It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town BANS selling bottled water... Welcome to Amerika, land of the free!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Paying over 1 dollar for a bottle of water has always pissed me off. It is criminal what they are doing.

I was hanging out with a friend of mine who had just flown into the city and we were at her hotel room. We were hanging out and i became thirsty so i tried to drink some of the tap water. Bad idea, i almost threw up it was so nasty.

It was late and we were a bit wasted and didn't want to walk down to the lobby to buy a 3 dollar bottle of water so we decided to open the bottle of water that was on the desk. Guess how much that cost? FIVE DOLLARS. She then told me at the airport she was thirsty and wanted water for the plane ride so she bought a bottle, guess how much that cost? FOUR DOLLARS.

I could not stop laughing, i seriously laughed for 10 minutes straight. My friend just paid $9 for water in a single day!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c5ee5749fb69.jpg[/atsimg]

Think of all the starving people around the world and what they could have done with the $9 that she wasted on F'ing bottled water. I was beside myself. Thankfully the $5 water was paid for by the company she worked for, if they wouldn't have i would have slapped her in the face.

I think it is highway robbery what people are charging for water.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by FalselyFlagged

Uh, not really but I can see you simply want to rant

Yeah, stupid me. Thinking that in a first class country you should have the right to be able to buy some water to drink is nothing but a silly rant.

I'm the crazy one... Thanks for reminding me.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
There are similar moves afoot in places here in Oz IE to cut down on the amount of plastic bottles being dumped. Yes they're recyclable but the majority are still simply thrown in with the normal trash even though there are specific recycling collections and with the amount of oil going into making, transporting and storing such things as bottled water it makes sense to put some major controls on what appears to be a major waste of valuable resources.

Bottled water has come under the spotlight a lot lately and it's been revealed that the quality of the water is generally less than what comes out of the tap (here in Oz at least and some places are exceptions). It's also been revealed that most bottled water producers actually fill their bottles with tap water regardless of their claims of pristine mountain spring sources as depicted in the fancy labels and some, not all, do filter it first.

There was a bit of an anti-flouride movement here years ago (might still be) and those people had been getting their drinking/cooking water from a nearby real mountain spring for many years believing they were avoiding the evil flouride treatment
. Testing revealed that the spring water they swore by actually contained many times the flouride level of tap water which made sense because it was filtering through a huge amount of rock dissolving minerals along the way. The 'movement' went extremely quiet after that revelation.

As for bottled water and hydration, I've never felt the need to carry a bottle of water unless I was in the wilderness walking for days. Bottled water has turned into something of a fashion accessory we can do without while tap water is just fine here although that's not the case absolutely everywhere.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I was referring to your calling your water bottle from home a colostomy bag. Why is a bottle of water you buy at the store and carry with you not a colostomy bag?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Only plastic bottles that companies cannot reuse would be banned.

Did everyone miss that line or what??
Like Boondock-Saint said only non recyclable bottles would be banned (the above quote from the OP clearly says it as well).

Most common bottled waters are in recyclable bottles. The ban would only affect the ones that are more specialty and in funky bottles.

What is the big deal?
It doesn't say what the OP made it out to be.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I agree, Bottled water is kind of pointless, it is dangerous to your health as the chemicals from the very thin plastic bottle leech into the water.. which in fact is not from a glacier or mountain spring... its treated water from some polluted lake back in America.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Just Saying...

Why is a plastic bottle targeted? What about all of the other 106 Recyclable materials in that town???

Recyclable

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
This is about controlling the water supply even more and being able to regulate and closely watch their flouridation poisoning even better than right now.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

You misunderstand. The ban is on water because, they reason, that you can get water from your tap, but not soda, so there is really no need for these types of bottles for the containment of water. Their reasoning I mind you. So, they're trying to cut down on pollution by eliminating something that should really have no impact on someone's ability to choose who they want to pay for water, unless they only have one supplier and that supplier uses the banned plastic bottles.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Perhaps the "freedom" to use lead based paint in homes and asbestos should be allowed again. They were harmful and were phased out to reduce health risks, but hey, that's trampling on your "freedom" I guess.

Non recylable water bottles? Let them fill all the landfills, huh?

Hogwash.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
So they banned plastic bottles. I guess I really don't see what the big deal is. For my part, I've never seen the logic in paying the exorbitant prices for bottled water, anyway. It probably costs about 10,000 times as much by volume to buy it that way as to just use tap water at home. Think about that next time you just have to have that fancy store bought bottled water.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
For the people who think that this is good thing, I hope you enjoy your tap water filled with toxins and chemicals and when you get cancer in 20 years dont come back on here and tell me that I was right because I already told you to avoid the tap

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hawaiinguy12

Many posters have recommended good filters. The thin plastic in water bottles is dangerous, likely to cause cancer. And bottled water is very ofter tap water.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
So... what about plastic soda bottles...

Be interesting to see what's still sold there, huh

Haha, they always keep selling canned pop and bottled pop even after they ban the water bottles.

I think Proctor and Gamble is sending lobbyists out to these towns.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Geeze.....am I the only one here old enough to remember when BOTTLES were made out of glass?

It is the ABUNDANCE of littering, non-bio-degradable PLASTIC that is used to manufacture these ubiquitous 'bottles'....that is at issue, here.

AND YES! As someone mentioned, the very style of marketing, of....AHEM....water has been clever, because PEOPLE 'buy'' into the hype.

Anyone care to go out, to your local Supermarket, and do some math?

Go, and take your calculator. Scan the shelves, note the prices, and the relative sizes.

You will (hopefully) be both amazed, and shocked, and disgusted by the findings. WE PAY MORE FOR WATER, than for gasoline (petrol), just because of the packaging, and marketing efforts!!!

Oh, and BTW....WATER is not the only liquid marketed and sold in plastic bottles.....

This is untrue. I don't have to go anywhere, i buy lots and lots of water. I purchase my water at HEB Grocery for 2.99 per 24 pack of 0.5 liter bottles. This comes out to 12.48 cents per bottle. Do the math, you get about 94.32 cents a gallon. Well under the price of gasoline (2.79 a gallon currently in my west texas town). Even if i have Culligan deliver it to me (at a cost of 7.61 per case, when i buy a pallet at a time) it only comes out to 2.40 per gallon equivalent.

Now milk, on the other hand, is ridiculous. What is it going for now? 3 bucks a gallon?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Mwahahahaa, if you were sitting next to me, you'd smell crap because I just soiled my self from laughing so hard because, you know, bottled water is tap water, mwahahahahahahaha

There, I did it again. O, yeah, and while we're talking about it. Pepsi and Coke are selling sugar water, mwhahahahha....ouch.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dwellewd
Mwahahahaa, if you were sitting next to me, you'd smell crap because I just soiled my self from laughing so hard because, you know, bottled water is tap water, mwahahahahahahaha

There, I did it again. O, yeah, and while we're talking about it. Pepsi and Coke are selling sugar water, mwhahahahha....ouch.

Except in my town, tap water is brown. bottled water isn't. Hence the advantage to buying bottled water in my town.

Smug is a symptom of myopia. You should have that looked at, along with your incontinence.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawaiinguy12
For the people who think that this is good thing, I hope you enjoy your tap water filled with toxins and chemicals and when you get cancer in 20 years dont come back on here and tell me that I was right because I already told you to avoid the tap

Problem is, most bottled water is just tap water being sold in a bottle.

In fact, I think over 90% of all bottled water is simply city tap. But it sure brings in some mad profits$$$$!

link   

I agree with the ban. If the greedy corporations will not create packaging that is environmentally safe than we must stop consuming their products. All it takes to get filtered water is one of those pitchers with the filter built in, no need to be constantly buying plastic bottles than will end up stacked to the moon.

Our mass consumption is dangerous when what we are consuming is so damaging to the planet and so difficult for the Earth to break down. If the corporations won't take responsibility maybe its time we the consumers do.

link   

Originally posted by FalselyFlagged
In the United States of Amerika you should not be required to carry around your water or die.

Oddly enough I never carry water around with me and haven't died yet..

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join