It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS removes key NY bomb plot details concerning super surveillance techniques from story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Were US Special Forces Involved in the Arrest of Faisal Shahzad?

Reports are emerging suggesting that secret US military intelligence aircraft were used to find and locate Faisal Shahzad, the man accused of attempting to set off a crude car bomb in Times Square. The CBS affiliate in New York reported today: "In the end, it was secret Army intelligence planes that did him in.

Armed with his cell phone number, they circled the skies over the New York area, intercepting a call to Emirates Airlines reservations, before scrambling to catch him at John F. Kennedy International Airport." The post at 5:34 PM was titled "Army Intelligence Planes Led To Suspect's Arrest." But then at 6:21 PM, the article's title was changed to "Total Time Of Investigation: 53 Hours, 20 Minutes: Faisal Shahzad In Custody After Nearly Fleeing United States."

As Rayne observed on FireDogLake, the paragraph about the Army planes was deleted from the CBS story. Screenshot of the original post here.

A US Special Operations Force source told me that the planes were likely RC-12s equipped with a Guardrail Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) system that, as the plane flies overland "sucks up" digital and electronic communications. "Think of them as manned drones. They're drones, but they have men sitting in them piloting them and they can be networked together," said the source.

"You have many of them--four, five, six of them--and they all act as a node and they scrape up everything, anything that's electronic and feed it back." The source added: "It sucks up everything. We've got these things in Jalalabad [Afghanistan]. We routinely fly these things over Khandahar.

When I say everything, I mean BlueTooth would be effected, even the wave length that PlayStation controllers are on. They suck up everything. That's the point."

www.thenation.com...

Wow. I'm sure we all knew this type of technology was there and being used. But to just stop and think about it. This guy says these planes pull up every type of signal there is. BlueTooth, I'm sure even wireless internet.

I know it just supposedly caught a suspected terrorist, and I can understand this type of surveillance being used over targets in the Middle East. But to have 4-6 already there and available over New York....How much are we being watched already?

We already know the answer here. Everything. But to hear it from the MSM then have them delete it....Conspiracy...

[edit on 4-5-2010 by webpirate]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Sounds a little over dramatic to me.

I don't see how these planes that are flying thousands of feet in the air can intercept Bluetooth signals when Bluetooth only has a 30 foot range, might be more now. Cell Phones, Satellite, anything signal that passes it's sensors I'm sure it picks up.

Interesting though. If this guy is an American then I think they just lost the case.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Light of Night

Nah..I think if CBS removed all mention of it from their story as quickly as they did, lends a lot of credibility to it really being able to pick up those signals.

They released something they shouldn't have.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

You can't pick up a signal if you are out of range of the signal. If something only transmits 30 feet how are you going to pick up the signal for 10,000 feet? it just doesn't work like that.

I'm not debating the existence of the technology, I just don't think the technology is as powerful as this person is making it out to be.

Edit

CBS probably removed mention of it because the Army was used which goes against the Army being used for domestic operations to catch criminals.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Light of Night]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Baloney.

If I were to go through the trouble of attempting a car bomb that will be linked by several blocks to a tv cartoon, maybe I might use toss away cell phones.

We are to believe some kind of super secret drone or something zeroed in on his cell phone signal and that did him in?

If he is that careless of a terrorist (total failure, first with the bomb now with the cell phone) he deserves to be caught, amateur.

How convenient they caught this muslim man so quickly and were able to immediately connect it to south park.

Well why am I surprised in our sound byte adhd culture?

Something is very fishy about this entire event.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
What I have most fascinating, but not mentioned anywhere; is the retrieval of web based e-mail from craig's list. To me, it looks like that pesky NSA is still spying on the American public by gathering all internet traffic.

Apparently being able to retrieve old e mail is just one of their tricks.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Enemy of the Sate 2 ---Starring "Faisal Shahzad"...

Future series of "Enemy of the Sate ___", character roles to be filled by you.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d48cd1376bdb.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 4-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone was paying attention but both NCIS go 90% with whats going on in the "Times Square to much I say!!!!!!
That dude is an idiot....I mean I agree that you feel so strongly about your cause( I wish I had something to believe in) but dude where did you get your training???? IED's are going on left and right in the middle East but you cant put a simple " M80) together"???

[edit on 4-5-2010 by madhadder545]

[edit on 4-5-2010 by madhadder545]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
hmmm...and now the site I took the article from is down and has been for a couple of hours.

Call me paranoid, but that sounds like someone else just got shut up.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
sound like a cover story to me.

"intercepting a call to Emirates"

Cell phones have operating systems with back doors to allow remote activation of GPS.

NSA activates his GPS and sends in the boys to pick him up...simple as that.

The real trick is how does the NSA go about finding the right needle in the haystack to intercept.

first....filter calls from surrounding XX miles from the incident looking for tel tel patterns......well you get the idea.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by zzombie]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by zzombie
sound like a cover story to me.

"intercepting a call to Emirates"

Cell phones have operating systems with back doors to allow remote activation of GPS.

NSA activates his GPS and sends in the boys to pick him up...simple as that.

The real trick is how does the NSA go about finding the right needle in the haystack to intercept.

first....filter calls from surrounding XX miles from the incident looking for tel tel patterns......well you get the idea.

"

[edit on 5-5-2010 by zzombie]
More excellent points.

I also find it convenient he was intercepted before boarding a plane to Pakistan.

" On Monday, Shahzad was added to the U.S. no-fly list barring him from air travel and the Customs and Border Protection unit of the Department of Homeland Security alerted its officers to watch for him. Later that evening, CBP officers discovered that Shahzad had boarded Emirates flight 202 at John F. Kennedy International Airport scheduled to depart at 11 p.m. EDT (0300 GMT). The plane cabin door was closed but before before it left the gate to take off, the door was re-opened and Shahzad was removed from the flight and arrested."

www.reuters.com...:s0:a49:g43:r3:c0.135371:b33658272:z0

This story should have invoked fear in us because it seems to hit on all the terror talking points.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Someone needs to question the credibility of their source. The RC-12 is a piloted aircraft based on the King Air. It is not a drone.

Originally posted by webpirate

Were US Special Forces Involved in the Arrest of Faisal Shahzad?

Reports are emerging suggesting that secret US military intelligence aircraft were used to find and locate Faisal Shahzad, the man accused of attempting to set off a crude car bomb in Times Square. The CBS affiliate in New York reported today: "In the end, it was secret Army intelligence planes that did him in.

Armed with his cell phone number, they circled the skies over the New York area, intercepting a call to Emirates Airlines reservations, before scrambling to catch him at John F. Kennedy International Airport." The post at 5:34 PM was titled "Army Intelligence Planes Led To Suspect's Arrest." But then at 6:21 PM, the article's title was changed to "Total Time Of Investigation: 53 Hours, 20 Minutes: Faisal Shahzad In Custody After Nearly Fleeing United States."

As Rayne observed on FireDogLake, the paragraph about the Army planes was deleted from the CBS story. Screenshot of the original post here.

A US Special Operations Force source told me that the planes were likely RC-12s equipped with a Guardrail Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) system that, as the plane flies overland "sucks up" digital and electronic communications. "Think of them as manned drones. They're drones, but they have men sitting in them piloting them and they can be networked together," said the source.

"You have many of them--four, five, six of them--and they all act as a node and they scrape up everything, anything that's electronic and feed it back." The source added: "It sucks up everything. We've got these things in Jalalabad [Afghanistan]. We routinely fly these things over Khandahar.

When I say everything, I mean BlueTooth would be effected, even the wave length that PlayStation controllers are on. They suck up everything. That's the point."

www.thenation.com...

Wow. I'm sure we all knew this type of technology was there and being used. But to just stop and think about it. This guy says these planes pull up every type of signal there is. BlueTooth, I'm sure even wireless internet.

I know it just supposedly caught a suspected terrorist, and I can understand this type of surveillance being used over targets in the Middle East. But to have 4-6 already there and available over New York....How much are we being watched already?

We already know the answer here. Everything. But to hear it from the MSM then have them delete it....Conspiracy...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Funny, I just went to the link and it worked.

reply to post by webpirate

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by pacific_waters

Surely did.

wcbstv.com...

What is odd to me is that in the criminal complaint report, found HERE

It states that the mobile phone that Faisal Shahzad used to contact the seller of the SUV (and which I assume is the only number connected to him) had ceased to be active around the 28th of April.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by pacific_waters

The original report does say it is a piloted plane. It also calls it a drone too though. From other sources I have read, it seems like they are remotely flown to an area, then piloted only during the mission.

The Radio Remote Receiving Set (AN/ARW-83) is commonly referred to as the Airborne Relay Facility (ARF). The ARF consists of equipment installed in a modified Beechcraft Super King Air aircraft with a military designation of RC-12. The ARFs are manned only by the pilots during a mission.

www.fas.org...

Therefore, it is both, just like this says. If you have information that is not publicly available then it isn't far to criticize those who don't or can't get that info.
I have confirmed this about the plane on several sources.
I did not write the original article, but I can verify and back up at least parts of it.

And yes. The link is working again. It must have really been down for site maintenance then....

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
This is the RC-12n (one of many variants of the Beechcraft C-12 Huron):

Those are all antennae dotting the entire fuselage and wingtips. They weren't being hyperbolic, it really does pick up everything out there.

top topics

join