It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town BANS selling bottled water... Welcome to Amerika, land of the free!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FalselyFlagged

Finally we start to see some love and care for our planet. It disgusts me that for increase of wealth the things human beings do to kill our home. I hope more states catch on to this so we can have a cleaner future.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Evil
clear plastic water bottles - hum. it seems I read something about a chemical in the plastic that got released into the water once the plastic was exposed to sunlight for a period of time, the water became somewhat toxic. I would like to see exactly what the researchers found.

The story is that it is dioxyn. If you freeze or or heat it, dioxin is released.

But that was called a "urban myth" since that story came out.

Problem for me is, i know people who have access to mass spectrometers. They drink out of metallic containers only, such as aluminum and steel.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Plastic bottles and plastic grocery bags will eventually be banned on a federal level.

While most plastic bottles and grocery bags are recyclable, too many bottles and bags do not end up actually being recycled.

There is a floating trash heap out in the pacific ocean the size of Texas. Most of the trash in that heap is plastic bottles and grocery bags.

Should we really be given the freedom to continue to pollute the Earth to the brink of it's ability to sustain life? Would that be fair to future generations?

...'waaaa...I should be free to do ANYTHING I WANT, even if I don't have any concern how my actions affect others..."

A lot of people complain about our government spending, claiming we shouldn't be giving this debt to our children and grand children (I agree with this).

But yet, where is the outcry over the fact the the pollution we spew today will eventually have to be cleaned up by future generations?

If we don't become more responsible with our technology...who will?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
How is the tapwater in the U.S? The tapwater I tasted in california 5 years ago tasted like #. If the rest of the water is just a bad, I can understand that people buy their water.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
LOL This goes to show you mankind's stupidity.

I guess if 2012 hits that they won't have any bottle water to survive off of.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Interesting review on Plastic containers,

The Link Between BPA and Heart Disease

New research from the Peninsula Medical School and the University of Exeter in the United Kingdom has confirmed the results from an earlier study showing a link between bisphenol-A (BPA) exposure and cardiovascular disease. Bisphenol A is a chemical used to make hard, clear plastic and epoxy resin and can be found in such everyday items as plastic food and drink containers and it can leach into food and drink.

Study researchers compared data from the U.S. government's National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, which measured the urinary concentrations of BPA levels in 1,455 people in 2003-2004 and 1,493 people in 2005-2006 and found that one-quarter of the population with the highest levels of BPA were more than twice as likely to report having heart disease or diabetes compared to one-quarter of the population with the lowest BPA levels

www.qualityhealth.com...

One more reason to stay away from plastic bottles

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I am kind of stuck in the middle on this one.
I drink tap water, I won't pay more for water than gasoline.
I know why they don't put consumables in glass containers if they can use plastic, it is cheaper. That means cheaper for us, the consumer.

I suppose if that town wants to restrict freedoms, that is the place for it to be done, at the local level.

Do the people that passed this ordinance think that their serfs(townspeople) will quit buying bottled water? That would be like thinking that no one will drink liquor in a dry county!
They will buy the bottled water in the next town over, and probably some other things, too! Thereby hurting the economy of the town.

All said, I think it is a misguided attempt to help keep the landfills clear of some plastic.
My prediction is that it will reduce the landfill by less than 5% and reduce the towns overall grocery sales by more than 5%.

Now, how many landfills are in Concord?

From what I could find, they ship their waste to Braintree, Mass.

www.google.com... 4L78Abfi4mGDA&usg=AFQjCNEgxbtNEjUYi_ssoiE2sKu7hniacA

[edit on 5-5-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Honestly this sounds great. I'm all against tyranny, but honestly people need to learn to tighten up on the way they live. There's going to be people that say it's false flag agenda when they finally get rid of fossil fuels in high technology, and there probably always will be those kind of people.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by vardlokkur]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I demand the right to sell lead based paint! It's my right to sell it, and my kid's right to eat it! Do they NOT KNOW this is AMERICA?!?!?!?

(Cue music)

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I think the OP was commenting on the banning of a consumer item, not the actual item. Where does a level of government get off "banning" anything?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by standingwest

How about if the non toxic paint that we can buy would only be sold in latex balloons.
They are biodegradable now, and won't take up much landfill space.

Real handy, too!

I am sorry I put this up, some town councilperson in Mass might read it, and you poor boogers up there will be buying your paint in balloons.-

[edit on 5-5-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

I see no problem with this ban and I 100% agree with it. Let us not forget that *most* brands of bottled water is bottled TAP water, you ain't getting anything better than what you get out of a faucet. If you want a bottled water, use a reusable bottle.

This is more about caring for the ONE PLANET our species can exist on, rather than how you're twisting it to sound like taking away freedom. They aren't taking away your right to a bottled beverage, they're only forcing you to use a reusable container rather than polluting your only livable planet.

If you don't agree with taking care of the only planet we can exist on, then please by all means go live on the moon without a space suite and do your bitching there till you explode.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Just a few things to add here as I have NO PROBLEM with the city passing this law. It's shameful that it was expanded to include other softdrinks as well.

First of all, MOST bottled water comes right from the tap. In fact, Coca-Cola recently admitted that Dasani is only tap water. In fact, the part of the country I live in, Dasani is tap water that comes right from the Detroit River - YUCK!!!

Next, by volume, bottled water costs nearly 10 times what gasoline costs! Why would someone pay that!?!?

Anything that reduces our reliance on plastic and reduces the amount entering our ecosystem is a good thing. People can continue to sell water in the town, but it cannot be sold in plastic disposable bottles.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

It would be more commendable if Concord took care of their own waste.
What I could find is that Concord closed their landfills in 1993 and 2001, made a park out of one.
Their waste is another towns problem, they ship it to Braintree.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Go to the nearest Costco or Walmart outside city limits.

Stock up on cases of bottled water.

Walk around and enjoy your beverage.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Saving or protecting the planet is not a bad thing. Yet, banning bottled water, while other sodas and drinks continue to be made and sold is just plain ignorant.

This says to me that plastic is not as much the issue as water. While I am just learning about the massive chemicals in our "fresh" home water like flouride, a result of flourine, and other chemicals, I spend a lot on bottled water.

I think a better idea would have been to increase the use of recycling somehow.

Most of you probably know about this. I am not advertising it but, I think I will be getting it. If my state also bans bottled water, what other choice will I have.

This is an atmospheric water generator. High Price. I think it is worth it though.

www.ecoloblue.com...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Eagle790

A lot of people have 'atmospheric water generators' in their basements.
Dehumidifiers. They pull water out of the atmosphere, by condensing it on a coil, then it drips into a pan. Then the pan overflows and leaks water all over the floor of the basement that they are trying to keep dry.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

That's why we invented money, so that you can buy things that you want. Or buy things that you NEED, like water.

Wow so America 'INVENTED' Money? Thats new to me... Here I was thinking it existed way before America did... But you know your things, thats why your complaining about water, despite that the article your complaining about wasn't about the water itself, but merely the containers they existed in...

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Aoxoa]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
People will still be able to get whatever water they want, whenever they want. Like others have said, drive to another town; how hard is that? Or simply use the internet and buy in bulk. In fact buying water in bulk off the internet would be a lot cheaper than buying one bottle of water for $1.59 (or however much you spend).

So for those people who want to stock up in case the SHTF, just order offline.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
All joking aside. Should a governmnent ban consumer items? Probably not. And while you can't hold a gun to someone's head and make them start thinking consciously about their consumer choices, I think this case needs to be looked at on a deeper level.

Plastic does not break down. Plastic lasts longer than Twinkies and hot dogs in landfills.

Most people are either too lazy or too careless recycle.

These two things are a point of fact.

Here's a third. You can't throw something "away". There is no "away".

We need to learn this.

Technically, we elect officlals into office to make decisions to help the city / country / whatever run smoothly. We vote them in to make, review and enforce the laws. The problem is that whenever people are called upon to sacrifice a little in order to help this along, they bitch. Everyone wants to be in the club, but nobody wants to pay the dues.

While I consider myself to be a pretty liberal person (i'e', keep the government out of my body, my bedroom, etc), I don't think it's taking our rights away to ban materials that are potentially hazardous to the environment if people refuse to take the necessary steps to relieve that situation on their own.

We monitor them (with the right to vote and carry guns) and they monitor us (with the right to make the laws we vote them in to make). The key problem is that the system relies on both sides being honest, trust worthy, and generally aligned towards the common good. You can't legislate selfishness - you can only punish it.

This was not a case of "Taking away our rights". It was a case of protecting the planet. We may have the ability to damage the environment...but we DO NOT have that right....

[edit on 5-5-2010 by standingwest]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join