It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HUGE!! CME just went off!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

I think I've posted elsewhere about physiological effects of geomagnetic storms. I think it's unlikely due to the very small magnitude of the effects of even a fairly strong storm. Even though there are a few studies which indicate some correlation it is important to remember that correlation does not necessarily imply causation. There seems to be somewhat contradictory results as to the effects and their relationship to the severity of the storm. There is also no established mechanism to account for the claim psychological or physical effects. That, of course, doesn't mean there can't be one.

I think it's unlikely that the geomagnetic storm on May 2nd caused the transformer to blow. It was a moderate storm, a G2. If you live pretty far north (Canada), maybe. I've been near an exploding transformer and the experience was rattling to say the least. I wouldn't be surprised if the "shock" (not literal) of it would keep you jumpy for quite a while.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by noomy

Flares and CMEs can be related, but not always.

The electromagnetic radiation of the flare can damage satellites (and people) outside of the atmosphere and it can also (as your research shows) cause increased ionization in the ionosphere which can also influence communications.

The geomagnetic storm and influx into the ionosphere of charged particles caused by a CME can also have these effects though for different causes.

An X class flare is an extremely strong flare (scaled, in increasing intensity A, B, C, M, X). We can detect them, including the xray component, with satellites. The xrays, like gamma rays are absorbed by the atmosphere and thus cannot readily be detected from the surface.

This might be a good time to point out that it is actually our atmosphere, rather than the magnetosphere, which protects us from electromagnetic radiation. The magnetosphere protects our atmosphere from the solar wind.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I want to direct your attention to my last post (back a page), had a few questions you might be able to answer for me...I'm just trying to better understand the things the sun does, and you seem to know what you're talking about. Maybe you could also clarify the difference between a "flare" and a "CME" and possibly teach me proper use of the terms?

Cheers.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

In this instance I would agree with what Phage is saying but, would add a bit more theory to the comment. Because the human brain works from the 6Hz to 8.5Hz range and the Resonant Cavity of the Earth works in the same frequency ranges; it could be possible if the Geomagnetic Storm created a vortexes within this cavity it could form a type of torsion field wave effect "Tesla" referred to as a "Magnetized Spin Wave" that could reach down and touch the Earth's surface; in this manner if the wave was at scalling wave levels it would directly effect brain function, motor skills, or if your blood had heavy iron particles even partial nerve paralysis; either way it would directly effect vision, and equilibrium. Scalling Wave studies have been shown to have hallucinogenic properties as well. Not sure this is what you experienced but, it is possible this or a variation on the theory could have caused the effects you have explained.

Repectfully

MolecularPHD

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

By the way Phage you may find "Spin Wave" Theory which has come a long way from Nickola to be quit interesting. There are lots of source materials I do not focus on anyone persons theories; but in the realm of Astrophysics I can see many points to its presence.

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I almost forgot I was not making the claim the the neutrinos were from our SUN; that is simply ridiculous; but in the form of a "Super Wave" not so ridiculous; the last "Super Wave" end on earth 5700 years ago; evidence of which is found in ice core samples from both poles through Barium-10 readings the readings show that it lasted for several hundred years; the one before that was 11,700 years and the one before that was 27,800 years; it is theorized that we are do for another one that could last up to several hundred years as well; just saying something to think about.

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by noomy

The term Solar flare is commonly used as being the same thing as a coronal mass ejection (CME) but it is not.

A Solar flare is defined as a brightening, an increase in intensity, of electromagnetic radiation in a localized area of the surface of the Sun.

A CME is a release of matter (mass), in the form of particles (electrons, protons, neutrons, etc.) from the corona.

The two are often, if not usually, associated with each other. But not always.
hesperia.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I need an emote for a little light bulb turning on above my head heh.

Thanks a heap Phage this clears up everything for me, i think the problem was i hadn't figured out the acronym "CME" yet, so now i understand. I've actually seen a documentary that touched on coronal mass ejection.

What about these "x-flares" ? I'm guessing they arnt CME's as the article i read was talking about the ejection of x-rays rather than coronal mass....let me find a link. Ahuh, it's the same article i sourced earlier...

2012: No Killer Solar Flare

The biggest problem with an X-ray flare is that we get little warning when it is going to happen as X-rays travel at the speed of light (one of the record breaking 2003 solar flares is pictured left).

Is this another name for something else? I get the impression i'm just getting myself confused again.

[EDIT]
I should have read the whole article in the first place, my bad. I now understand what x-flares are and the effects they can have on the planet (coincidentally these are what would cause interference in the ionosphere effecting most forms of communication, which i mentioned earlier)

Seems i have a problem doing proper research before posting comments.

[edit on 6/5/2010 by noomy]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

While your at it you might as well talk about corona holes too.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by noomy
reply to post by Phage

So to clarify, a (regular?) solar flare would mess with radio signals and communication systems and a CME could damage our power grid (as seen in the past when power lines literally bust into flames) possibly shutting it down all together.

Did i get that right?

I also read about X-Flares? Something about flares that are primarily comprised of x-rays, thus harder for us to monitor. Would they have an adverse effect on our atmosphere and / or the planets surface?

[edit on 6/5/2010 by noomy]

A flare charges the ionosphere enhancing some radio frequencies and hampering others. At solar maximum higher frequencies are favored, at solar minimum lower frequencies are favored.
The magnetic storm caused by CME can affect radio communications too.

If you were on an airliner during a big flare you would get an Xray dose equivalent to a chest Xray.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo

So since I have caught you guys all in one place (and please everyone else feel very free to comment) I want to throw out the idea that CME's can affect humans.

I dont have science to back my thoughts...but I believe I experienced a 'jolt' from the geomagnetic storm that hit on May the 2nd. I also believe that this storm is what knocked out a transformer right by my house pretty much in the moment right before I felt the jolt/pulse/shock (how to describe it, I am still unsure).

I was as if I did drugs against my will...it was as if my entire enrgy was zapped and the affect lasted strongly for 30 mins and then took a couple hours to taper off.

I have a thread about it because after searching some things online the following days, I noticed alot of people talking about the same symptoms. I then noticed a poster attributing the strangeness to the geomagnetic storm.

For me, the transformer blowing and the jolt I felt was a ironic coincidence...dont you think? I have never felt like this in my life. I kept feeling dizzy and like I was on the verge of a heart attack.

Care to share thoughts or facts or opinions...anything...on the matter?

It was as if a wave of energy hit me, and knocked me out of myself. My mind went nuts, my body couldnt keep up with my mind, Im not a paranoid person....but I did think I was going insane the entire time.

Just a fast reply, thought, fact, or opinion....pls?

LV

Around the time the transformer blew there was most likely a large electromagnetic field near you such fields have been know to cause the symptoms you describe, so not a direct affect of the CME.

Sensitivity to fields like this vary from person to person, I would have been much less affected.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Appreciate the responses...Ill get back to them soon. Interesting to see a few different answers or thoughts!

Thanks guys!!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MolecularPhD

Are you referencing Dr. Paul Viollette's PHD thesis and subsequent research and publications?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

Yes, I was at a scientific conference in Japan with Paul in 2000; spent many hours discussing his and many other scientists research into the "Super Wave" event. I have to say that they have a mountain of evidence to back up their findings; unpublished of course. Many of the effects of such an event he spoke of are currently happening in the order in which he spoke about them. I asked him about a time frame which he declined to answer. I am in the field of Molecular Physics; so as you can imagine I am very much interested in this data; not only the energies that the Sun produces but, also astral energies as well. I currently specialize in Hydrogen Research and Development; for use in advanced technologies.

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
does this mean in anyway that the sun is approaching its final stages of life????? quite mesmerizing i should say the least s&f

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ghr54321

i believe it would take about nine minutes. i could be wrong

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cobra.EXE
does this mean in anyway that the sun is approaching its final stages of life????? quite mesmerizing i should say the least s&f

Absolutely not.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
can someone tell me what this is please? Phage?
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

also this?

[edit on 8-5-2010 by jazz10]

[edit on 8-5-2010 by jazz10]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
and whats this at the left hand edge?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MolecularPhD

Molecular: thankyou from the bottom of my heart for your intriguing post which led me to Dr. LaViollette and answers to many questions. His is a fascinating path to discovery of the superwave. How fortunate that you were able to directly interact with him and others studying this phenomena. I would be interested in early warning signs that you might have gleaned from this discussion or even theory on early warning signs. Something that a person might be able to observe. For instance, the blue light that would manifest - how soon before the event would this be visible? Would this blue light precede the earthquake? Or...are the only precursors things like the heightened activity we see now? One other question that you may or may not know because it is not your field - could these events i.e. the ones in '98 and 2000 etc. have caused perturbed orbits or is that an impossibility creating a need to still look elsewhere for that answer? Again, my gratitude for your thoughtful post.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join