It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
According to the BBC broadcast this morning (BST), former President Ronald Regan died from a long battle with Alzheimer's disease. Can I just ask how he can die from it?

I always thought that it was just where the brain couldn't process memories properly and so you would become forgetful.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The memory loss and personality changes are a symptom of the physical damage that is occuring in the brain due to the build up of plaques.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
BTW,
It's Reagan, another cabinet member was Regan.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
President Reagan was 93 years old after all. The alzheimer's probably weakened his health and only contributed to his death, not caused it.
Maybe they will tell us??

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Reagen had cancer (im very sure), i think that's why mostly he died.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
Reagen had cancer (im very sure), i think that's why mostly he died.

Yeah, in 1985.
Surgery removed it and he's been cancer-free for nearly 20 years.
He didn't die from cancer.

Alzheimer's disease causes the loss of brain cells, which can affect everything from memory loss as the disease emerges all the way to automatic functions like breathing and heartbeat as the disease progresses.
It is always fatal and there is no cure.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
They said it was pneumonia that finally took him.

apnews.myway.com...

[edit on 6-6-2004 by Namtar]

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The BBC stated it was Pneumonia caused by the Alzheimers. Does this mean that the disease wiped out the part that deals with the immune system?

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 05:38 AM
link   
If you get pnuemonia at 93, alzhiemer's or not...you're probably on your last leg.

People die at 93 from nothing.

What Alzheimers did more than likely was just make it impossible for him to care for himself. Which others did for him.

Had he been poor or alone, Alzheimers would have killed him ten years ago. Or rather, some complication thereof. Falling, forgetting to eat (my Great grandmother did that), forgetting your meds. That stuff.

top topics

join