It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama proposes cutting border security in 2011 federal budget

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The 2010-11 Budget: California's Fiscal Outlook
Over $20 Billion of Budget Problems Need to Be Addressed in Coming Months
Our forecast of California’s General Fund revenues and expenditures shows that the state must address a General Fund budget problem of $20.7 billion between now and the time the Legislature enacts a 2010–11 state budget plan. The budget problem consists of a $6.3 billion projected deficit for 2009–10 and a $14.4 billion gap between projected revenues and spending in 2010–11. Addressing this large shortfall will require painful choices—on top of the difficult choices the Legislature made earlier this year.
www.lao.ca.gov...
Nowhere in this report do they address illegal immigration.

2010: Arizona, the Legislature, and the $3.2 Billion Deficit
In response to a question, Sinema acknowledged that the State Pension Retiree Fund is solvent and that the much-maligned Photo Radar program provided $32 million for state coffers last year. She further disclosed that the Unemployment Insurance Fund is insolvent and borrows money from the Federal government to meet its obligations while the number one corporation with Arizonans on ACCESS remains Wal-Mart.
sedonatimes.com...

New Mexico faces potential budget issues for FY2011.[1] In March 2010, Gov. Richardson vetoed a proposed tax on food, but signed other tax increases that will provide about $170 million next year to help balance the budget.[2] The Legislative Finance Committee said in early April 2010, state revenues were $76 below projected levels. If revenues are insufficient at the end of the fiscal year, the difference to balance the budget comes from the state's cash reserves.[1] Gov. Bill Richardson and legislators are relying on that money to avoid more spending cuts in the upcoming 2011 fiscal year.[1] Gov. Richardson said then that he thought the taxes would be sufficient to balance the budget, and he also planned on $20 million of federal funds stimulus funds to shore up the budget.[1] Lawmakers have criticized the Governor's reliance on one-time sources.[1]
sunshinereview.org...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Illegal imigration is an oxymoron.
In my opinion, if you want to come to America, come on.

the problem that you have is the drug smugglers.
My opinion on that is if the damn drugs weren't so damned illegal the cartells would not have to be so sneaky and dangerous.

my advice is (and not trying to be rude here) get over yourself.
Why do you really not like the illegal imigrants.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by president

My opinion on that is if the damn drugs weren't so damned illegal the cartells would not have to be so sneaky and dangerous.

You realize that by definition illegal immigrants are breaking our laws by coming here, yes? It's not just the drug dealers who are breaking the law, and frankly there is nothing wrong with expecting people who want to come to our country to start off on the right foot by doing so legally.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Okay to be fair lets look at some facts... maybe Obama is justified in cutting the agents... maybe things aren't that bad...

These facts are reported in the recently released National Drug Threat Assessment for 2010, published by the National Drug Intelligence Center, a division of the U.S. Justice Department.

Assaults on Border Patrol agents have massively escalated in recent years, according to the Justice Department threat assessment, which was released on March 25. “Assaults against U.S. Border Patrol (USBP) agents increased 46 percent from 752 incidents in FY2006 to 1,097 incidents in FY 2008,” says the assessment. Given that there are 365 days in the year, 1,097 assaults equals 3 per day.

Okay well maybe its just agents who have a problem

in recent years, kidnappings in Phoenix have numbered in the hundreds, with 260 in 2007, 299 in 2008, and 267 in 2009.”

The 267 kidnappings in Phoenix in 2009 equals one kidnapping every 1.37 days—or one every 35 hours.

Okay so maybe he reasoning is that the drug problem isn't as bad as thought?

“Mexican DTOs increased the flow of several drugs (heroin, methamphetamine, and marijuana) into the United States, primarily because they increased production of those drugs in Mexico,” said the assessment.

“In 2009, midlevel and retail drug distribution in the United States was dominated by more than 900,000 criminally active gang members representing approximately 20,000 street gangs in more than 2,500 cities.”

“Mexican DTOs were the only DTOs operating in every region of the country,” said the threat assessment

“Nineteen percent of youth aged 12 to 17 report past year illicit drug use,” the report says. That is approximately one out of every five teenagers in the United States.

Well in that case.... WTF are you thinking Obama???

[edit on 5-5-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Of course not. But I can assure you when this administration [read: The Federal Government] is forced to actually fix the illegal immigrant problem they will be able to.

There is a difference between amnesty and fast-tracking citizenship. Either Biden or Pelosi made a comment regarding opening up the possibility of fast-tracking citizenship for illegals that are contributing to society and have "built a life here". I have to find the quote. Anybody else remember this?

Which, as far as I am concerned, is the same as letting a drug dealer you catch keep his multi-million dollar house.

Both are criminals. Both of their money came from breaking the law.

Therefore, in my opinion, neither should be able to keep their assets, nor should they be rewarded with citizenship for successfully breaking federal laws.

If you want to end the enormous flow of illegal immigrants, catch them, seize their assets, deport them, and ban them from returning to the U.S. for life.

I guarantee going forward more immigrants will follow the rules regarding legally residing in this country and follow the proper avenues to attaining citizenship, if they want citizenship.

We no longer have the luxury of passively enforcing these laws. In the South, we are at a crisis point whether the Federal Government says so or not. Ask any of our members here living in that region. Even those that support the rights of illegals will tell you the problem has ballooned. We don't disagree on the problem, we only disagree on the solution.

Edit to add Source:
This is part of it, although not the original quote I was referring to:

While acknowledging that the recession makes the political battle more difficult, President Obama has pledged to create a path to citizenship for the estimated 12 million illegal aliens — the majority of whom are from Mexico — currently residing in the country.

Obama’s hapless Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano, has even bizarrely claimed that illegal immigration is “not a crime” and that the “real evildoers” are “employers who ... hire illegal labor.”

Source: www.timesnews.net...

[edit on 5-5-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Why would we protect our borders, when we have everyone else's borders to protect. One positive about the situation, when our country falls apart there will be no one at the border to stop the masses from exiting. If I lived down there it would be a case of shoot first ask questions later, good luck border states. You've got my support.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
One positive about the situation, when our country falls apart there will be no one at the border to stop the masses from exiting.

You get a star for that comment!
It's really funny and I never thought about it that way.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

Originally posted by president

You realize that by definition illegal immigrants are breaking our laws by coming here, yes? It's not just the drug dealers who are breaking the law, and frankly there is nothing wrong with expecting people who want to come to our country to start off on the right foot by doing so legally.

I never said they were not breaking the law. I simply implied that the law is wrong.

I think people should be allowed to come to america the same way most people in this country got here.
Jump in the boat and come on over.
Putting any sort of restriction or requirement on a person for the simple act of living in america is unamerican.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by president]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by president

So then you don't lock your doors or windows ever right? Everyone who wants to is allowed to come in your home, use what they want, and hang around as long as they want without being required to ask if they can come in or contribute to the upkeep of your home, right? And by everyone, I mean everyone not just people you know and who have your permission to come in whenever they please.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Jenna]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
reply to post by president

So then you don't lock your doors or windows ever right? Everyone who wants to is allowed to come in your home, use what they want, and hang around as long as they want without being required to ask if they can come in or contribute to the upkeep of your home, right? And by everyone, I mean everyone not just people you know and who have your permission to come in whenever they please.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Jenna]

That's a great response.

Because I'm sure there are people living near "president" that think the laws keeping them from taking all his valuable stuff are just as wrong.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by prionace glauca

Originally posted by Snarf
you just described every president we've ever had.

Whats the difference?

The last I checked, the last president didn't have terrorists walking around with bombs in major cities after 9/11.

This is an excellent point that the left always and purposefully overlooks.

And what's really sad about the latest incident is that the obama administration and their sycophants are crowing about how they captured this terrorist and no lives were lost, when the reality is that they didn't see him coming and only poor bomb making skills prevented a possibly huge loss of life.

Hope you don't mind if I add to this. We're forgetting who noticed something was wrong. Not the Police, CIA, FBI, Homeland Security, ect the only one to notice was an alert Street Vendor. Same goes for the underware bomber, it wasn't a Federal Air Marshal it was the Passengers that prevented an air disastor.
So obama's planning on cutting border security in 2011? So, what's the point in having a border then? Might just as well make mexico the 51'st state or accoring to obama's numbers our 58th state.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
As much as I don't see the source of solving the issue of illegal immigration through spending millions on the border, this is dissappointing from the Obama administration. We spend what? nearly $600 billion dollars on defense spending a year and yet we cannot continue to folk out a tiny fraction of that money on our borders?? Anyway heres an article from ABC highlighting where the cuts may be:

The Border Patrol, which doubled to 20,000 agents during the Bush administration, would lose 180 agents through attrition. Border staffing would stay the same.

•A "virtual" fence of pole cameras and sensors aimed at stopping illegal immigrants, drug smugglers and terrorists on the U.S.-Mexican border, faces a $225 million cut from $800 million last year. That would delay implementation while a review of the fence, plagued by technical problems, is done.

•Five of the Coast Guard's 13 elite Maritime Security and Safety Teams (MSST), created since 2001 to protect waterfront cities, would be eliminated. Obama is proposing cuts in New York City, San Francisco, Anchorage and King's Bay, Ga.

•The existing 643 miles of concrete-and-steel border fence would be maintained but no new barriers would be built.

In the wake of the failed attempt to blow up an airplane bound for Detroit on Dec. 25, Obama's budget for next year calls for $371 million for 500 more body scanners, 275 more canine teams and an unspecified number of new air marshals

Obviously the major cuts would be taking out 180 agents and limiting further the budget for the virtual fence.

As much as I find it frustrating that this administration is cutting back on such a strong issue to many americans I find it equally frustrating as to ignorant people are in thinking that by throwing money at the border and by curbing constitutional rights, that somehow this issue will be solved.

The core issue at hand here are those employers who continue hiring illegals know full well that they are doing damage to the country. Employers know how much influence they have on illegal immigrants and can dictate wages far more than any legal resident or citizen. This is the core issue to the problem here and this is why the illegals continue cross the border. But do you see the Democrats or the Republicans (in particular AZ politicians) focusing on this issue? Ofcourse not, because the employment of illegals has benefitted the wealthy and political establishment. There have been bills passed in particular on the issue of the employers but not enough has been done to effectively regulate and inspect businesses that are likely to do this. Not enough has been done to enforce and scare employers out of hiring. So long as they keep on hiring the issue will not go away.

Obviously they don't really give a damn about solving the issue and they have citizens dumb enough to believe the issue is solely with the borders. they know that people are ignorant enough to believe that the issue will be solved by asking everybody for papers who look out place. It won't, and meanwhile these ineffective bills are being passed those who benefit from illegal immigration up top and in DC know full well they will still benefit from it. People are not focused on the core issue at hand here and no matter how much money you throw at the borders, or how much power you give police officers, the issue will not go away. Its just a distraction to make it seem so.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

they have been pulling agents off the Mexican border for some time now...
from back in Sept.

Easterling said on Tuesday that in fiscal 2009, 17,399 Border Patrol agents have been deployed on the U.S.-Mexico border. In fiscal year 2010, the Border Patrol plans to decrease that by 384 agents, leaving 17,015 deployed along the Mexican frontier. At the same time, the number of Border Patrol agents deployed on the U.S.-Canada border will be increased by 414, from a fiscal 2009 total of 1,798 agents to a fiscal 2010 total of 2,212.

Story
there have been two more cuts since then...
I've seen them close down two check stations here in NM...Now we'll lose almost 200 more.... Obama is more worried about the open Canadian border...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Wow seems like every day obama backs down on another promise. See you at the polls Obama.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Wow seems like every day obama backs down on another promise. See you at the polls Obama.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Obama must be on crack or something with the rest of congress who goes along with such a proposal. Now, since they are in a position of responsibility, I think that WE as their employers should make them submit to random drug testing, just like almost every other job in this country requires.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracydude

I think history is showing that you are being way too kind to obama.

What obama has been doing since the presidnetial campaign is lying to the people of this country.

Remember all the "Bush lied" statements people made and still make here? Seems like obama could teach old Bush a thing or two on that subject.

Bush "lied" about iraqi WMD's, while obama seems to be lying on just about every issue.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Good read thanks................Man you Americans have got to be getting angry now dam.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

This right here!
What are you talking about?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well if it's profiling to actually deal with the illegal immigration problem so be it! Hmm why beat around the bush? Ever since they started that sanctuary city B.S., local governments stepped on the feds toes on enforcement. But hey that's okay lets let anyone in to our country!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join