It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Hide User" feature I hope is in the final new ATS.com layout.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Sorry i'm a bit late on the info and discussions which are about the new switch that is hopefully sooner then alter to take place here at ats. so i apologize ahead if this has been discussed, i just personally dont have the time to read through tunz of replies and topics and try to search for it to eventually not even find it.

Like facebook it is setup so you can get the information you want quicker,, i believe that is what truly creates a great webpage.. I have an open mind and post often in numberous topics and wish to create discussion with people who i have similar points of views with. I find this sometimes hard on this board as it is.. Like facebook i really hope in the new layout there is a feature to completely 'hide' someone you wish to not be interested in, completely not be able to see their post or shared point of view unless it is quoted by someone i personally have not 'hid' yet.

i often find bickering between people with unopened minds and they really do like to blab their mouth and reply often which makes it hard for me to actually sift through the replies and find ones i wish to actually read. this is highly frustrating and when it happens i divert myself away from this webpage....

i strongly urge ats to add this hide feature if you wish to keep users like me here more often for longer periods of time.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Should you truly desire to completely ignore a certain user because you disagree with their viewpoint, there is a red "ignore" button on their mini-profile to the left of each post they make under their avatar (if they have one). Clicking that button will prevent you from seeing any and all posts they make unless quoted by someone else.

I do feel it's worth pointing out, however, that blocking all opposing viewpoints limits our opportunities to learn and grow intellectually. If nothing else, those opposing viewpoints can on occasion help you strengthen and refine your own point of view. Just food for thought though. The option to ignore people is there should you choose to use it.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
What a WONDERFUL idea! Just like Daily Kos! I was wondering when something like this would be suggested. Will a rating system be next? And maybe a feature to vote posts "off the island"?
(you'll understand this) /snark

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by hautmess
I have an open mind and post often in numberous topics and wish to create discussion with people who i have similar points of views with.

That really sounds a lot like group think to me.

I don't understand how you can claim to have an open mind.

I like all the information here on ATS and I think that many opposing view points make this site what it is.

I have changed my view on several issues because posters with opposing views have made some excellent points I had not considered.

There is a very diverse group of contributors here from all over the world with many different specialities and sets of knowledge and I've really enjoyed that part the most I think.

I'm sorry but I can't support this idea. I don't think it's in the spirit of denying ignorance.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by belial259

I have an open mind and post often in numberous topics and wish to create discussion with people who i have similar points of views with.

That really sounds a lot like group think to me.

I don't understand how you can claim to have an open mind.

I like all the information here on ATS and I think that many opposing view points make this site what it is.

I have changed my view on several issues because posters with opposing views have made some excellent points I had not considered.

There is a very diverse group of contributors here from all over the world with many different specialities and sets of knowledge and I've really enjoyed that part the most I think.

I'm sorry but I can't support this idea. I don't think it's in the spirit of denying ignorance.

i have an opened mind and wish to share it with other but when you get replys which disagree with your just for the sake of disagreeing, thats who i wish to filter... its like you replying with just "thats a stupid idea, IM sorry but i can't support this idea." without saying why.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by hautmess

yes, but you can choose to disregard those kinds of posts. and then there's the ignore button, which functions in almost the same way as the Hide User button you're proposing. by participating in forums, you should expect people to have views that are not similar to your own; and if you should choose to ignore those users who have different opinions than the one you have, you'd be denying yourself the opportunity to learn from them, as well as, forgo the chance to reinforce your belief in your views when their arguments fail to bring you over to their way of thinking.

or would you rather live in a world where all thoughts and opinions that you interact with are similar to yours? you don't have to open a browser to log on to a forum to do that 'coz you can use just about any text editor to create your very own monologue.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Come on people. There is a huge difference between those who can aptly state an opposing point of view worthy of consideration and those who incessantly rag on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on ............... forever repeating themselves against all the contrary evidence provided by those more clued in.

Some people just have a desperate need to foster their agenda and won't give up. For these people there is no better solution that the ignore button. Thank God its there.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

"thats a stupid idea, IM sorry but i can't support this idea." without saying why.

I quite clearly said why. I offered a few reasons and tried to relate my own experience of ATS.

Diverse and opposing viewpoints from many different parts of the world trying to deny ignorance.

And I never said "that's a stupid idea"

I can see why you might be having some problems. But I'm not going to debate the issue any further. I've already said my bit and I don't have anything else of relevance to add.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Where did he say "thats a stupid idea"? Maybe that portion of my monitor is "acting up"

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Is it because they don't agree with you that their minds are not open?

This is a discussion board. Discussion implys multiple views or perspectives, each ideally leading to a more complete understanding of the issue at hand.

If you're looking to get into a chat with like minded folks who all support your view, this ain't the place to do that.

Try a bookclub - you pick the members.

And the book, of course

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I've learned most from people I don't agree with - I might not agree with them, but all information shapes my perceptions for the better.

That's what having an open mind is.

Only wanting to discuss things with like minded individuals is closing your mind, and embracing ignorance.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well,is not this site a forum for open discussion of a topic?

What it seems to me, you want to self censure members who you don't agree with or who has dissenting opinions.

That is just strange to me.

There are many people from different countries and cultures who are members here.

I for one find it interesting to read how ignorant people are by where they are from.

The ignore function only allows you to ignore 10 members.

Use this function wisely.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by belial259

I think you're misunderstanding...

What I believe he was trying to get across was:
It would be like someone saying "thats a stupid idea, IM sorry but i can't support this idea." without saying why.
I don't think this was directed at you, but he is right in his logic. Unless I am assuming wrong, and he was, indeed, refering to you, in which case I take your side.

Even this demonstrates conflicting views, because people can misunderstand what was actually meant.

I like the ignore option, even though I haven't used it. It's just nice to know that it's there should I come across retarded people that do continue to attempt to paddle their raft up a waterfall! (I like this analogy... I just thought of it
)

(Edit for poor wording... just like I was explaining)

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Seitler]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Like someone has already said-

You can ignore certain users and they will never show on your screen again. This may not be what you are looking to do, but it works.

Just a warning, I have only set one user to ignore (someone I personally found unable to communicate properly and a bit disturbing in his content).

But all these months later I wish I didn't ignore the guy. He sometimes posts things in threads I find relevant to my interests and I find myself wishing I didn't reduce him to an invisible nothingness.

I am still unsure on how to "un-ignore" users, so the mistake is doubly bothersome for me.

Good luck finding a way to hide people's thoughts from your pristine little world.

I would not use such an option again, nor am I proud to have used it once before.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Mr Mask]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Now that's not truly being open-minded at all is it?

You would not believe the amount of people here whom I completely disagree with on certain issues and then completely agree with on other issues. To shut people out completely is not open-minded, but rather closed minded. To say "I am always right, and so and so is always wrong" is 100% closed-minded
If you want to truly be open-minded, don't put anyone on ignore and contemplate all response you read.

Just my opinion.

[edit on May 5th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I've got an idea, how about a "Hide from thread option."

I do agree that different views are great for opening minds, but some people are just crazy on certain topics. I know I can get a bit over-zelous about immigration laws, and probably irritate a lot of people in those threads, but in others I am right along side with the same people I driving nuts on other threads.

It's like certain friends you have off line; You don't talk to certain people about some things, but you want their input on other things... ya know.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask
I am still unsure on how to "un-ignore" users, so the mistake is doubly bothersome for me.

I've never ignored anyone, so I'm not sure if this will work, but I think you can un-ignore by going to "Manage Ignores" in the left column of the Member Center that can be reached via "ATS Account Settings" in the "member tools" menu.

I thought about putting someone on ignore just to test this theory, but am scared it won't work

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

It does. You can also see the names of everyone you have on ignore by going to "Manage Ignores". I check it periodically because I've accidentally ignored people before and didn't even realize it until someone quoted their posts and I started wondering how I missed it to begin with.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

I am still unsure on how to "un-ignore" users, so the mistake is doubly bothersome for me. Good luck finding a way to hide people's thoughts from your pristine little world. I would not use such an option again, nor am I proud to have used it once before.

Hiya Mask, I just stuck your ass on 'ignore' to see what happens. Like you, I don't see the point and never use it. I hit the red 'Ignore' button and got a pop-up telling me you're in my ignore list. Underneath it was a white button 'manage your ignore list.' Find the member and click on 'ignore' to delete them from your list.

Hmmmm? Maybe I'm the guy on the list? Testing. Testing. 123. Your momma's ass is fat. Whenever she turns round, it's a new season. When you were born, the midwife turned round and smacked your dad!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join