It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawking: Traveling through Time is Possible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
macedoniaonline.eu...

Stephen Hawking has claimed that humans might one day be able to use time travel to skip generations into the future.

The famous astrophysicist, speaking in a new documentary, said spaceships could one day be capable of such high speeds that time slowed down for those on board.

He admitted he had avoided talking about time travel previously ' for fear of being labelled a crank', saying the subject had once been 'scientific heresy'. 'These days I'm not so cautious,' he said.

Theoretically, such a space ship would allow the crew to repopulate the earth if they found our species had become extinct during their flight.

Stephen Hawking's Universe, in which he makes the comments, will be screened on Discovery next Sunday. In another part of the series he says alien life is likely to exist but that humans should avoid making contact.

Hawking said a spaceship capable of travelling through time - but only forwards - would breach Albert Einstein's theories of relativity.

Having taken six years to reach its full speed of 98 per cent of the speed of light (650million miles per hour), a day on board the ship would be equivalent to a year on Earth, he said, allowing those on board to reach the edge of the galaxy in just 80 years.

This is incredible! Maybe the spaceships we see and call UFO's are actually people from the future who have come to the past. This is not to say there are aliens but that the spaceships we see are actually future humans. Maybe people from the future helped build the pyramids and they are the ones who are depicted on caves. We are actually the gods that the people in biblical days thought were supernatural beings.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Giving this thread a bump.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I've thought that myself... but the article clearly states that we would only be able to travel FORWARD... not backwards. Sorry chum, no future people for us. But they could be people from the past.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I wonder why he thinks people should refrain from making contact? Afterall it is too late for some already and no harm came from it.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Or maybe Hawking is a brainiac super nerd genius with an overactive imagination.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

So,
Hawking didnt "speak of it before"
because he didnt want to be labeled as a "crank"..
The very same thing he [for years] called the people who were into "ufo's"
and who have had UFO experiences , or "believed" in time travel..

he had no problem calling others a "crank".....
when in reality.. he is one of the very same 'cranks' he publicly degraded.

guess what hawking...
there are others who are far ahead of you pal.

you jumped on the wagon too late..
and talked too much %^$# for too long.
ohh, and a 'fear based' hypocrite. real nice.

Boo, stephen hawking.
you CRANK!

p.s.. yes it's possible. lol :p
[edit on 5-5-2010 by Ahmose]

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Ahmose]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Hawkin's intelligence is overrated. So are most of the "inspired" things he says. Not saying that he's not smart, but he is nowhere near the top scientific mind out there.

As for time travel, I doubt it. "Theoretical physics" are much more theory than reality. Not that I don't think freaky things can be done, but if we're really going to ever travel through time, it's not going to be figured out for a very long time.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Avarus
I've thought that myself... but the article clearly states that we would only be able to travel FORWARD... not backwards. Sorry chum, no future people for us. But they could be people from the past.

This is true, but Hawking has little to do with it, we have known about this form of future time travel possibility since Einstein. So yes future time travel is possible.

Maybe time travel into the past is impossible, but we certainly have no idea how to do it.

If grays were real (I have my doubts) they look sort of like what humans might be expected to evolve into, so it seems to me they are just as likely if not more likely to be time travelers from the future rather than aliens from another star system. For one thing I'd expect aliens to look more, well, alien instead of a bipedal humanoid that looks so much like us.

In fact since we are just speculating about what they are, it may be easier to build a time machine than a warp drive. But I suspect they grays are just figments of our sci-fi imagination.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

My thoughts exactly.
Boo Stephen Hawking you cranky weirdo!

top topics

join