It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Benedict says Shroud of Turin authentic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The shroud went on public display April 10 for the first time in a decade.
Pope Benedict prayed in front of the Shroud at St. John the Baptist Cathedral in Turin on Sunday ,after the service the Pope said the cloth “wrapped the remains of a crucified man in full correspondence with what the Gospels tell us of Jesus.”

Benedict was much less equivocal on Sunday when he prayed in front of the cloth at St. John the Baptist Cathedral in Turin, Italy, saying afterwards in a “meditation” that it was "an icon written in blood; the blood of a man who was whipped, crowned with thorns, crucified, and injured on his right side."

New research claims to show authenticity In November, a researcher in the Vatican’s secret archives claimed that using computer enhancement she found the words “Jesus Nazarene” on the shroud. Historian Barbara Frale said computer analysis of photographs of the shroud revealed the words written extremely faint in Greek, Aramaic, and Latin.

www.csmonitor.com...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
Pope Benedict says Shroud of Turin authentic

www.csmonitor.com...

uh.. yeah... he believes in a ton of other fairy tales too, or at least publicly says he does. Why would this fairy tale be any different?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
how great would it be if he were praying to the cloth of the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar, Jacques de Molay?!? That would be so awesome!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

What does it matter? The Pope has no credibility anymore, undoubtedly some will still follow him but after all the scandals and follies there really is no reason to.

Everyone has a different opinion on the Shroud but my question about it always was "So what if it is real?"... What power does a burial shroud have? Did some of Jesus' pixie dust rub off on it?

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Pope Benedict also says that its perfectly fine for priests to rape boys, and they need to get back to work... No quitting for pedophile priests.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but for some reason I don't trust the man on anything he says.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Being authentic and being "fully consistent with" are two distinct attainments. There's an Eiffel Tower in Las Vegas that is "fully consistent with" the one in Paris. Well, except for the wedding chapel in the Vegas tower.

Unintentionally probably, the Op's first subquote is decpetive, as the poster placed it. Benedict's two pronouncements restate one another. The second is not "less equiviocal" than the first. What it is less equivocal than is a quote by a different Pope who punted on the whole question.

So, the Pope didn't say the shroud was authentic. I am surprised at the Monitor. Their headline writers usually read the stories which they caption.

And what if the Pope did say it? How the hell would he know?

And what if he did know? I would assume he was telling the truth about what he knew... why? because of his candor about the underage sex scandals?

Let me guess, he'd be "less than candid" about that, but not about this

[edit on 4-5-2010 by eight bits]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

It would be interesting if the shroud were proved to be authentic because science would have to explain how the image was imprinted on the sheet.
There would have had to of been some powerful process occurring to transmit the image of the body to the sheet , and it has lasted 2000 years.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Yeah, one thing is for sure though, if it were proven authentic scientists wouldn't be able to even get their hands on it, people would be bringing offerings to see it. Always amazes me how much idolatry goes on in the Catholic church, crucifixes, statues of saints, statues of Mary.. I seem to remember idol worship being bad in the Bible

If science did have to figure it out they would be able to, eventually, they most certainly wouldn't put "Must be a miracle" on their final report

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The Shroud is authentic. It's an authentic icon that somebody created to show what they imagined the burial shroud might look like, to encourage worshippers.

Here's an interesting website showing what such a burial shroud would really look like, with distortions and folds and everything else:

Shroud of Turin Experiments

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
pardon me for being a doubting Thomas
but I wonder how he came to this
conclusion. What proof does he have??

Also, if it is truly the shroud of Jesus

why can't they take DNA samples from it
and make a clone ???
Or has anybody else thought of this ???

[edit on 4-5-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
pardon me for being a doubting Thomas
but I wonder how he came to this
conclusion. What proof does he have??

Also, if it is truly the shroud of Jesus

why can't they take DNA samples from it
and make a clone ???
Or has anybody else thought of this ???

[edit on 4-5-2010 by boondock-saint]

There is no proof that a Magical Dude named Jesus is really that person. Just because a name was "found" doesn't necessarily mean that it's true.

As for the DNA sample, the Church will never do that. Ever. Not because in their eyes, cloning is wrong, and we would be playing God, but because of this truth:

The only REAL reason not to take a sample and clone it is because the world would then find out exactly who "Christ" was.

Just a man.

Never walked on water.

Never turned water into wine.

Never healed the sick.

Not the Son of God.

The Church can get away with saying that aliens were the Angels everyone saw in biblical times.

But, if a clone of Christ existed today, and couldn't perform all those miracles, the Church would be screwed.

All the billions of dollars they extort from those who have blind faith, and all power they wield would be lost.

That's why.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

" Pope Benedict says Shroud of Turin authentic "

He is Correct . it is a Authentic 13Th Century FAKE...........

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Bouy,O Bouy, O Bouy!.................The Pope believes in a bit of cloth that belonged to the son of god and pray's...what about all the fathers and mothers that have had their sons (daughters) violated by the church............

[edit on 4-5-2010 by vesta]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I Guess some of you then believe in Prophet Muhammad ?

Wheres the proof for Prophet Muhammad?

I am just saying.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
No one has been able to prove anything conclusive on the shroud.

It would be nearly impossible to forge what is shown, especially in the 13th century.

This has nothing to do with pedophiles, so get off of it, and stick to the subject at hand.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

join