It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town BANS selling bottled water... Welcome to Amerika, land of the free!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
It just sounds like a stupid way to lose tax revinue. People will just pop over to the next town or something to get what they want.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
So, what? To Hell with bottled water. The idea of selling water is ludicrous anyways. Buy a reverse osmosis system for clean water. Bottled water?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by standingwest

I like your point about the twinkies and hot dogs.
I upsized my barbeque grill and left the old in the garage, lid down with one leftover hot dog on it. Over a year later, that darned thing looked good enough to eat! Still glistening with grease and just as plump as the day it was grilled.

I must say that we prolong the existence of plastic items by burying them in landfills. If you let a plastic item lying out in the sun, unless it is treated against uv radiation, will break down a lot more quickly.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
You know this is funny to me because I thought we recycled these things. Hmph!

Well as another has said - Four words

"Save money - buy Berkey"

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gromle
How is the tapwater in the U.S? The tapwater I tasted in california 5 years ago tasted like #. If the rest of the water is just a bad, I can understand that people buy their water.

keep in mind though...

Bottled water is not always "better" than tap water:
www.nrdc.org...

Also, keep in mind, some bottled water IS tap water:
money.cnn.com...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by FalselyFlagged

For all of you saying that tap water is sooooo safe you are aware that tap water is now contaminated with prescription drugs in addition to flouride. So even if you like the flouride, you might not like hormones, that is unless you dont have enough of your own. But what if your male, and you dont really want to drink female hormones?

And more importantly what if your SANE, and dont want to be ingesting Prozac???

Most experts say their discovery reflects better sensing technology as much as anything else. Still, as Hal Zenick of the agency’s office of research and development put it in an e-mail message, “there is uncertainty as to the risk to humans.”

In part, that is because the extent and consequences of human exposure to these compounds, especially in combination, are “unknown,” the Food and Drug Administration said in a review issued in 2005. And aging and increasingly medicated Americans are using more of these products than ever.

www.nytimes.com...

[edit on 5-5-2010 by burntheships]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
*applaud* this town is taking a step to cut back its environmental footprint. how is that a strike against freedom? You are not allowed to dump oil on the side of the road, is that limiting our freedom? Your not allowed to throw car batteries in public lakes, how does that fit into your vision of freedom?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
And on the question of recycling plastic water bottles...

Taken from this web site:
www.nrdc.org...

"And while the bottles come from far away, most of them end up close to home -- in a landfill. Most bottled water comes in recyclable PET plastic bottles, but only about 13 percent of the bottles we use get recycled. In 2005, 2 million tons of plastic water bottles ended up clogging landfills instead of getting recycled."

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acid_Burn2009

My favorite was always...

Spell EVIAN backwards and what do you have?

NAIVE, because that is what you have to be to pay that much for water!
;;I

thought about starting my own water company called DIPUTS!
lolol:

Lol funny, what does fluoride spell backward or chlorine or pesticide or fertilizer, surely now in 2010 you know we buy bottled water for reasons other than being a yuppie or cos we've got too much money.

And why the hell did you only make jokes about bottled water why not any of the pops or sodas at least water's good for you unlike any of the other drinks you can buy when out of the home.

"Tap water never did anyone any harm" Tell that to the senile guy with bad kidneys and arthritis, oh you can't he's too confused to understand.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Thepreye]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Funny, I thought a thermos and a water bottle have basically the same cylinder shape.

But one you can fill up at home over and over again. The other, you use once and throw away.

The difference is that method it is made, and the potential to be reused.

Bascially saying that bottled water machines means that you equate freedom to companies having the right to take your money and force you to drink form THEIR supply. Are you advocating the freedom of water companies then?

Most of whom use tap water?

If the label on a bottle of water does not specify a certain spring, and the method they have purified it, you can pretty much bet your getting tap water. The same water supply a fisherman peed in.

So if you want to advcate paying 1.25 for 16oz of tap water that you pay 10 bucks for every three months, go ahead.

How do you know they didn't petition to have fountains removed?

[edit on 5-5-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by hlesterjerome

PET/PETE is not recommended as a re-usable container as it leaches a nasty compound called DEHP which is a carcinogen and the leaching rate increases progressively after manufacture. Other commonly used plastics for bottles contain a variety of carcinogens and estrogen imitating compounds that leach out so burying them is probably creating biological time-bombs and burning is right out too. The pollution and energy + resource expenditure in making the stuff needs to be addressed too so perhaps the only workable solution is to not make it in the first place or at least find ways to make and use far less of it.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Acid_Burn2009

The majority of my career has been well water inspection. Quite a few times I have run into homeowners who sell bottled water. (because of my career, people would discuss water with me like someone discusses cars with a mechanic, LOL) cute. But they confessed to me that 1)bottled water is a rip off and 2) they just drink their well water.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Most of whom use tap water?

[edit on 5-5-2010 by nixie_nox]

Not without labeling it properly, I don't think any do in the UK since Coke got busted doing it, major scandal over here a few years back.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Im glad someone else noticed the ban of bottled water in concord.

Im from a nearby city and I feel like the ban is a good first step away from harmful plastics. Maybe if the bottles weren't made of POISON we would not consider banning them....

I was actually going to write a thread about the water break being an inside job to make people realize that bottled water is somehow necessary, and also to keep people shelling out money to corporations that have the government by the balls....

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Incredible step and very much in right direction by the Govt. I applause them for this move and hope they add other products which uses plastic as well.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Most bottled water is just tap water anyway. You're better off drinking from the city since it's the same damn thing.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry
Most bottled water is just tap water anyway. You're better off drinking from the city since it's the same damn thing.

Care to prove that statement or is it just a guess.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
As I said before, I drink tap water.

What is funny is the fact that convenience is sooo important to today's consumers.
If consumers were cost-conscious, they wouldn't pay the price for what is at best spring water, at worst water straight from a municipal supply.

People mention reverse osmosis systems. Again it boils down to convenience.
RO systems have membranes that go bad and need to be replaced.
You have to wash that reusable bottle, just not convenient enough.

Should manufacturers be allowed to sell paper plates, disposable plastic cups and plastic dinnerware?
Don't these items end up in a landfill too?
Where do we draw the line?

P.S. I have done work for a major bottled water supplier in the US. Not that long ago, they had to flush their piping and systems for bottling spring water because of molybdenum contamination, so even spring water can be bad out of the bottle!

[edit on 5-5-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thepreye

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry

Care to prove that statement or is it just a guess.

Did you ever hear of doing research? Like a Google search...anyhow here ya go:

abcnews.go.com...

www.cnn.com...

Bottled water IS tap water.

Advise...buy a good water filter and do-it-yourself!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Thepreye

Bottled water is always high quality, whereas tap water is of inconsistent quality. IBWA often points out that "unfortunately, tap water can be inconsistent -- sometimes it might be okay and other times it is not." On the other hand, IBWA says, "quality is in every container of bottled water. It's consistent and it is inspected and monitored by governmental and private laboratories." [237] What IBWA neglects to point out, however, is that in many cases bottled water does contain contaminants, that most tap water is required to be monitored more often than bottled water (and testing must be done by government-certified labs, which is not the case for bottled water), and that about one fourth or more of the bottled water sold in the United States is derived from the same tap water IBWA says is of inconsistent quality.

www.nrdc.org...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join