It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany Calls for Global Nuclear Disarmament, Including NATO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Germany Calls for Global Nuclear Disarmament, Including NATO

english.cri.cn

Nuclear disarmament and arms control are the keystones of a global security architecture, German Foreign Minister Werner Hoyer said at the Nuclear Non- Proliferation Treaty (NPT) Review Conference at the United Nations headquarters on Tuesday.

"The NPT must be preserved and indeed strengthened here in New York," he said on the second day of the Review Conference. "I call on all states parties to act in accordance with their special shared responsibility at this important conference in order to make our world a safer and more peaceful place."

Germany, as well as a handful of other countries in the region, still hosts American nuclear weapons as part of NATO's nuclear sharing policy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/4/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I think this is wishful thinking on the part of the Germans IMO. This would be quite a feat if others were to follow suit. Although I have not done the research and am clueless as to Germany's Nuke stockpile, I think it would behoove them to be the first to do so for this suggestion to have a chance at fruition.

This article is seemingly in response to the article that was released about the US's Nuke stockpile amount of 5,113 Nukes in our arsenal.

It would take quite a few man hours to deconstruct the Nukes of the World. Think of all the jobs this venture would create.

english.cri.cn
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/4/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
The only nukes that Germany has are U.S. made. the only problems with disassembling all the nukes is 1: who is the last #ry to disarm, and how do you make them disassemble them, and 2: the technology has already been invented, and is next to impossible to un-invent

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
The world needs more nukes not less.

The threat of annihilation keeps things diplomatic. Nuclear armed states do not get invaded.

*Germany must want WW3 - because the only thing stopping us from not having that war is the fact that it is not yet survivable.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I like how the China press (Xinhua) reports on the German speaker at the NPT conference rather than reporting on their own speaker.

www.un.org...

They must have been a bit put off that they were #10 on the speakers list and Germany was #7.

Still, I like this quote from the German dude's speach about nukes...

"They no longer serve a military purpose and do not create security."

Errr.... Is there a new total destruction weapon that supercedes nukes that I have not hear of?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
1. Werner Hoyer is not the German foreign minister, he is just the secretary of the foreign minister. They use the term "Staatsminister" since a few years, but still he has no special power.

2. It is about supporting the „Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty". And indeed it is more "wishful thinking", since the hope is, that "someday" the conditions could be created for disarmament. The first goal is - and was since 1970 - that no nuclear weapons would be given to other countries.

So this all isn't new, but since meanwhile countries like Pakistan, India and North Korea are known to have nuclear weapons, too, it has got a new quality.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I don't know how much substance these statements really have. It sounds like more rhetoric to me.

Maybe they're trying to seem like they're doing something to give them any type of moral ground on which to lecture Iran. Because they certainly don't have one now.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I think people miss that it's the mere fear of nuclear arms that keeps people from not using them....and keeps people from attacking each other. It's like a criminal having a gun, yet the citizen has a gun. That criminal is a little wary to try to rob that citizen. That's my theory at least, the scary thing about nukes however is them falling into terrorists hands...that is scary because they don't fear the repercussions, in fact they'd probably kill themselves in the process. That part is scary...that's what makes nukes scary; honestly during the "cold war" nukes were never really something to be feared. Nukes in the hands of nations I don't fear, nukes in the hands of individuals, I do. Kind of the opposite of guns in that regard.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I have considered another possibility.

Given the current massive US military supremacy and it's recent leap into space more than a few countries are rather concerned. Who could know where these phantom terrorists could show up next.

There is a lot of tension, and the global economy is not going well. There will be food shortages this year and next because of a few factors, perhaps even a famine.

Maybe they know there is a war in the future and are trying to limit the number of, and the use of nukes. So that we don't wipe out mankind in the process.

It's obvious they have some plan to survive a catastrophe in the works and maybe we're being prepared.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Well, probably this is more profane as you people think. The Foreign Minister himself, who's name is Guideo Westerwelle, only propagates to get rid of nuclear weapons in Germany, which are not our's anyway, but US. He demands, that Russia must push back some of their's also.

We are just preparing for the elections here in Northrhinewestfalia (which is the part with the biggest population in the very west of our country) and it looks bad for the parties, who are in power, and especially for the liberals.

I think, it is a lot of powwow to show, that the small party is able to dance on the international parquet and that they can move things.

How much show it is, can already be seen in the fact, that the secretary for foreign affairs is called minister of state to make him appear more important. And indeed he was called Foreign Minister in the article.

It's showtime.

And by the way: If they should lose the elections in Northrhinewestfalia, then they lose their majority in the Federal Council...

new topics

top topics

join