It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greece shutting down for two days?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Greece shutting down for two days?

www.timesonline.co.uk

Greek public sector workers today began a 48-hour national strike that is a first test of the Government’s ability to enact new austerity measures agreed with the EU and IMF in return for billions of euros in aid.

Ministries, tax offices, schools, hospitals and public services were shutting down ahead of a midday rally of civil servants outside Parliament, organised by Adedy, the country’s main public sector union.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
It seems like Greek citizens are going on a strike to protest against the banking systems and the country's debt..

The biggest question here is how will the huge amounts of accumulating debt be paid off?? the bankers are not going to pay it off their own pockets.. it going to be the citizens with harsh taxes.. its the money earned from shedding blood and sweat by the people.. its time to wake up.....

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by yellow.sapphirine

from what I understand from most sources I've read and seen on the MSM in the UK that Greece has no chance of paying off these loans..

this strike was over the existing cuts, am utterly unsure what the reaction will be when the new cuts are outlined.. scary times..

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Americans need to do this !!!!

what worries me most is the hospitals closing

that is sad

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I am sure if this does not turn into a job filled recovery *cough* that it will spread to everywhere that has experienced large bailouts..

Most of us in the West are on a deferred repayment scheme, the Greeks know they have to start repaying their loans sooner... but not to worry, it will be our turn soon enough (our turn, meaning the West in general)

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Man these are chaotic times!!

People fighting for jobs, working harder each coming day, paying ever increasing taxes, buying ever increasingly expensive food & supplies...

Its like there is no time, no peace, no freedom.. everyday is a war.. its sad..

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by yellow.sapphirine
Man these are chaotic times!!

People fighting for jobs, working harder each coming day, paying ever increasing taxes, buying ever increasingly expensive food & supplies...

Its like there is no time, no peace, no freedom.. everyday is a war.. its sad..

It certainly feels like we're stuffed whichever way we look... the tensions in society itself are ratcheting up.. I just hope something comes along, new tech etc that creates all new revenue streams that can take up the slack in employment.. since it won't be long before the Greek contagion spreads.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
What an great opportunity is raising to Turkey for engage Greek (their old enemy) in situation when country is falling to its niece, when they have also take opposition against Israel/USA and ME is escalating soon to great chaos... I would not wonder if Turkey is soon one to blame from this mess - to get whole EU against Turkey if needed.

There is no coinsidenses, but economical war is always first step.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Rioting on Athens streets.. check the above forum...

People are obviously angry.. I guess no one knows what to do! I am not sure rioting will work or just make things worse..

and sitting at home in ignorance and not doing anything wont help either!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by yellow.sapphirine

I was watching it live... sad times we live in.. not sure how this will pan out, if someone gets killed or badly injured over the next day or so then I am sure this will escalate and get worse... I really hope it doesn't tho..

top topics

join