It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Principal Shaves Students Eyebrow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
After warning all students that shaving slits into there eyebrows was not allowed on school property because of a possible gang affiliation, a student came to school with fresh slits. The principal then took matters into her own hands and shaved off the childs eyebrow.

Birmingham, AL (WIAT) Inglenook K-8 principal, Donna Mitchell shaves a student's eyebrow, after warning everyone not to cut slits on their eyebrows. This gesture is believed to be a sign of gang affiliation. Michaelle Chapman, with Birmingham City Schools say, after the warning was issued, a middle school student came to class with "freshly cut slits". That's when Mitchell took things into her own hands, by shaving the student's eyebrow enough to get rid of the design. After realizing what happened, Chapman says, Mitchell immediately talked to her supervisor, who had her call the parent and explain what happened. The mother of the student in question, we're told, was not upset. Mitchell was suspended without pay for five days. For parents reactions, click the video on the right.

Now what get's me is that the article states that after the principal realized what she did she immeditaly contacted her supervisor and the child mother. My question is how did she not realized what she was doing as it was happening? Did she see the slits on the childs eyebrow and temporally loose her mind and not know what she was doing
I seriously doubt that.

What are your thoughts on this?

www.cbs42.com...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Haha.

The parents were not upset.

The PARENTS were not upset.

Looks like they think there little bundle of joy got what was coming to him.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Wondering302

You never really clarified whether or not you support what the principle did, however I'm gonna guess that you disagree.

I'm 22 year's old, I drink non-stop, I do crazy thing's, and even I being an outrageously massive liberal feel that she shouldn't have gotten suspended, I mean the parent's said it was fine, it's not like she put the razor to the kid's throat or something... people in this country need to chill out and realize that sometime's you can punish a kid without being any of the following: A rapist, a child molester, a pedophile, an abusive parent/guardian, an interloper, a sex offender, a future politician... well okay but my point is that this kid had fair warning, and if they were fresh obviously he ignored it, and well he was on school property, I know that we got in trouble for aaaaaall kinds of ridiculous stuff... this really just aint that bad

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Awolscout

I agree with you about punishing a kid, but it must be YOUR kid that you are doing it to. I think she should have her eyebrows shaved in front of the school on her first day back.

NEVER FORGET

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The parents should be upset, because that is outrageous behavior on the part of the principal. She was worried about gang affiliation - okay, stop right there. What possible avenues of action are available? 1) Contact the parents. 2) Contact the police. 3) Hire security guards at the school. 4) Increase surveillance on school grounds. 5) Implement new school policy regarding proper attire. 6) Shave off kid's eyebrows?

So, even if this kid WAS in a gang, now because of her action, he's not anymore? Is the alleged gang affected in ANY way if they have to change their signature? She may as well have just given him a slap on the face. Maybe deserved but that's the parents' job, not the place for a teacher. This isn't 1950s Berkshire. What on EARTH was she thinking?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Sorry for not clarifying my position on this, I'm at work and some work fell into my lap so I just posted as is. Anyway, my opinion is NO I do not think the principal should have been suspended. The parents were ok with it and the students have been fairly warned. I just questioned the statement in the article saying "when she realized what she had done". She had to have known she was shaving a students eyebrow. Just struck me as odd.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by pedroroach

I agree with you about punishing a kid, but it must be YOUR kid that you are doing it to. I think she should have her eyebrows shaved in front of the school on her first day back.

NEVER FORGET

Whatever happened to community values? When I have a kid someday if he step's out of line, I'm gonna want someone to say something to him... I mean I don't want him to think that just because no one can see him that make's it right, so then why can only you punish your kid? This isn't a spanking were talking about, even though back when it was acceptable to spank your neighbor's kid we put a man on the moon... but I'm just sayin'

Also eye for an eye doesn't work...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I believe instead of 'she realized what she had done' probably should have been 'she realized there was going to be trouble' and figured she better make the first move.

IMO the kid basically came to school with **** you written on his forehead. She removed it and most everyone feels it was a good thing to do. I'm not sure she was the best person to do that but wth, nobody got hurt and it got peoples attention.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
OMG....Call the ACLU.....sue sue sue.. The child is damaged for life.
They will need psychological concealing for the rest of their life..

/sarcasm

Why not just suspend the student ?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by zzombie

That's what I would have done but, who knows? I knew a lot of guys that kind of liked being suspended. There might not have been anyone home during the day at his place and he would have just been running the streets?

I get the feeling that the principal did an all around good job on that one. She should get a pat on the back.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

The principal should not have shaven that child's eyebrows.
No matter how tempted we are,we can not discipline other
peoples' children!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The news article should read "Principal Arrested for Assault after She Shaves Students Eyebrow". Suspended without pay for 5 days? A slap on the wrist.

It doesn't matter what the kid did - the principal broke the law by doing this. Why is it she is only getting administrative punishment through her job instead of a court trial like she deserves.

Where does the line get drawn? What if a teacher shaved a kids head because she didn't like hair longer then hers? Or the color? What principal shaved a kids legs because they were wearing a skirt?

There is a reason we have laws in place - and this principal should be subject to them as any one else. It has nothing to do with the rational for the student cutting slits into his eyebrows.

I think I am more shocked by the apathy shown by the parents over this. They actually seem to be encouraging the system to raise their kids for them.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Had the principal reported to me, I'd have suspended her. Whether the parents were ok with it or not, that was a bullet dodged. You don't unilaterally make a call to shave somebody's eyebrow off.

Another (better?) way to handle it would've been to contact the parents and give them the option - kid gets in school suspension until it grows back, or shaves it off.

Of course, then the next gang thing is one shaved eyebrow. You can't stay ahead of the people determined to be disruptive. It's an unending game of whack-a-dope.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
WOW! Lots of opinions on this. I can see valid points for both sides of this arguement. Didn't expect this to get this much attention. I like the idea of in-school suspension myself, the child still misses out on classwork that can not be made up, but they are in school. I'm still of the mind tho, that the schools should be able to discipline the students. This probably went to far but kids need discipline in school, especially if the parents won't at home.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

The lil gangsta bad A$$ should've gotten flogged instead...whap WHAP WHAP... CORPORAL PUNISHMENT. MY Son would get a lot worse if he was ever even suspected of joining these gang scum groups!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Because of a "possible" gang affiliation? Why do they assume that? because a certain clicky group hangs out together?

All it looks like to me is the new "fad" ...like "piercings." Remember when that was the fad?

If it is the new fad, I think it looks pretty cool.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Wth? What's the difference between slits and let's say specific kind of hair style? Or clothing for that matter? God forbid you come to school with braids and something not ok by the school admin do they shave you bald and send you to class naked?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
So the school practises unity by social conformism, yet become friends with any other people more than 2 and you'r in a "gang." A bit of a hypocrisy towards the definition of social congregating don't you think.

So a group of pensioners, people at a funeral, those at a Pub, just a group of friends, are all "gang members" now?

This Principal need's to go to Africa or some of the 3rd world countries to justify her actions, she'll soon see what "gangs" consist of.

new topics

top topics

join