It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Oil Spill Sets Off Alarm Bells in Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
U.S. Oil Spill Sets Off Alarm Bells in Russia

A growing environmental disaster in the Gulf of Mexico from a huge oil spill is raising red flags among Russian environmentalists, who warned on Tuesday that local oil companies must act to avoid a similar occurrence at home.

A neglect of safety measures at Russian oil fields has put the Arctic, the Perm region and the Komi republic at particular risk of oil spills, environmentalists said.

“Oilmen are behaving badly, with a particularly bad attitude toward oil transportation,” said Alexei Yablokov, a leading Russian environmentalist and an adviser to the Russian Academy of Sciences.

Russian oil pipelines spring 30,000 to 40,000 leaks every year, most of which go unknown to the public and media, he said.

30,000 to 40,000 leaks every year...WOW!! Unknown to the public and media he says. I don't think these types of accidents are limited to just Russia. The current disaster in the Gulf is only in the MSM because of the size of the disaster, this is one that they can't exactly hide. Even with that, I am pretty sure the MSM is feeding us only what TPTB want us to know about it.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
maybe its time to say screw oil.

light sweet crude.....nothing but problems......

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by huntergatherer

It isn't the oil that is the problem, it is the greed behind the oil which is the problem

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
It's the fact that corporate lobbyists outnumber politicians 4:1. As usual corporations are getting away with dumping on the environment because of corrupt and inefficient governments.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I just want to re-focus on this :
30,000-40,000 leaks per year

That is an incredibly large number. I wonder if they're talking about say, a leak that sprung on a pipeline somewhere due to an old rubber seal breaking, or if they're referring to massive damaging leaks from an oil rig.

Surely they must be including minor non-threatening cases as well? And this is just Russia alone, I mean sure they haven't really recovered economically as well as other countries after the large wars so it stands to reason their equipment and staff might be a touch sub par...but even a fraction of 30,000 is still a damn big number.

My point is, if mother Russia is spewing that much oil out imagine what the rest of the world is doing....and unbeknown to the public ? sheesh!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I suppose any old car that drips a single drop of oil is an "oil leak" that threatens all of humanity.

But seriously, many dangerous industries cut corners on safety, especially at times when money is tight, which is always when you are in business.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow
I suppose any old car that drips a single drop of oil is an "oil leak" that threatens all of humanity.

Very good point!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by noomy
I just want to re-focus on this :
30,000-40,000 leaks per year

That is an incredibly large number. I wonder if they're talking about say, a leak that sprung on a pipeline somewhere due to an old rubber seal breaking, or if they're referring to massive damaging leaks from an oil rig.

Doc Velocity (ATS User) had a thread on this very same
topic a couple days ago and he showed a pic from
way up high that showed trails of oil on the ocean surface
where oil rigs were leaking into the sea. It was a great image
of how oil is damaging the environment. I cant find the thread
now, but u should see the image, it corroborates your thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 5-5-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

...I'm speechless....that is truly disturbing. I would love to find that thread and/or find more pictures illustrating this widespread destruction. How long has this been going on i wonder...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by huntergatherer

There is way too much money and control in the system to give it up, the earth makes oil and its not a fossil fuel.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
so your telling me they have all them leaks and tell no one what is the meaning of this its a disgrace there a disgrace and should be punished for there ignorance .

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow

But seriously, many dangerous industries cut corners on safety, especially at times when money is tight, which is always when you are in business.

So if a car engine leaks say 1 drops of oil a day ( some would leak more and some less) and there are 1000 drops of oil per liter , so that 1000 cars to make 1 liter of oil leaked ,and there are 50 million cars produced around the world each year , then thats appox 50000 liters of oil leaked per day around the would just from cars produced in one year let alone all the other cars still being used. Or the oil dripped on the ground from oil changes where the filler spills a bit on the engine and or ground.

It is estimated that over 600,000,000 passenger cars travel the streets and roads of the world today. So thats appox 600 thousand liters of oil leaked from cars per day around the world.

www.worldometers.info...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reevster
It is estimated that over 600,000,000 passenger cars travel the streets and roads of the world today. So thats appox 600 thousand liters of oil leaked from cars per day around the world.

It seems fitting, though, considering how many hundreds of millions of miles of asphalt we've dumped on this planet's surface to drive those passenger cars and their leaking engines on. Likewise, I wonder how many ecosystems that the world's cities, sprawling concrete and asphalt jungles that they are, have destroyed?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Reevster

This is why we need to focus more on these types of inventions:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7ae99828f8f0.jpg[/atsimg]

Sitting amidst a sea of cars in bumper-to-bumper traffic on an endless expresswa­y, have you ever daydreamed about your car taking off and flying over the road? Imagine if you could just flip a switch and unshackle yourself from the asphalt!
Source

Then we could remove all the asphalt and replace it with agriculture thus eliminating world hunger. I am sure there are plenty of productive things we could do with the old asphalt. In a perfect world of course.

[edit on 5/5/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Dear lord please no. Enough humans die on the roads at speeds limited to 100kmph (in my country anyhow) could you imagine the chaos if they allowed us into the sky!?! at speeds well over 200kmph?

Although I'm in total support of alternative forms of transport i honestly believe flying cars to be one of the worst possible ideas yet (with current navigational technology anyway...automated flight...possibly)

Anyway getting off topic here...

Likewise, I wonder how many ecosystems that the world's cities, sprawling concrete and asphalt jungles that they are, have destroyed?

Countless.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Alexei Yablokov, a leading Russian environmentalist and an adviser to the Russian Academy of Sciences.

~reports that:~ Russian oil pipelines spring 30,000 to 40,000 leaks every year, most of which go unknown to the public and media, he said. (A Yablokov)

i wonder how he gets those figures, when the media nor gov't oversight is providing him with true stats...

its just a opinionated guess i would say.

but he is correct that there needs much tighter & stricter regulation & compliance on oil pumpers, producers, transporters, refiners, et al.

its pretty much beyond the whisper stage that BP lobbied to exclude itself from installing a redundant, self sealing valve on the deep sea platform well that's now spreading oil in the gulf of mexico...
see- such a valve costs upward of $500,000,000.oo (1/2Billion $)
and a bunch of palm greasing to circumvent the requirement for this particular deep well (1 mile down)...led to the present situation

LIP-service is what all those involved should get for allowing this accident to turn into an ecological/commercial disaster, broad in scope...

LIPservice = Life-In-Prison
not the colloquial "lip-service' usually associated with such shennanigans and money players.

i wonder just how many of the other 1,000 deep water platforms are under protected if their platform catches fire/explodes and the well connection breaks

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Russia is really ahead of the West.

At least in terms of understanding what is really going on in this world right now.

new topics

top topics

join