It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HUGE!! CME just went off!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Link to movie of complete CME:

spaceweather.com...

The eruption came from a spotless region near the sun's southwestern limb. Extreme ultraviolet images from SOHO pinpoint the blast site: movie. The billion-ton cloud is not heading directly for Earth, although it could deliver a glancing blow to pur planet's magneticc field on or about May 8th. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras this weekend.

spaceweather.com...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Just thought i would let you all know

Magnitude 5.3 - SOUTHEAST OF EASTER ISLAND
2010 May 05 09:38:23 UTC
Magnitude 6.2 - SOUTHERN PERU
2010 May 06 02:42:47 UTC
Magnitude 5.6 - BOUGAINVILLE REGION, PAPUA NEW GUINEA
2010 May 05 17:09:08 UTC
Magnitude 5.3 - WEST OF MACQUARIE ISLAND
2010 May 05 17:49:03 UTC

I know its off topic, but hey all southern hemisphere

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Speaking of magnetic storms (somebody mentioned it somewhere in this thread)

I have been doing a lot of D.I.Y around house lately(last few months) and everything seems to be getting magnitized. I'm not talking about tools. Anybody else notice this?

If not please just ignore this.

peace.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
So i guess we are save. At least for now. Go on with life folks.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
That is a big one. If this is that big, maybe there will be a quake, all though I am a skeptic of that theory.

my knowledge of CME's is limited at best...i know they source from the sun and if they make contact with earth they can take out electrical equipment and satelites.

but im not aware of any CME being able to cause an earth quake...im also sure they are fairly harmless to life on earth as most of the CME is absorbed by our atmosphere.

enlighten me if im wrong...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghr54321

That CME is as big as the sun itself!

I wonder what would happen if the exact same flare happened, but pointing in the direction of earth? How long before we would feel the effects here on earth (hypothetically speaking)?
Nice catch, OP!

well...as far as im aware...these CME's happen fairly regularly...infact they reach a peak every 11 years so they are not an uncommon occurrance.

if it reached earth i believe it would take out satelites and electrical equipment on earth for a short while....but our atmosphere absorbs these blasts and life on earth probly would remain unharmed...

as for how long....i dont know how fast these travel...but it takes light 8 minutes to reach earth from the sun...so assuming these travel around about light speed...id say about 8 minutes. dont worry nobody is going to get vaporized just yet

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Silicis n Volvo]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Going to get an extra crispy tan this weekend

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by HighDefinitionFilms

Not to change the subject (I think it is related actually)

But...

Does anyone have a theory, or explanation, as to the relationship
between the recent solar activity and the UFO's around the sun...
and how that confirms, or denies, the "John Lear Classic" theory
about the sun being ELECTRIC and not nuclear fusion based?

I know it is not his theory- I just heard about it from him.

Anyway- why is this theory so ridiculed? It would explain much.

Thoughts?

HDF

---v---

the thoery comes from James McCanney www.jmccanneyscience.com... He goes on about Planet X and a whole host of other psedo science.

I doubt that UFO's are using the sun to charge when there's a sea of energy call the zero point field that provides more than enough energy to those that can harness it.

I think they appear near the sun as a result of just being notices there more frequently because of the silhouette effect.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Magzoid]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

I don't know if this answers to your question a bit, but I feel it's related... We seem to get a huge increase in electro static shocks here from object since a couple of months... While nothing really changed here. My partner and I both wear rubber soled shoes, we haven't changed the carpet or anything and are not wearing fleece, yet a lot of things that are metal and we touch give us shocks.

I really don't know if this has anything to do with one and other, but it just popped into my mind reading your post.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Is a glancing blow so we are not going to get fried, more details at spaceweather.com

CINCO DE MAYO BLAST: With May 5th winding down, magnetic fields on the sun wound up and erupted, producing a bright coronal mass ejection (CME). The eruption came from a spotless region near the sun's southwestern limb. Extreme ultraviolet images from SOHO pinpoint the blast site. The billion-ton cloud is not heading directly for Earth, although it could deliver a glancing blow to our planet's magnetic field on or about May 8th. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras this weekend.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by rothmans]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silicis n Volvo

as for how long....i dont know how fast these travel...but it takes light 8 minutes to reach earth from the sun...so assuming these travel around about light speed...id say about 8 minutes. dont worry nobody is going to get vaporized just yet

They are slower than light, takes about 3 days to get here.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Anyone want to comment on Nassim's theories regarding the sun, ufo's & CME's that are discussed in the rouge valley lecture?

big CME's, big UFO's?

-B.M

[edit on 6/5/10 by B.Morrison]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrDragonfly
reply to post by JohnySeagull

I don't know if this answers to your question a bit, but I feel it's related... We seem to get a huge increase in electro static shocks here from object since a couple of months... While nothing really changed here. My partner and I both wear rubber soled shoes, we haven't changed the carpet or anything and are not wearing fleece, yet a lot of things that are metal and we touch give us shocks.

I really don't know if this has anything to do with one and other, but it just popped into my mind reading your post.

It has nothing to do with it at all. Static can built up easier in drier conditions, its probably less humid in you place right now. Also rubber soles dont make much difference to static electricity.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull

Speaking of magnetic storms (somebody mentioned it somewhere in this thread)

I have been doing a lot of D.I.Y around house lately(last few months) and everything seems to be getting magnetized. I'm not talking about tools. Anybody else notice this?

If not please just ignore this.

peace.

Magnetic storms cant magnetize anything, they cant even move a compass needle.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by rothmans
Is a glancing blow so we are not going to get fried, more details at spaceweather.com

Have you any idea how far south the aurorae will be visible? I know that some solar events have caused aurorae at my latitude.

I wish I could get to Shetland in time to see what appears. The aurora is quite often visible from there without any unusual levels of magnetospheric perturbation so the Shetlanders should be treated to quite a show.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

they're saying you need a full moon AND a major CME for an earthquake...

[edit on 6-5-2010 by reject]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karilla
Have you any idea how far south the aurorae will be visible? I know that some solar events have caused aurorae at my latitude.

I wish I could get to Shetland in time to see what appears. The aurora is quite often visible from there without any unusual levels of magnetospheric perturbation so the Shetlanders should be treated to quite a show.

All you have to do is look at this Pic at spaceweather.com every day and you can see if aurora is likely in your area.
Current Auroral Oval:
America

Europe

[edit on 6-5-2010 by rothmans]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Regarding CME being electrical:

This isn't really a John Lear theory although he may have picked up on it but to explore the science behind it, check this link:

www.thunderbolts.info...

It is a fascinating alternate theory of the Universe proposed by some electrical engineers that the Universe is actually 'electric' and that's as far as I'm capable of explaining it as it is too scientific but the proponents do a great job of breaking it down for lay people like me.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by LaMadameDuval

Im really starting to like this theory of the CME being electrical. I think we need to keep a open mind on that.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by rothmans

Thank you so much for explaining... It has indeed been a dry winter and start of spring.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join