It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HUGE!! CME just went off!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by elderbob

You are confusing flares with CMEs. They are not the same thing.

An flare is a burst of electromagnetic radiation. Flares are omnidirectional. If the source can be "seen" from Earth the radiation will strike Earth. It travels at the speed of light and arrives on Earth eight minutes after it is produced. It has virtually no effect on the surface, the atmosphere absorbs the harmful radiation it before it can reach us. Objects in space (satellites, astronauts) can be affected by powerful flares.

A CME is a burst of matter (charged particles) from the surface of the Sun. It is directional. It travels quickly but no where near the speed of light, usually taking 3 or 4 days to arrive (if it is aimed at Earth). The result of a CME hitting Earth is geomagnetic disturbance.

Flares can be associated with CMEs, but not always.

[edit on 5/5/2010 by Phage]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HighDefinitionFilms

they are studing it probally trying to prevent our death?

but seriously no its not directed towards earth, its going the other way, but seeing the activity of the sun i say about 3-8 years before we get one, but i am just guessing but am certain of it

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
here we go, we wanted to watch the earthquake activity following the CME

06-MAY-2010 02:42:44 -18.00 -70.49 6.4 11.0 NEAR COAST OF PERU

At first , a connection would look absurd. However is not the material in the coronal mass ejection I suspect to have effects on Earth but the very thing that causes the CME! Whatever causes the CME could send an EM wave , gravitational or something else we are not even able to detect? (like a very very small disturbance in the time-space continuum ?)

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

The CME occurred at about 22:00. The earthquake 5 hours later. Too late for an electromagnetic wave. Too soon for geomagnetic effects.

Some "unknown force"? CMEs happen and there are no earthquakes. Solar Flares happen and there are no earthquakes. Earthquakes happen when there are no CMEs and no Solar flares. How can you tell the difference? Just because they happen does not mean they are connected.

Sometimes you roll snakeyes, that doesn't mean one die is influencing the other.

[edit on 5/5/2010 by Phage]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Thanks for letting us know. If it's aimed towards earth, then we should be seeing more earthquakes within the next 7 days.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

when I will have the time I will try to study the idea . While of course earthquakes occur without any solar event happening, I noticed that a lot of times we see a major earthquake following a major solar event. I just want to see how often, then try to detect if there is any pattern that can be detected in the CME type. And sure, maybe it is just a kik in the tectonic plates , if the critical tensions does not exist it could go unnoticed.

Also in regards with the time between the events - there is no constant time flow, so i guess if the connection is true we talk about the time needed by the internal structure of the earth to cause a response in a form of a quake ..

anyways , i guess there are quite some people on it , i know about a paper with some findings but to be honest i did not have the time to go very deep into the data. Just some intuition so far.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Romanian]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Please excuse my ignorance, but what does CME actually stand for? How often does this happen?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

I saved this one early in the morning, around 1-2am. I have two others I wanted to share but they show too big and get cut in half.

EDIT: There in my ATS Photos' if you'd like to see them.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Oozii]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

CME type? Are there types of CMEs?

In any case the frequency of CMEs follows the Solar cycle. If there were a connection we should see more earthquakes during Solar Maximum and fewer during Solar minimum.

We don't.

(From this thread)

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by just_julie

Coronal (as in the Sun's corona) Mass Ejection.
They happen fairly frequently to varying degrees of intensity.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Hi..yup that looks pretty big. There seems to be nothing on spaceweather.com although it may be a C class flare. By the way, is there any correlation between solar flares, CMEs and erathquakes? A 6.4 earthquake just occured Tacna, Southern Peru.

Anyway, there have been larger flares recorded in the past by SOHO and there was one a few years ago which literally went off the scale (Class X17) which fortunately was not Earth directed.

Peace.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for the graph . What is on the Y scale ? What is the filter used to count the number of earthquakes? Thanks.

About the CME - I just wanted to say that it could be a different type of event triggering the CME . The effect could look the same - a CME , but it could be that there are different types of events triggering it. (or associated with the CME)

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Romanian]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   

All the information about the data is provided in the thread.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Random thought: Wouldnt it be terrible if the sun exploded! Can it happen?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

Yes.
And it will.

In about 4 or 5 billion years.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

OMG that is so incredible! Awesome! How long will that take to effect change on earth? HOLY MOLY!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Earthquakes in northern Chile and Southern Peru were reported on breaking news/Twitter...but I do not really believe that there is a relationship...but I could be wrong...maybe there is a direct correlation and some scientist somewhere has it all figured out...I am skeptical about the Mexico earthquake which was forecast for the middle of May but if it happens someone will believe a connection...I do not understand why someone would want to predict this kind of event anonymously. Makes it very dubious that it will happen...just another sales pitch for buying real estate in Mexico, maybe?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So I guess I better not make any plans then huh?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Its not coming at us. If it was, the sun would have a huge aurora around it. It doesn't, therefore it's not coming at us.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Sweet thread man I'm sure somebody who doesn't know anything about this will pick up on it right away with your description.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join