It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama proposes cutting border security in 2011 federal budget

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
GEorge bush all over again. yesterday in local newspaper, its archives, in 1985, President regane visited hte german tropps of WWII in thier cemetary. he got alot of scrutiny for it, and said something along the lines of,t hey were soldeirs also* imagine that, and american president feeling remorse for nazi sildiers*
i do wonder what our governemnt has been up too past 50 years indeed. obama must want the USA to be flooded with illegal aliens. otherwise, why would he do this? cut back national security and give money to the big bankers, the biggest thieves and national security threats of all

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Read this and you'll get a good idea what the overall plan is on government's agenda. www.abovetopsecret.com...
Everything foretold is taking shape today. It's called System 2000

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Seems to me like someone is getting 'spanked,' for 'overstepping their bounds,' so-to-speak. The fed is going to punish all border states for Arizona's 'transgression,' and make life more difficult for them in the long-run.

Chrono

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Its time to defend our borders we have taken the worlds poor long enough ,it use to be the cartoon with teh rich men not letting immigrants in .Now is should be of them lettings them in and the middle class hardworking American starving .CLOSE THE BORDERS and if people who display there old countries flag here are SO PROUD ,then please go back to your country that is so great you had to come here to make a living .

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

The claims in that blog article would, if true, be evidence of a total lack of political and common sense. Since nobody gets to be President without a heaping amount of political sense, the story just doesn't have the ring of authenticity.

And Lo! and behold!: The claim is bogus.

SOURCE...

In 2007, discretionary spending on border security was $6.3 billion. As (U.S. Rep. Mike) Pence (of Indiana) noted, that was the last year of full Republican control. After that, while George W. Bush remained in the presidency, Congress was controlled by Democrats. But discretionary spending on border security continued to rise year after year. It went to $7.9 billion in 2008; to $9.8 billion in 2009; and to $10.1 billion in fiscal year 2010. President Barack Obama's proposed 2011 budget calls for a slight decrease in discretionary spending on border security, but even at the proposed level of $9.8 billion, that's a 55 percent increase between 2007 and 2011.

...Spending under the budget heading "border security, fencing, infrastructure and technology" has gone down -- from $1.2 billion in 2007 to $800 million this fiscal year. Obama's proposed 2011 budget calls for trimming the fence budget again, to $574 million.

Funding for new border fencing surged in 2007 and 2008 after Republicans passed the Secure Fence Act of 2006, which called for the construction of hundreds of miles of new border fencing. Much of that fencing has been completed.

The other major piece of the fencing budget is the so-called "virtual border fence" championed by Bush. Earlier this year, the Department of Homeland Security announced it was freezing funding for the "virtual border fence" along the U.S. Mexican border. The virtual fence -- which includes cameras, radar and ground sensors to detect illegal border crossings -- has been plagued by cost overruns, missed deadlines and technical bugs, such as the radar motion detector being unable to distinguish between humans and animals crossing the border. The program had gotten several dreadful reviews from the Government Accountability Office.

...The 2011 proposed budget, for example, includes $94 million to expand the number of Customs and Border Patrol officers -- putting the country on target to reach Bush's goal of 20,000 officers. Between 2007 and 2011, the Border Patrol budget increased from $2.3 billion to $3.6 billion. The budget for inspections at ports of entry increased from $1.8 billion in 2007 to $2.9 billion in 2011. In addition, Obama's proposed 2011 budget calls for $1.6 billion for customs enforcement programs to identify and remove illegal aliens who commit crimes; and $137 million to expand immigration-related verification programs.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So yes, there is less money for the physical fence because it is almost complete and the virtual fence, which wasn't working, could not be made to work, and was a complete waste of money, was scrapped. That is hardly a justification for a soft on border security charge.

And funding for more Border Patrol Officers and more validation and deportation of criminals doesn't equate to moving services to non-border cities like Honolulu.

If you object to the Administration's policies, by all means express your problem with those policies. But please do some rudimentary fact checking before you repeat rumors with no basis in reality.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

So much for securing the border! Count another campaign promise broken.

Exactly! I recall that "additional fencing" with the sensors being one of the many "improvements" he was talking about early on while we worked feverishly trying to convince us he was "righting all the wrongs" done by Bush.

It's another layer of the Obama onion revealed. I expect someday soon he'll pull down a great zipper that starts at the top of his head, at which point he'll shed his Obama suit and out will pop ol' George again. . .

And at that point, I will probably feel like taking a long walk off a short pier.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Clearly, many of the liberals here want to believe that the public- and esp other liberals are "on their side". For those who might be more concerned about what they are really up against, here is the link to a Mother Jones' article that some would find telling.

motherjones.com...

The article is meant to be about how trying immigration reform will pit the republicans against the tea parties. If you keep reading the comments down the page, about halfway down, the commenters really begin to cut loose- with frank, logical & not dissimilar arguments to the ones seen here. I don't think I saw more than 1 or 2 comments that could have come from an "outside" voice.
Disregard it at your electoral peril. Amnesty & open borders are not acceptable no matter who you talk to.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
www.woai.com...

Houston Chronicle story from Associated Press about an 18 yr old Houston girl found beaten to death in Mexico. She had worked as a stripper and was in Mexico because she wanted to smuggle immigrants. Two men were also found dead with her, also beaten. Police think that the car crash where they were found was staged to cover up the beatings.

www.woai.com...

regarding in state tuition rates for illegal immigrants at Texas A&M University. There is a poll on the page asking if illegal immigrants should be eligible for in state tuition rates.
8.2% in favor 92.8% oppose
2008 Population breakdown for San Antonio
10.8% Non Hispanic Whites
30.9% Black
22.3% Hispanic or Latino
20.1% Other races
11.8% Bi racial

Source: www.city-data.com...

[edit on 6-5-2010 by DogsDogsDogs]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
you know OP, i'm saddened. there's a guy on my facebook friends list whom i went to highschool with, thought he was a pretty smart guy. now....he's calling everyone in arizona racists, comparing them to the nazis. it's like the minute he heard the word immigrant his brain shut down, and suddenly america has no rights, it's all about the poor immigrants.

i live in wisconsin, a pretty liberal state. i used to consider myself a liberal, till i realized that there really was no difference between the two majority parties. then i figured i was more of an independent with a mix of liberal and conservative ideals.

my ancestors came here legally, the others were already here(blackfoot). i don't think it's racist to expect anyone whether they be of any color in the rainbow to come here legally as well.

and this proposed cut in border security does nothing to help the situation. it just seems to be one thing after another with our government, the presidents may change but their policies are all the same. when are we going to have had enough? how many times are we going to vote another one of the senators or congressmen/women into the big chair only to find out, wow they really weren't any different than the last guy?

i don't know the answers to those questions, unfortunately.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Of course the border "security" budget will be cut.. those wacky string pullers only allow "spare no expense" spending to protect what obama calls "Americas interests"... a euphemism for the oligarch interests.

The oligarchs will blow trillions of dollars, kill & displace millions of people, air-lift massive amounts of resources to the Iraq and Afghanistan and places such as.. all to protect "Americas interests". Iran is a nuclear butthole that threatens "Americas interests" in the region. The democracy at gunpoint occupations are vital to protect "Americas interests"..

Curbing the oligarchs slave labor supply? NOT in Americas interests.
Keeping out scape-goat "them" people useful for fomenting a nazi "lets hate someone at all times" mind-set along with tax slave Vs labor slave strife?, nope.. NOT in Americas interests. Putting forth an honest real local effort to cripple "the war on drugs" that is used to erode our rights, fund black-ops, and deploy military assets around the globe.. once again, not in Americas interests.

Illegals, the war on drugs, and the divide & conquer necessity for an omnipresent "them" are valuable assets "the man" worked hard for.. these are worth a whole lot more money than whatever silly opinions the plebes conjure up. Learn it, love it, live it.. this is your life, these are your representatives.. here is the change you were suckered into. America: greatest show on Earth.

Interested in really solving Illegal immigration?, offer the oligarchs more $$ than they make from their various scams, AND promise to follow the instructions of the bobble-head on TV to hate the "them" de jure.

The last thing the man wants is for the tax slaves & labor slaves to unite and focus on the real enemy: the 2 party establishment. Illegal aliens didn't lie the nation into bankruptcy with 2 wars.. It wasn't a border brother who wrote the patriot act, radical Muslims on a jihad to kill you specifically aren't pissed off at something Illegal aliens did.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

Of course the border "security" budget will be cut..

Except that it isn't. It is being raised.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca

Originally posted by Snarf
you just described every president we've ever had.

Whats the difference?

The last I checked, the last president didn't have terrorists walking around with bombs in major cities after 9/11.

You're right...they just flew airplanes into buildings and put anthrax in our mail.

So, what does your moronic masses handbook tell you about that one?

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Snarf]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca

you just described every president we've ever had.

Whats the difference?

The last I checked, the last president didn't have terrorists walking around with bombs in major cities after 9/11.

You're right...they just flew airplanes into buildings and put anthrax in our mail.

So, what does your moronic masses handbook tell you about that one?

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Snarf]

To deal with your deflection attempt:

Actually, HISTORY BOOKS tell us that the 9/11 attacks were planned during the Clinton administration by a man (osama) that Clinton took a pass on apprehending perhaps because he was more interested in what was going on under his desk in the oval office than what was on top of it.

How about speaking on the obama issue raised by the OP instead of using mindless deflections in an attempt to defend obama?

The fact is that obama stated during the campaign and more recently during the AZ law issue that stronger border security BY THE FEDS was necessary, but now the budget shows obama's true plans.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Why not? The only votes he's getting in 2012 is from Mexico.

Vote early and often people!!!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
reply to post by president

So then you don't lock your doors or windows ever right? Everyone who wants to is allowed to come in your home, use what they want, and hang around as long as they want without being required to ask if they can come in or contribute to the upkeep of your home, right? And by everyone, I mean everyone not just people you know and who have your permission to come in whenever they please.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Jenna]

no, I trust my neighbors.

I don't like the Idea of these cops harassing every person that is simply working for a better life.

if the cops kicked in your neighbors door in hopes of finding McVae, or Capone, or worse yet, someone who failed their asvab, would you really be o.k. with that?

as far as "Protecting our borders" America is not private property. Is it?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join