. I am glad it ended well or i would be telling another sad story of facebook. On the downside though she is hooked on mafia wars and farmville. Its ok because when she pulls out the comp to go farming i grab the 360 controller and snipe a few teenagers on call of duty mw2 lol.

MBF

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by fizzy1

Thanks fizzy. I have received several videos from people that I don't know and never opened them for this reason. I may have to call in my computer geek down the road.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join