It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lieberman to roll out 'Terrorism Expatriation Act' Thursday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Lieberman to roll out 'Terrorism Expatriation Act' Thursday

thehill. com

Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) will unveil legislation Thursday that revokes the citizenship of Americans who join foreign terrorist groups.

Lieberman will be joined by Rep. Jason Altimire (D-Pa.), who is introducing companion legislation in the House, as well as Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.) and Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.)

The chairman of the Senate Homeland Security Committee drew a brief sketch of the bill Tuesday, saying that it would amend existing law that prevents Americans from joining foreign armies, besides Israel's, at the cost of their citizenship.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
So will this new legislation protect us from the terrorists? Or will it be used to round up US citizens as the Rex 84 program is fully realized?

I am not one for scaremongering but this new bill scares the hell out of me. Already we have been asked to give up so many rights. Now you can be accused and the accusation alone will strip you of your rights as you get arrested , tried , and convicted as non citizen and illegal combatant.

OR will this new legislation scare potential terrorists strait and make them reconsider joining foreign armies at the cost of their citizenship?

If you ask me, I do not believe those willing to commit crimes care much about breaking the law. However the citizens that voice dissent may want to rethink their words lest their words be used as justification to label them "non citizens".

thehill. com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Non US citizens can be taken to military bases and interrogated using enhanced interrogation techniques, also known in the civilized world as torture.

Hmm, now I see why they want this.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
"besides Israel's," ???

WTF ????

is that not racial profiling ???

Do we have too many Jewish
sympathizers in Washington ???

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
My biggest concern is that eventually, this is going to be expanded to cover people who join "domestic terrorist groups" as well as "foreign terrorist groups."

In other words, "you disagree with the government, you're a 'terrorist', you're getting black-bagged and shipped to Gitmo."

Just speculation, but it sounds like too tempting a prospect for them to not give it a try.

TheAssoc.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Do we have too many Jewish
sympathizers in Washington ???

Of course we do. They donate tons of money to campaign efforts and throw away more in lobby efforts. Washington is lining its pockets with money from the Jewish community.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   

existing law that prevents Americans from joining foreign armies, besides Israel's.....

Is this for real...? Do we really have a law that allows US Citizens to join Israel's (and only Israel's) army? I had no idea we bent over that far for them.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Awesome.

I was watching this guy on Good Morning America today talking about the increase in "small cell" and "loan wolf" acts and how we couldnt realistically do anything to stop them and how "globalization" has gotten to a point where there are no real super powers so the fight has come to governments versus angry individuals world wide.

Must be why Obama expanded the watch list to everyone on earth, sent the CIA to kill an American citizen and renewed the PA without hesitation.

Now they want legislation saying any one of these angry individuals is no longer a citizen so they can continue on with the Bush torturing but justify it to the people better.

It wont be long before none of us are citizens and we have to earn citizen status through military service or something similar. Consequently, such a policy would go a long way to reducing government debt as all of those non-citizens couldnt be on the dole.

It's sad watching the real world turn into the world portrayed by 80's movies mock future news reel clips like RoboCop and Total Recall.

I just realized that I cant think of a recent big brother dystopic sci-fi flick. They used to be all the rage. There must be some. Children of Men is the most recent one I can think of and that's pretty old.

Is the dystopia a theme of the past? We're here so why make movies about it? May be worth a thread of it's own.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

Wait, I thought that was Bush's M.O.?

The bad thing about it is, they should be tried for treason, FIRST. Then maybe, before they get executed, strip them of the citizenship.

I think the whole idea is as you said, to interrogate.

BUt if that is the case, that would be by military tribunal, and Obama would have to sign the death warrant. Against Muslims.

All the shakeup over KSM and Fort Hood is, he doesn't want to DO that.

new topics

top topics

join