It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we shouldn't fear Aliens.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Why should we fear contact. Other citizens of the universe have to be billions of years more advanced than us. Our solar system is estimated to be 4 billion years old. Compared to the rest of space that is like taking in a breath. For instance imagine our planet but lets say a million years into the future. Could you imagine what kind of technology we would have? Now imagine peoples of other planets(the term alien is associated to much with negativity and if you visited another planet I am sure you would rather be called a person). There systems might be up to 8 to even 100 billion years old. Now imagine the technology they could posses since technology is progression. With that kind of tech it would be just as impossible to imagine their possibilities. But it is not impossible to consider with this much time they have already mastered space travel, and driving to the grocery store for us could be the equivalent of other people of a different planet visiting another solar system.
So if they have that much more time to advance then they probably are already aware of our existence. And if they are aware of us they have not done anything yet to provoke us to fear them. So then ask yourself what if they aren't aware of our presence? If they aren't aware of our presence then you could argue their technology has not reached the level to where they could travel to us, yet alone find us. If that is so, the chances of other humanoids finding us without prior knowledge of our existence is much, much, much greater than finding a "cell" in a haystack.
I am surprised that an astrophysicist like Hawking would say something like this. If a advanced culture was going to visit us then wouldn't it be our fear that would prevent them from visiting us. I am sure that if you knew an aggressive pit bull that would bite anyone that messed with it, but for some odd reason it exhibited fear towards you, you would be hesitant to tell him he is a good boy and pat him. I think this fear of people from other planets is only projected from the mainstream media and Hollywood. If you look at how many movies have been made depicting them as "aliens" that come down and do sinister things to human beings and then compared that to the the number of movies that show people of another planet in a positive outlook you would be surprised how much more negative outlook is generated to others that we have never met or done anything wrong.
There are however stories from credible witnesses about being abducted. Over 90% of these abductions is said to involve the species of humanoid we call the Greys. The worst that has been done to us is we have been scientifically studied and then returned. I believe that they are just as curious of us, as we are to them.
In the end the best way to determine if we should fear people from other planets is by the actions they have made against and towards us. If you believe that you should fear a medical examination, crop circles with elaborate messages meant to guide us and a race of people that has never done anything to harm us, but to observe then that is your choice.

P.S. Though it has been mentioned on ATS many times, please check this video out. It is absolutely, 100% the best video I have seen that shows what people of different planets are capable of and what message they mean to give us.

This First is short and sweet- www.youtube.com...
The second is similar to the first but, in detail- www.youtube.com...

[edit on 5-5-2010 by citizenoftheuniverse]

[edit on 5-5-2010 by citizenoftheuniverse]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Before posting any more naivety such as this, please read this book.

I trust the opinions of scientists far more than hopeful people that grew up watching Star Trek.

Yes, the aliens might be a far older civilization than we are. Perhaps old enough to have destroyed the resources on their home planet to the point where they've become the predatory races such as are portrayed in the movie Signs, or the TV series V.

How can you know their agenda until they show up? Far to late to say "oops!" after their arrival because their far older technology would overwhelm us quickly.

There's also earth's own history to consider. When a more advanced culture or civilization encountered a less advanced civilization, the less advance one always ended up being destroyed and absorbed. Even when the advance people meant well, the primitive culture couldn't withstand the diseases and changes to their way of life. So, why should we expect the results of an advanced alien civilization showing up to be any different?

Is your hope based on a hope that they might be so "enlightened" and here to "save" us from ourselves? Consider that if they are so "enlightened" they probably know well the results of advanced vs. primitive contact as I've said above, and would just leave us alone.

Also consider that interstellar travel has to be hugely resource intensive. So, far more likely that an alien culture would come here with a purpose that benefited THEM with little if any regard for us.

Life - for it's billion years of existence here on earth - has been brutal, with survival going to the fittest. Why would life anywhere else play by different rules when the rest of science doesn't?

I hope people start paying more attention to Hawking and others like him.

[edit on 5/5/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Before posting any more naivety such as this, please read this book.

I trust the opinions of scientists far more than hopeful people that grew up watching Star Trek.

[edit on 5/5/2010 by centurion1211]

I agree.

And if it''s "Trekkie's thinking" then they should remember the "Prime Directive". No interference with "pre-warp" civilizations on other planets.

Although I think Captain Kirk messed with them plenty. Unlike Captain Picard on Star Trek the Next Generation!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

You base your point on how we, humans have behaved for our existence. I and you couldn't possibly hope to understand a species of humanoid that is far more developed than we are. How do you know they would think like us? What makes you think that Hawkings ideas are correct, he can only theorize using human thought, which at this day and time is nothing compared to the thought of a space traveling humanoid. If we can't speak directly to different humanoids then we can only attempt to understand there actions. If you pay close attention to this subject you would understand that there is evidence we have been visited for thousands of years and we are still here. I think your a little caught up in the whole fantasy of human ideas and you cant understand that a being of that magnitude would have to think in a way that is beyond human comprehension.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

And I never watched star trek and any other science fiction show that would influence my ideas to wish for benevolent beings to solve all our problems. I base this on my interpretations of evidence of past visitations.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Just because they may be more 'advanced' than we are doesnt mean they wont suck our brains out, or destroy our world for their selfish needs, or even for the sheer pleasure of it. We're 'supposedly' more evolved or advanced than the other species that inhabit our Earth. That doesnt stop Us from effing them up. One never assumes strangers are safe before u get to know them. I'd def not trust something from another planet. I think they could very well be evil. Doesnt seem too friendly to kidnap ppl and torture them. U go 1st and then I'll decide from there...lol

Peace. K*

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Though it has been mentioned on ATS many times, please check this video out

No need to for duplicate postings. You can add your thoughts to the threads that already exist, mentioning these videos.

As far as this topic, please add your thoughts to the existing thread:Debate: Should We Fear or Welcome Alien Contact?

Thank you. Thread closed.

[edit on May 5th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

join