It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greek Riots Escalate, Branch Of Finance Ministry Set On Fire

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Greek Riots Escalate, Branch Of Finance Ministry Set On Fire

www.zerohedge.com

ATHENS (MNI) – A building belonging to Greece’s Finance Ministry was set afire Wednesday by rioters protesting the stringent four-year austerity plan the Greek government has agreed to accept in exchange for up to E110 billion in aid from fellow Eurozone countries and theInternational Monetary Fund.

The Finance Ministry issued a statement Wednesday night saying that no crucial documents had been lost, though the damage to the building was extensive.

The fire came on a day when a general strike against the government’s new fiscal plan erupted into violence, leaving thre
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
At least the Greek have balls.

It's like putting the FED on fire. That would be nice.

The financial ministry cooked the numbers to enter the european union and made deals with Goldman Sachs... so BOOHOO. LET THEM BURN.

GO GREEK PEOPLE! Americans will end up doing the same thing when the US falls to the IMF.

Related...
Greek President : Greece on the edge of abyss

Well guess what TARD? YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE SCREWED YOUR OWN PEOPLE.

www.zerohedge.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Somebody should compile all of the video of the Greeks tearing up their own country and put it on DVD and sell it as "Progressives Gone Wild!"

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Yes, the more I see of the Greek people, the more I like them. Screw the Banks, DEFAULT, DEFAULT, DEFAULT........

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Wow!!! this BBC video, tell's it all, it seem's!!!

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I seriously doubt the bailout happens now.
Germany won't give funds to an angry mob.
They will have half the city burned down
by the weekend. And the Greek Revolution
begins. And it's the banks and gov's fault
for screwing over the people.

the world is about to change
good or bad

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

The banks and the government screwing over the people? More like the people being spoiled rotten by the banks and the government until the people screwed over themselves.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

The banks and the government screwing over the people? More like the people being spoiled rotten by the banks and the government until the people screwed over themselves.

Yeah let's blame the people...

This is what bullies do. Blame the victim.

Sorry but THE GOVERNMENT AND THE BANKS LIED ABOUT EVERYTHING WHICH LEAD TO THIS CRISIS.

The people are not responsible.

I guess the american people is responsible too for the derivative scam and artificially low interest rates and giving 500.000$ loans to people who had no income?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Victims, lol.

Victims of their own selfishness and laziness maybe.

Just like the US they had a country full of people who wanted a nanny state and said "Let the rich pay". Now you see where that gets you.

You have been warned.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlickOil
reply to post by boondock-saint

You're spot on! (I'm not being sarcastic)

As for the Greek citizens...yeah burning down a building you'll have to pay to replace is really gonna help your debt problems.

Originally posted by VitchiloYeah let's blame the people...

This is what bullies do. Blame the victim.

Sorry but THE GOVERNMENT AND THE BANKS LIED ABOUT EVERYTHING WHICH LEAD TO THIS CRISIS.

The people are not responsible.

I guess the american people is responsible too for the derivative scam and artificially low interest rates and giving 500.000$ loans to people who had no income?

Ah, yes, math doesn't exist! I believe we can spend forever! (that's the type of thinking that got the people in trouble and foreclosed on...and it's no different than the government spending blindly on promises just so they can get reelected.) As for those huge loans, I remember when the banks and government came and busted down people's doors forcing them to take those loans that they couldn't afford.

It this is everyone's view on personal responsibility (the businessman did it!); then quite frankly this world is #ed.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Eupore will see a new European Revolution Soon everyone will rise up, not just in greece, even in serbia, italy.

And of course in Canada/America.

The above statemented just saying this as an prediction, which usually my predictions oddly are sometimes always correct.

Just be prepared dont hide just be ready if things go out of head. Just be prepared dont hide just be ready if things go out of head.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
All of this over $300 billion. Nancy Pelosi stuffs her bra with $300 billion. Wait till the US falls, there won't be anyone on Earth capable of bailing her out.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
You mean like this pic?

4.bp.blogspot.com...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
I seriously doubt the bailout happens now.
Germany won't give funds to an angry mob.
They will have half the city burned down
by the weekend. And the Greek Revolution
begins. And it's the banks and gov's fault
for screwing over the people.

the world is about to change
good or bad

I agree with you. I can't see the Germans giving money because of the mobs and damage being done. The Germans know that those austerity programs that greece announced won't be done, pure and simple. To many people in Greece is on the dole of one form or another and they won't allow their govt. to make them poorer because of their banks fiscal irresponsibility. You just don't have young people in the crowds, you have old people (pensioners) professionals and even the Air Force and other govt. institutions fighting against this. How in gods name will the Greek govt. operate a country where 80% of the people don't like this deal. So if Germany gives the money Greece has it and won't do those austerity measures and Germany have thrown money down the hole. Also why is it that all the other countries are waiting for Germany to put their money in first (even though theres is the lion share). It almost seems like they are trying to be the last person in and when it's there turn they say we can't or no we have second thoughts.

"The modern Greek culture is so dependent upon government largesse, and is so used to the fact that Greek fiscal irresponsibility will be bailed out by the taxes paid by responsible German workers and businessmen, that we cannot see this being resolved short of Greece being summarily tossed out of the EMU, or removing itself voluntarily,"

The Euro and the EU is going down and some countries (especially Germany) think it may be a good idea. They floated some trial balloons last week about Germany leaving the EU.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Let's clear something up, before I go on with my story. Greece is not given money by anyone to retain the standard of living in acceptable levels. The "bailout billions" are destined to land in the pockets of the institutions that loaned Greece money and NOT the Greek people. That's right the money will go to the banks that caused this in the first place.

I have been following the discussion about my country in various internet forums so far and I am glad ATS is not full of comments like "the Greeks are lazy", "let them burn" and crazy stuff like that.

You may ask, why I say they are "crazy". I was born and raised in Greece. I studied Computer Science in University of Crete and next week I am drafted to the compulsory army service. We are no different to any of you. We are regular people, doing our jobs and most of the time working our butts off just to get less than half than many of our fellow Europeans get. Wikipedia lists Greece below every single country we are being compared to here. The truth is way further down than this of course, since the average is misleading. It's only the top 10-20% that gets most of it and the vast majority of common folks survive on minimum wage. In 1993 the wealth distribution was like this and I assure you, since then, wealth was concentrated more and more to the upper classes, exactly as the rest of the developed world. Many studies and documentaries named my generation the "700 Euro generation" with common characteristics being the huge unemployment rate and the fact that most of us cannot afford renting a house and we keep living with our parents.

Bare in mind, that our goods and services cost as much as the rest of EU now. We don't think we are any better than any of you due to our history (Yeah, I heard that in forums too!). We do not hate the Turkish, the FYROM or any other people. We can tell the difference between a neighbouring family like ours and the interests of political/military complexes. Our taxes are not low at all... the ones evading are not people like you and me! We keep pondering where the heck do all these money vanish as our big "public works" are not public at all. The Athens Metro, the new Airport, the rio Bridge, the big Attica road ALL Privately owned by big German companies. All public services companies, telecom (OTE), power etc are also sold to big German and other wealthy nation interests.

We also have TV, Newspapers and all the typical mass media your country has including the false dilemma between two "opposing" political parties that are exactly the same in principle. When we protest, we are told, this is not the way to go, look at the victims etc.

Some of us, even realise that all nations fell for the same scams with the two parties, the banks that run everything, the fact that every single country in the "western" world has a huge debt to private institutions and much more. In what ways do you believe we are different to you? Chances is that your country owes more than mine and it is run by the same people.

I am young and I would sincerely appreciate any advice. What we should do in your opinion? We don't want to starve more in order to repay debts we never wanted in the first place. We don't want to go on with the sale-out of any national resources we have left after all this scam. We don't want to be the excuse for a burden to Germans or any other nation. What can I *realistically* do? I have been trying to inform anyone in my circle and never voted for the two big parties.

Thank you,
a common Greek folk

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Yep, the bailout money is going to BIG BANKS, not the greek people.

Also, Merkel, she's a sell out to the big banks. She said she will pass the bailout, even if the majority of germans are against it and the political opposition will vote against it.

Merkel ain't patriotic, she's a sellout, like Bush, Obama, Blair or Brown.

The Greek people are being screwed. The scum blaming the people for this are just sick.

THE BANKS PLANNED THIS COLLAPSE. WE HAVE THE DOCUMENTS, WE PREDICTED IT. WE KNOW.

Of course, some ignorant people bought the lies that all was fine and dandy, so let's flip this house, after all everyone is saying the economy is just going up and up! But guess what, THEY WERE LIED TO.

When some hot chick was lied to by Ted Bundy until he killed her, do you blame the ignorant chick who believed him or Ted Bundy who lied to her to kill her? You who blame the people are blaming the girl, not the serial killer.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by thesdocos

The money is going to the banks around the world that loaned money to your government so they could keep living beyond their means. If Greece had gotten its house in order years ago and quit borrowing money like a crack addict keeps buying crack, Greece wouldnt be in this mess.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlickOil

The money is going to the banks around the world that loaned money to your government so they could keep living beyond their means. If Greece had gotten its house in order years ago and quit borrowing money like a crack addict keeps buying crack, Greece wouldnt be in this mess.

Do you honestly believe that me, or the average folk in my country has been leaving beyond his means? Do you honestly believe, that those "banks" have earned all those money by doing some type of hard work? We are talking about amounts of money that define the living of 11 MILLION people here.

I am naive and deluded. I just seek advice. I am saying that deep from my heart and I am being 100% honest. I came here just to ask for your advice folks, as a young Greek, because I really value your opinion.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I dont know whether you are living beyond your means but your government was spending more money than it was collecting in taxes. So in order to make up the dfference they borrowed money. Lots of money.

Banks deserve to get interest on their money. How would they even break even if even one person defaulted if they didnt charge interest?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SlickOil

Uhm, agreed. Let us default then. And if a fellow European/American/Whatever wants to help, give it to the people.

If the interest is to make up for the risk, why do the media/politicians insist banks should NOT lose the money? They risked a lot, if not directly caused this. If we get help, I guarantee you, that with those measures we will have even lower GDP and the percentage of debt will go UP instead of down. In addition to that we will starve more, the EU will pay lots and when I say the EU I mean the people again.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join