It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq to bring back death penalty

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Justice Minister Malik Dohan al-Hassan today said: "The death penalty is suspended in Iraq, but with the return of sovereignty, nothing obliges us to maintain this suspension.

The US adviser to the Iraqi justice ministry forwarded a request from the coalition for the death penalty to be abolished, but Mr Hassan said he rejected it.

news.com.au...

Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Death penalty suspended, yeah right.

They under military occupation and the death penality is from a AK-47 by means of street justice. Akmed don't use no courtroom.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   

The US adviser to the Iraqi justice ministry forwarded a request from the coalition for the death penalty to be abolished, but Mr Hassan said he rejected it.

Thats the problem with hypocrisy - It comes back and bites you on the arse. For the US to tell Iraq to abolish the death penalty while keeping the very same sentence in US law is rather hypcritical in my opinion.
When the US abolishes the death penalty in the States, then maybe the Iraquis will be more inclined to listen.

I am very definitely anti-death penalty since I believe there are better ways of dealing with those felons. Plus there have been too many miscarriages of justice for me to ever agree with anyone being put to death. If you can't give life, you have no right to give death.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Even if someone is aquinted in a court in one of those middle eastern countries, they usually end up being shot by angry relatives or vigilantes. Whats the difference?

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I have a tendency to agree with what you are implying Pisky, but in the case of Iraq and the bringing back of the death penalty, it is more due to Arabic reasonings than Western influences.

seekerof

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I thought under Saddams rule that it was the death penalty if you take my meaning.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I think the death penalty should be used in every country...

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
Thats the problem with hypocrisy - It comes back and bites you on the arse.

I dread to think, but given Middle East tribal divisions of opinion, could this mean
Iraq could implement Sharia Law. I hope not.
answering-islam.org.uk...
Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Arabs countries do have executions as part of their laws and stoning of people without trial, they also do public hangings and decapitations and don't forget cutting ones hand for stealing, that�s part of their laws. Right?

So not big deal.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
So not big deal

Personally marg6043,
I find Sharia law biased against Women and barbaric.
www.icj.org...
www.amnesty.org.uk...

Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Arabs countries do have executions as part of their laws and stoning of people without trial, they also do public hangings and decapitations and don't forget cutting ones hand for stealing, that�s part of their laws. Right?

So not big deal.

My point exactly. Whats really going to change? In Afghanistan they shot people in a staduim without trial. i've read dozens of reports of people in pakistan / iran / UAE (list goes on) who have been murdered after been found innocent by the courts by angry relatives/vigilantes(and the authorities turning a blind eye)

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   

TextI find Sharia law biased against Women and barbaric.

Whoops!!!

sorry I have to read about that now.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
There is no justice in death..I hope that after all the blood that has been spilt on Iraqi soil this past year the Iraqis will see this also.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky

For the US to tell Iraq to abolish the death penalty while keeping the very same sentence in US law is rather hypcritical in my opinion.
When the US abolishes the death penalty in the States, then maybe the Iraquis will be more inclined to listen.

Well, the way that I read it, it doesn't tell me definitively that this was solely a request from the US, but rather from the coalition in general. And, of course, the UK is a major member of the coalition, so this could be a concession from the US to the UK.

I see no reason why the US would be for banning the death penalty.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
They should have never abandoned it in the first place. Gotta keep these third world people tamed. No offense.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by courage7621
They should have never abandoned it in the first place. Gotta keep these third world people tamed. No offense.

The death penalty has never acted as any deterant for crime. It doesnt work in the US, what makes you think it will work in a counrty where people have even less to live for? I'm from a third country, trust me: It doesn't work!

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I'm sure that Bush will have no problem with it. He's probably people to the chair/injection more times than he's had texas steak. The whole world needs to realise the importance of human life in any instance.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
I think the death penalty should be used in every country...

Why?
Is it working at reducing serious crimes like murder?
Is it working in Congo, North Korea, Rwanda?

Do you have any statistics to prove it's effectiveness?

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Saddaam used his own death penalty, but apparently you can't use the death penalty unless a democratic government says its ok. Not to mention someone saying that death penalties can occur without trial. I think this is hypocritical of the aim of invading Iraq in the first place. We want them to have our government and our free trade (no more sanctions), so that we can get to their oil.

On a side note, I read about a country in Africa where everyone is allowed to kill one person without punishment and they have the lowest murder rate in the world. If someone gets killed, the murderer will face reprocutions from their relatives/friends...

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
My kid brother was stabbed to death on his front steps as he returned home from work by two junkies out for a robbery. That was in 1994; they should have died for their crime. They were released last year.

The death penalty would have deterred them from committing another murder.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join