It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hot Mayor of Fresno, CA Declares Fiscal Emergency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I knew that would get your attention.

Check out the vid here

RESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The city of Fresno is facing a $30.6 million budget shortfall and the mayor announced she wants to cut hundreds of city jobs.

Mayor Ashley Swearengin says 225 jobs will be eliminated and 81 vacancies will go unfilled. It means roughly one out of every 12 city workers will be let go.

At a news conference Monday, Swearengin says the city is in a state of "fiscal emergency."

In addition to the cuts, outsourcing city services to the private sector and charging a franchise fee is a big part of her plan. In return the city would receive millions of dollars in revenue.

Swearengin said, "These economic conditions force us to be innovative and creative. And we've responded with a budget filled with pain. But it's also a budget with promise."

Swearengin hopes to have her "fiscal emergency" budget approved by the city council on Thursday.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Dbriefed]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

Good for her.

She is the first person in California that I have ever heard have a lick of sense. I guess she must be the smartest person to ever come from Califronia.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Hahahaha Quantitative ponzinomics for the win.

You guys are bailing out the EU while you're own states are going broke. The stupidity of your leaders is astounding.

Only one man can save you now

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I dont think it's a good idea.
she's just hurting the over-all economy more
by outsourcing those jobs. Now the state
won't have to pay gov employees benefits
nor retirements. If ur gonna cut jobs,
that's one thing but if you're gonna fire people
and them hire private contractors to do the
same jobs, then you have just $H!+
on your employees.

She won't get re-elected.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

good job Swearengin, good job.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Holy smokes she was hot.

I am kinda confused on this er.. "Franchise" idea she has. How do you Franchise a city????

Outsourcing the jobs just means the new employees will make half the wage, while one man makes a fortune..... she would have been better off slashing benefits and cutting pay for a short while.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
It's easier for those in power to fire loyal employees than actually make intelligent fiscal decisions.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
No police or firemen will be let go. They are hoping more people will volunteer.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Wow a hot mayor and a not hot news reporter. That would not fly up there in New York CITY! Sorry for only commenting on the hotness of the mayor.. but your title caught me and i thought it was going to be a guy! lol

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nemesis0123
No police or firemen will be let go. They are hoping more people will volunteer.

No it's far easier to fire teachers.

US Gov just released 2010 estimates of 275,000 more teachers expected to be laid over the next 12 months.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Google images of her. She's got that Molly Ringwald auburn Jewish thing going on.

Do you think the Democrats have any nude photos of her?

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Cabaret Voltaire]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

US Gov just released 2010 estimates of 275,000 more teachers expected to be laid over the next 12 months.

Originally posted by Rockpuck

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Hopefully outsourcing works. There were more people hired for government jobs over the last year than private jobs. We 139Million employed people can't support millions of government jobs. As many government jobs should be privatized as possible, and a welcome side effect would be to destroy SEIU.

new topics

top topics

join