It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for LEGIT anthropology resource sites.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Hey everyone, I didn't see any other threads on this, and was wondering if we can get a good list of anthropology/archaeology related sites in one spot.

I'm starting school in June for this, so it is a bit greedy for me, but in general I think a centralized location of good and refutable site would benefit everyone that may be trying to find stuff on this site, but don't really know where to go to research information they aren't entirely sure of, and don't want to sound like an idiot for stating their own speculations.

(Sorry again if there is already a thread for this information)

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I am jealous that you are going to school for this! I would love to see some legit sites if anyone has any links.

I know i may get some crap for this, but i am fascinated with the works of Graham Hancock. There are two books you may want to check out, Fingerprints of the Gods and Underworld: The Mysterious Origins of Civilization. He uses questionable evidence sometimes but i think it will help give you a different point of view from your professors, some that they probably will not teach.

Good luck with your school and keep up with it! My favorite archaeology site is Puma Punka and Tiahuanaco in South America:

www.world-mysteries.com...

Fingerprints of the Gods starts out with this site and he thinks it could be one of the oldest sites in the world, being older than the Great Pyramids.

Do you know how to scuba dive? I believe most of the world's most ancient sites are underwater. There is a very cool site in Japan that looks to be man made, if so it has to be thousands of years old, probably around 10,000 years old:

I chose this video because the quality of the video is amazing. I have never seen such great evidence of it being man made. How any scientists can say this is NOT man made must be out of their mind!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Good resources? Gads... there's bazillions of them. It depends if you want archaeology, ancient civilizations, linguistics, internet anthropology, forensic anthropology, applied anthropology, cultural anthropology, medical anthropology, game theory, etc, etc. -- and then there's all the multidisciplinary fields where anthropological techniques are a vital part of the study (my own field of information science is one such field.)

When in doubt, look it up on Wikipedia, which will link the major authors and books.

For ancient Egypt, I like Catchpenny's and I *used* to like Tour Egypt (they recently redid their site and it's soooooo... 'touristy' and it's turning lightweight)
www.touregypt.net...
www.catchpenny.org/

For Sumer, I like the Sumerian FAQ:
home.comcast.net...

(I really can't list ALL of them, because it goes from Pitt's site for mythology to the online works of Franz Boas and on and on and on and on.)

Modern research -- of course, the AAA: www.aaanet.org...
Science Daily for recent news -- www.sciencedaily.com...

Or this for browsing:
www.cyberpursuits.com...

Forensic anthropology:
www.forensicanthro.com...

...and then there's the theories that you'll have to learn such as structuralism and grounded theory and diffusionism and so forth (Wikipedia is your friend here).

And the big names (you will hear Foucalt, Meade, Boas, Radcliffe-Brown, Worf, Sapir, Morgan, Benedict, Durkheim, Wolf
en.wikipedia.org...

...and on and on and on.

Got specific interests? Just ask! My Masters' is in Applied Anthropology and I've done and published research on the anthropology of online communities (but I also have done some archaeology field work and do some rock art research.)

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Well,I just Googled the phrase."really good anthropology sites" and a few showed up.

I was assuming you meant web sites and not physical digs(sites).

But in my search, I ran into this article that fits right in to what ATS is about.

Anthropologist uncovers how global elites undermines democracy.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

What she said......

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Seitler

I usually check the latest news section of this site every couple of days:

Archeology Magazine

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

THANK YOU SOO MUCH!

That was a lot of information, and I hope the sites will come into context later on in my studies.

BeastMaster2012: Yes I love Puma Punku as well. It's the ONE site I can't wait to see. I say, GO FOR IT! We need more people in the anthropology field, go look into a community college to start on the associates of applied arts/science. I'm working my way up to Kent State in Ohio.

I'm not sure where to go for my upper level degree, any suggestions?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Seitler

My favourite site for paleoanthropology is John Hawkes' blog...he's an Associate Prof. You'll see a lot of linkes to other sites down the left side of the site...he needs to update! A couple have been offline since 08.

john hawks weblog: paleoanthropology, genetics, and evolution

I've been looking into starting an anthro degree recently. None are flexible enough for my current employment or location. I hope you get a lot out of your studies

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

top topics

join