It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Software decodes emotions over the phone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Software decodes emotions over the phone

www.msnbc.msn.com

An Israeli company called eXaudios has developed a computer program, known as Magnify, that decodes the human voice to identify a person's emotional state. Some companies in the United States already use the system in their call centers. eXaudios is even testing the software's use in diagnosing medical conditions like autism, schizophrenia, heart disease and even prostate cancer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Oh wow. Doesn't anyone see the privacy issues with this one?

It's taken eXaudios well over a decade to develop Magnify, said Levanon. Magnify works by teasing apart a person voice, separating the frequencies and measuring various qualities of those wavelengths, such as their intonation and intensity.

Magnify is not 100 percent accurate, however. Between 17 percent and 24 percent of the time Magnify fails to identify a caller's correct emotions.

"We tried to find physical rules that explained why we were wrong," said Levanon. "What we found was that there was a medical reason we were wrong."

Although it is not 100% accurate in decoding your emotions, I can see medical advances in this tech in helping doctors diagnose their patients, but will it be used responsibly?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/5/2010 by ugie1028]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Bull#.

It is correct to whatever percentage only within the cultural context of those who wrote it.

I'm probably further along than just about anyone in creating a map of the range of human emotions, and this sort of thing is highly improbable. The number of variables is truly enormous, and any shorthand you use requires an exceedingly deep understanding of the culture of the person you are examining. By deep I mean knowing their national, ethnic, family, work, play, friendship and enemy cultures.

I wouldn't trust this without some pretty hard proof.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Actually it's quite possible. When people speak with a different range of emotions their speech pitch, speed, range all change. So if you think about it in software terms, the program would have to have a baseline for comparison and listen to the callers for a bit, recording their voices and tracking the various properties. Once it has a baseline comparison, any fluctuations to that baseline, depending on their intensity, could be interpreted as an emotional response.

If they've studied the human voice enough to establish that there are identical fluctuations in certain emotions that are standard to all people, then the claim of emotion recognition could be very true.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

according to the article, they do have it working some-what.

I dont think you can shove it aside just yet.

Anyone else see the possible evils that can be done with this tech?

[edit on 5/6/2010 by ugie1028]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I'm calm and cool... I couldn't possibly think of anything evil that could come of this. Everything is just fine. No worries. Big Brother loves me.

S,F and bump...

We should well consider the ramifications of this.

many more links on this subject here:

people.ict.usc.edu...

Sri Oracle

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Originally posted by ugie1028

I can see medical advances in this tech in helping doctors diagnose their patients, but will it be used responsibly?

"Big brother uses all technology responsibly" This according the companies that will use it to encourage you to buy stuff you didn't need; and the politicians who'll provide research grants, so they can reap its "crime fighting" benefits.

But it comes to crime fighting technology, the traditional government response is usually...
"If you've got nothing to hide, then there's no point in hiding" and "if you have got something to hide, then there's still no point in hiding!"

See: Can never argue with Big Brother!!! But if you add Voice emotion Understanding, with Voice Recognition, and this with Face Recognition, License Plate tracking, surveillance monitoring software, ect then argument does begin to wear a little thin!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Is this the same company with the sarcasm detector?

new topics

top topics

join