It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

bright star that just dimmed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I was just looking up at the big dipper where i live and i seen this very bright star looks like venus thats currently in the sky i watched it for a second or two and it just slowly fades out.. what is this? does anyone know what i just seen? maybe cme reflecting off a star??

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by gerg357

often times a satellite can look that way.
we see them often from the observatory.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Hmm i dunno ive never seen this before and the "star" didnt move it just kinda shined for a second then it just fades out kinda like a star burning out but the star shining was as big as the venus star its just caught me as odd to see it then to watch it fade out. i figured it was the light off a cme that caught a star but i guess it would catch more the one.... lol

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by gerg357

yeah, you never know bro..
we sometimes see things we can't explain
from way up on the mountain at the observatory,
really dark skies, lots of milky way.....

and we do sometimes see things that none of us can find a good explanation for...
and most of the guys up there have been doing this astronomy stuff since before I was born..
and some doing it since my parents were children!

Im the "young'un" up there[29] ....
So sometimes I do jump quick at something I find "odd" and they are quick to correct me..
but when they also have no idea what we are looking at or what we've just seen...
I feel a little better about it being something "special".. as no one can come up with an explanation for it. .. other than.. [ must be the aliens] haha, [they really do say that!] more joking I think though,
but a few of them do take it 'seriously', like i do. lol

Keep lookin up bro,
Clear skies!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
did it go behind a cloud??
or maybe some dark object

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
It could be just a satillite but who knows. I do agree to keep looking though, you never know what you are gonna find up there. I too have experienced something familiur to this but it was a moving object and it had a redish glow. It didn't blink or change its color at all and was prety high up there. Do sattilites have a red glow?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MIB2012

No they dont have a reddish colour

How big was it? was it a planet sized?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by MIB2012

No they dont have a reddish colour

How big was it? was it a planet sized?

No, it wasnt planet sized. It was rather small really. No sound came from it either and it flew southward.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
who knows.. could have been a super-nova

trillions of stars. some one is bound to see at least one of them blow up.

I aint a rocket-surgeon... 'case you couldn't tell.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
thats what im thinking too, could of been a supernova

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

maybe someone can answer what I believe to have been a huge naked eye ray burst on 4-29-10 @8.30 Texas time directly overhead when the stars first start coming out-is that hercules? judging off the video of grb080319 it looked identical (slowly started continued getting brighter than faded out slowly) but much larger like venus big maybe a little bigger thought for sure I would see a news article and nothing

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by No King but Jesus

What you are describing is close to what i seen tonight. It was about the size of venus it looked like venus but venus had already faded out. I looked at it and it looked bright.. This was maybe for a few seconds then it was like it just faded out. It didnt get brighter but it could have gotten brighter before i looked up and seen it.. I dunno exactly what i seen but it was a wierd site to see. It could have been a supernova i dunno what they look like or how they act. It just looked wild to see a bright star like that just fade black.. very interesting..

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
oh and this object wasnt moving and there wasnt a cloud in the sky this was on a very clear night and the star had no red tint or anything just looked like a oversized star like how venus would look.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

Man,I wish I had your job Ahmose!Heck,I make pizza for a living.Lol!

Cool post Ahmose.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I saw one of these tonight. I just happened to be looking at a patch of sky when I came out of work. Perfectly clear sky, then a "star" appeared, very bright, then just faded out completely. It was white and did not move, even slightly.

I guess these must be satellites, but I didn't see one like that before. Perhaps geostationary satellites can do this sometimes.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by gerg357
reply to post by No King but Jesus

What you are describing is close to what i seen tonight. It was about the size of venus it looked like venus but venus had already faded out. I looked at it and it looked bright.. This was maybe for a few seconds then it was like it just faded out. It didnt get brighter but it could have gotten brighter before i looked up and seen it.. I dunno exactly what i seen but it was a wierd site to see. It could have been a supernova i dunno what they look like or how they act. It just looked wild to see a bright star like that just fade black.. very interesting..

I have seen this exact phenomenon 2 or 3 times recently. It appears as a very dim star which then gets increasingly brighter until its the brightest star in the sky and then it fades out. The first time I saw this it happened right where Venus should have been about to appear so it was rather strange. Fairly certain now though it was just an iridium flare although none of them were moving across sky at speed like satellites normally appear??

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
My husband and I were looking at the stars last night and saw what looked like a star to the east of the Big Dipper shining brightly and then dimming until it could no longer be seen. It did this consistently, and from what we could observe it remained in the same place in the sky. Like someone has previously said, it looked a lot like Venus when it was shining brightly. Sometimes it would be gone for as long as 10-15 seconds, and then come back and gradually grow bright.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gerg357

My husband and I were looking at the stars last night and saw what looked like a star to the east of the Big Dipper shining brightly and then dimming until it could no longer be seen. It did this consistently, and from what we could observe it remained in the same place in the sky. Like someone has previously said, it looked a lot like Venus when it was shining brightly. Sometimes it would be gone for as long as 10-15 seconds, and then come back and gradually grow bright.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I hope you're aware that if you say "like Venus" it must have been very, very bright since Venus is the brightest object in the sky after the sun and the moon. So..it must have been a spectacular sight for sure.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRulesAllowed

I realize this is an old thread but couple nights ago here Dec nineteenth 2013 my family and I witnessed an object that we thought was Venus. It was very bright but looking through binoculars it was flashing red, blue, green, purplish and the colors appeared to rotate. You could see the flickering of color with the naked eye. It was amazing. We watched for about hour. Strange thing is the next day or night it was gone.

I also noticed that the stars and the moon appear different. It is as if our rotation or poles have shifted. Or they have. Did anyone else see this phenomenon, I am in the southern U.S and it appeared in the rising east to southeastern sky.

Very strange.

The Bot

top topics

<<   2 >>

join