It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Lieberman bill would strip citizenship

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
www.politico.com...

Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) thinks he’s found a work-around on the whole Miranda rights debate for U.S. citizens accused of terrorism: Strip their citizenship and ship them to Guantanamo.

Lieberman plans to introduce a bill that would amend a decades-old law aimed at yanking citizenship from U.S. citizens who fight for a foreign military.

“I’m now putting together legislation to amend that to [specify that] any individual American citizen who is found to be involved in a foreign terrorist organization, as defined by the Department of State, would be deprived of their citizenship rights,” Lieberman said Tuesday.

Such a law would potentially cover terror suspect Faisal Shahzad, a Pakistani-born American citizen charged in connection with the attempted car bombing in New York City’s Times Square. He was apprehended Monday night at the city’s John F. Kennedy airport after he boarded a flight to Dubai.

“If you have joined an enemy of the United States in attacking the United States and trying to kill Americans, I think you sacrifice your rights of citizenship,” Lieberman said.

There is one exception to the existing law: Americans are allowed to serve in the Israel Defense Forces without losing their citizenship.

I don't know about the rest of you but these people and their whole terrorism B.S. is really starting to get on my nerves. Now they want to take away your citizenship for being affiliated with an enemy of the US. I'm sure they will find a loophole in the legislation to extend it to many more things that can take away your citizenship and thus your rights.

You will be a man without a country!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
And this is how they will force the dissenters into the gulags.

Interesting, to say the least.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Lets see, in the espionage game this does happen. If, you are an enemy of the state, how is this not already being done. I know, I know....omg they'll use it on everyone. However, if this even stops one asshat like this guy, and ensures he pays for his deed, go for it. Everyone will soon be here screaming about his rights....what about the rights of the people he tried to kill? It's about time they mattered.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Comrade, who do you think you are questioning the leaders of Amerika? That's an act of terrorism, right there.

If you're not with us, you're with them. Freedoms are something that we could only appreciate in the past... After 9/11, we can't have freedoms like that anymore, because they hate our freedoms, so we have to take them away.

If you don't like it, then leave. Got it?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Lets see, in the espionage game this does happen. If, you are an enemy of the state, how is this not already being done. I know, I know....omg they'll use it on everyone. However, if this even stops one asshat like this guy, and ensures he pays for his deed, go for it. Everyone will soon be here screaming about his rights....what about the rights of the people he tried to kill? It's about time they mattered.

So what about murderers and rapists and every other class of criminal?

What about the rights of those people they hurt? Are they less important then the targets of terrorists?

In response to the article:
Lieberman has been a dangerous voice in the game for a long time; long enough I think. That's a man that needs a good kick to the curb come his next election cycle.

[edit on 5/4/2010 by eNumbra]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FalselyFlagged
Comrade, who do you think you are questioning the leaders of Amerika? That's an act of terrorism, right there.

If you're not with us, you're with them. Freedoms are something that we could only appreciate in the past... After 9/11, we can't have freedoms like that anymore, because they hate our freedoms, so we have to take them away.

If you don't like it, then leave. Got it?

I'm a pacifist so I oppose violence, and I'm an Atheist so I hate those retarded terrorist groups so I don't have to worry about that. I will continue to speak out against the government and if they try to stop me, well... let's just say everyone will know.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
This is getting out of hand. When are the American people going to wake up realize that freedom, liberty and justice is nothing but a fleeting old dream? I'm afraid that before people realize that they are losing the entire American idea, it will be too late and already gone. This kind of stuff just gets me angry. It's as if Americans simply don't care anymore or they expect someone else to do something. What happened to us?

--airspoon

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Great bill proposal, Joe. You don't mind if I ask you to have the Constitution amended first so that the determination of citizenship will now rest solely in the hands of the State Department to individuals that are appointed and not elected, right?

I mean after all let us be fair about this, I haven't asked for your immediate public execution for proposing an idea that is against everything that this country was founded upon, have I?

I think it best, Mr. Lieberman, that you walk back to your chair, sit down and take a double dose of STFU. Thank you.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I have a better idea.
How bout if we strip Joe Lieberman of just one of his TWO citizenships and send HIM back to Israel? Win-win for everyone.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

“I’m now putting together legislation to amend that to [specify that] any individual American citizen who is found to be involved in a foreign terrorist organization, as defined by the Department of State, would be deprived of their citizenship rights,” Lieberman said Tuesday.

Oh awesome. Looks like just about everyone qualifies to lose citizenship then seeing as how they've already named over half the population as potential terrorists. How exactly do brilliant people like this get elected? Can anyone explain that to me?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Gawd.

A new low for Joe.

You'd have thought he set his personal bar about an inch off the ground during his last campaign but I suppose people can always surprise you.

So...he wants an accusation to be the same as absolute proof of guilt without the need for a trial or adequate presentation of suitable evidence?

Nice logic.
Is he a part of the Birther movement as well?

Can I accuse him of terrorism and be rid of him for a bit?

Good one, Joe.

Go take a nap, now.

- Lee

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
So let's revoke all dual Israeli-US citizens of their status since Israel did 911, the USS liberty, and various spying episodes.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
All Americans are enemies of the U.S. Gov't and have been since 1933 due to an amendment in the Trading With The Enemy Act of 1917. As far as any commercial, monetary or business transactions are concerned, United States citizens are no longer any different from any other enemy of the United States.

This whole terrorism thing is being manufactured to slowly continue eroding the illusion of freedom and set up a framework to prosecute Americans just for not agreeing with the Gov't on any number of issues. Healthcare, gun control, abortion, whatever. If you don't like what they are doing then someday you may be hauled off to a work camp with no opportunity to defend yourself. The threat of it alone will shut most people up while the outspoken get sacrificed and their fellow, more timid countrymen watch it happen.

Theses types of laws always start out as one thing to get their foot in the door and then years later they get changed. Just like The Trading With The Enemy Act and The Patriot Act. They were written up to supposedly protect us from foreigners, but magically they end up being used on us. Same story different year.

You have to ask yourself why they would need these types of laws and what the endgame to these laws is. Command and control.

There are two ways to achieve an objective, reason and force. If the gov't can't get you to do what they want by reasoning with you then they will use force to make you do it. We are still relatively safe until they come for our guns.

That is the only thing stopping them from forcing us to do what they want. It is a logistical nightmare haveing armed citizens and trying to force those citizens to kneel down to their masters.

Trust me when I say that they ARE coming for the guns. The U.N. Millenium Declaration seeks to disarm the world and seeing as how we no longer have sovereignty we will do exactly what the U.N. says, like it or not. The framework is there, they just have to figure out a way to accomplish it.

Many people on this board disregarded Codex Alimentarius saying it was BS and it wouldn't happen, well McCain tried to push a bill turning vitamins into drugs and luckily got shot down. Now our masters are at it again with the banking reform act and sneaking Codex language into it.

These same tactics will be and are being used for guns. However, our guns are our last chance at not being forced. When I read laws like this Lieberman joke, I see it playing out in a way to vilify gun owners.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by TheRoadLessTraveled]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I say the first one that should be arrested, stripped of it's citizenship and sent to Guantanamo for a little vacation is LIEBERMAN.

Then all those WHO VOTES FOR THIS ARE GONNA FOLLOW HIM.

Kick him at the next election cycle? Seriously? TREASON IS PUNISHED WITH NOT BEING REELECTED?

TREASON IS PUNISHED BY DEATH ACCORDING TO THE CONSTITUTION.

That piece of garbage should be ARRESTED, TRIED, AND SENTENCED TO DEATH FOR TREASON.

The case will be quick, writing this bill in the first place is treason. No need for further proof that he's a traitor. Drafting laws going totally against the constitution IS TREASON.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
EIN VOLK, EIN REICH, EIN FUHRER!!!!

Hitler lost the battles, but war is finally won by the secret sons of the nazis! The fourth Reich rises !!!

To hell with fair trial and the legal process. The people are frightened and will agree to anything. One world, one belief, one ruler!

Heil Liberman!

Sieg Heil Amerika!!!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
They let anybody become senators, even old fools like this Lieberman, But if I were the ptb he would be the model all others should be judged by 'easily controlled'. Oh yes that bill if it passed is definitively a slippery slope.

I think anybody who joined an enemy of the United States in attacking the United States and trying to kill Americans, should bear the full blight of the justice system.
I dont see what citizenship has to do with this, maiby hes gone more senile then he was.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Why the outrage really? Congressman just tryin to follow the good program. This would help America get rid of "unamerican people".

I mentioned this stripping of citizenship in a heated debate about all that Arizonian Law issue but it was like a fart in the wind. Thank God Mr. Lieberman gets it.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Joe Lieberman should have his citizenship stripped. Call me crazy but I don't think that people with dual citizenship's should be in the government. Seems like a bit of a conflict of interest. Send him back to Israel, maybe they will like him?

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Karlhungis]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Exv8densez

Yeah because that really is the new American way, guilty until proven innocent.

I m sick of people agreeing with this way.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
And this is how they will force the dissenters into the gulags.

I was just thinking the very same thing.

Not only is this aimed at foreign entities
but at domestic ones as well.

true Patriots of the US Constitution could find
themselves de-patriated .... even without a trial.
Just by mere speculation by a gov entity.

I hope this bill does not pass, else there could
be millions less Americans.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by boondock-saint]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join