It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unamerican people need to leave America

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

HOW TO GET LOADS OF FLAGS ON ATS

1#Make up a quirky title thread that provokes anger and argument.

MESSAGE TO O.P:- I have no compassion for people like you, go join a spin driven newspaper team, or otherwise end your life supply.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

HOW TO GET LOADS OF FLAGS ON ATS

1#Make up a quirky title thread that provokes anger and argument.

MESSAGE TO O.P:- I have no compassion for people like you, go join a spin driven newspaper team, or otherwise end your life supply.

I should care what you think when you need to take the concept of the thread from the title and not what is posted in the first post?

Yeah. Okay.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

North and South America are two different landmasses on two different tectonic plates and seperated by the Caribbean plate and the Cocos plate.

A better arguement could be made that Europe and Asia are one continent as they lie on the same tectonic plate. Ironically part of Siberia and Japan lie on the North American plate but are considered part of Asia.

When refering to the Americas we refer to two continents hence the plural use of Americas.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

Like I said that is how it is taught in north america but the rest of the world refers to it as a single continent.

EDIT - Maybe not the rest of the world but certainly the rest of the Americas.

Oh and even if you use the term Americas because of the two land masses the people of both north america, which now includes all countries down to Panama (NAU anyone), and south america are still Americans.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by daskakik]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

I should care what you think when you need to take the concept of the thread from the title and not what is posted in the first post?

Yeah. Okay.

Was offering my OPINION to those who waste time in these threads.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Outside of citizens of the United States no other nation or government on either of the 2 continents refers to their citizens as Americans. There is no single American continent geologically or geographically. While the Latin American nations may prefer to use other terms for United States citizens and mainly in a perjorative and derogatory fashion. The United Nations and most other countries use the term American to refer to citizens of the United States.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Well I am outside the USA and in my country we consider ourselves americans and from what the other poster said so do Brazilians.

I get many channels from different countries in north and south america, including the Carribbean, on TV and they all consider themselves Americans.

Like I said before, I was educated in the states, and also believed that American only refered to US citizens but I have since learned otherwise.

EDIT - Just wanted to add that in most latin american countries US citizens are refered to as "Estado Unidenses" which translates to "United Statziens".

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

LOL you sound so sure of what you say but nothing is right..you should leave America!! hahahaha

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Yes, they are Americans in the sense that the French are European. Common usage of the term American refers to a citizen of the United States of America.

Outside of the internet I have never met anyone from any of the nations of either continent refer to themselves as Americans and on the internet when they do it is usually to try and screw with a citizen of the United States. It is a way to demean US Citizens and nothing more.

If say Brazil wins the World Cup they arent going to award the World Cup to Americans they will award it to Brazilians, and if the French were to win the World Cup they arent going to Award it to Europeans.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gloster

What have I said that is not right? expand please

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The mainland of the Americas is the longest north-to-south landmass on Earth. At its longest, it stretches roughly 14,000 kilometres, from the Boothia PeninsulaBoothia PeninsulaBoothia Peninsula is a large peninsula in Nunavut's northern Canadian Arctic, south of Somerset Island. The northern part, Murchison Promontory, is the northernmost point of mainland Canada, and thus North America....
in northern Canada to Cape Froward in Chilean PatagoniaPatagoniaPatagonia is a geographic region containing the southernmost portion of South America. Located in Argentina and Chile, it comprises the southernmost portion of the Andes mountains to the west and south, and plateaux and low plains to the east. The name Patagonia comes from the word patagón used by...
. The westernmost point of the mainland of the Americas is the end of the Seward PeninsulaSeward PeninsulaThe Seward Peninsula is a large peninsula on the western coast of the U.S. state of Alaska. It projects about into the Bering Sea between Norton Sound, the Bering Strait, the Chukchi Sea, and Kotzebue Sound, just below the Arctic Circle...
in Alaska, while Ponta do Seixas in northeastern Brazil forms the mainland's easternmost extremity.

America/Americas

While many in the United States of America and other countries generally refer to the country as America and US residents/citizens as Americans, many people elsewhere in the Americas resent what they perceive as misappropriation of the term in this context and, thus, this usage is frequently avoided. In Canada, their southern neighbor is seldom referred to as "America", with the United States, the U.S., or (informally) the States used instead. English dictionaries and compendiums differ regarding usage and rendition.

English usage

Whether usage of America or the Americas is preferred, American is a self-referential term for many people living in the Americas. However, much of the English-speaking world uses the word to refer solely to a citizen, residentDemographics of the United StatesAs of October 20th 2009, the United States has a total resident population of 308 million. It is a very urbanized nation, with 81% of the population residing in cities and suburbs as of mid-2005 . The mean population center of the United States has consistently shifted westward and southward, with...
, or nationalNationalityNationality is the relationship between a person and their state of origin, culture, association, affiliation and/or loyalty. Nationality affords the state jurisdiction over the person and affords the person the protection of the state....
of the United States of America. Instead, the word pan-AmericanPan-AmericanPan-American or Pan American may refer to:*Pan-Americanism, an integrationist movement among the nations of the Americas*Pan American Union, later the Organization of American States*Pan American Health Organization*Pan-American Highway...
is sometimes used as an unambiguous adjective to refer to the Americas.

In addition, many Canadians resent being referred to as Americans because of mistaken assumptions that they are U.S. citizens or an inability—particularly of people overseas—to distinguish Canadian EnglishCanadian EnglishCanadian English is the variety of English used in Canada. More than 26 million Canadians have some knowledge of English . Approximately 17 million speak English as their native language. Outside Quebec, 76% of Canadians speak English natively...
and American EnglishAmerican EnglishAmerican English is a set of dialects of the English language used mostly in the United States. Approximately two thirds of native speakers of English live in the United States.English is the most common language in the United States...
accentsAccent (linguistics)In linguistics, an accent is a manner of pronunciation of a language. Accents can be confused with dialects which are varieties of language differing in vocabulary, syntax, and morphology, as well as pronunciation...

Spanish usage

In Spanish, América is the name of a region considered a single continent composed of the subcontinentSubcontinentA subcontinent is a large, relatively self-contained landmass forming a subdivision of a continent. By dictionary entries, the term subcontinent signifies "having a certain geographical or political independence" from the rest of the continent, or "a vast and more or less self-contained subdivision...
s of Sudamérica and Norteamérica, the land bridgeLand bridgeA land bridge, in biogeography, is an isthmus or wider land connection between otherwise separate areas, which allows terrestrial animals and plants to cross over and colonise new lands...
of Centroamérica, and the islands of the AntillasAntillesThe Antilles refers to the islands forming the greater part of the West Indies in the Caribbean Sea...
. Americano/a in Spanish refers to a person from América in a similar way that europeo or europea refers to a person from Europa. The terms sudamericano/a, centroamericano/a, antillano/a and norteamericano/a can be used to more specifically refer to the location where a person may live.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Gloster]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Portuguese usage

In Portuguese, the word americano refers to the whole of the Americas. But, in Brazil and Portugal, it is widely used to refer to the citizens of the United States. The least ambiguous term, estadunidense (used more frequently in Brazil) or estado-unidense (used more frequently in Portugal), something like "United Statian" or "estadounidense" in Spanish language), and "ianque"—the Portuguese version of "Yankee"—are rarely used.
América, however, is rarely used as synonym to the country, and almost never in print and in more formal environments, where the US is called either Estados Unidos da América (i.e. United States of America) or simply Estados Unidos (i.e. United States). There is some difference between the usage of these words in Portugal and in Brazil, with the Portuguese being more prone to apply the term América to the country.

French usage

In French, as in English, the word Américain can be confusing as it can be used to refer either to the United States, or to the American continents.

The noun Amérique sometimes refers to the whole as one continent, and sometimes two continents, southern and northern; the United States is generally referred to as les États-Unis d'Amérique, les États-Unis, or les USA. However, the usage of Amérique to refer to the United States, while technically not correct, does still have some currency in France.

The adjective américain is most often used for things relating to the United States; however, it may also be used for things relating to the American continents. Books by United States authors translated from English are often described as "traduit de l'américain".

Things relating to the United States can be referred to without ambiguity by the words états-unien, étasunien, or étatsunien, although their usage is rare.

Dutch usage

In Dutch, the word Amerika mostly refers to the United States. Although the United States is equally often referred to as de Verenigde Staten or de VS, Amerika relatively rarely refers to the Americas, but it is the only commonly used Dutch word for the Americas. This often leads to ambiguity and to stress that something concerns the Americas as a whole, Dutch uses a combination, namely Noord- en Zuid Amerika (North and South America).

Latin America is generally referred to as Latijns Amerika or, less frequently, Zuid Amerika (South America).

The adjective amerikaans is most often used for things or people relating to the United States. There are no alternative words to distinguish between things relating to the United States or to the Americas. Dutch uses the local alternative for things relating to elsewhere in the Americas, such as Argentijns for Argentinian etc.

Russian usage

In the 19th century in Russia the word "America" was used for a traditional continent such as Europe and Asia. In the 20th century these traditional continents are known as "parts of the world". Now the term "continent" means any of six large continuous landmasses (Eurasia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, and Australia). Now the word Ameriсa refers to the United States more often than to America as a "part of the world". There is no term equivalent to "Americas" in Russian.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Your copy and paste from Wikipedia is pretty much proving my point on the use of American worldwide to refer to citizens of the United States. I dont want to drag any further afield this thread any further with this issue.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
Yes, they are Americans in the sense that the French are European. Common usage of the term American refers to a citizen of the United States of America.

Outside of the internet I have never met anyone from any of the nations of either continent refer to themselves as Americans and on the internet when they do it is usually to try and screw with a citizen of the United States. It is a way to demean US Citizens and nothing more.

If say Brazil wins the World Cup they arent going to award the World Cup to Americans they will award it to Brazilians, and if the French were to win the World Cup they arent going to Award it to Europeans.

I'm not trying to demean anyone. I'm just saying that, perhaps, in the last 20 or 30 years latin americans have realized that Citizens of the US are not the only ones who have a claim to the label of American.

That is not to say that American is not usually associated with US citizens.

The reason we don't commonly refer to ourselves as americans is because that label is usually only used when we are refering to multiple nations in latin america or all of latin america. When we refer to ourselves on a national or personal level we will use our nationality.

Like I said in my first post. I have no problem with the fact or acknowleding the fact that "Americans" is a common name used for citizens of the US but the fact also stands that all citizens of The Americans are also considered Americans whether it is commonly used or not.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

what wrong with copy and paste? dont we all learn reading, somthing that you did not do, what i copy and pasted proves you wrong! but you dont get it so just think what you want. Im not going to copy and paste to show you more, just read from wiki

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Here you see people do educate themself with wikipedia you can do it too!! here you can read with little music
oh and im not mexican but they are right to call themself Americans

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
reply to post by Cains

Who ever came up with these Natural Laws? Who ever came up with gravity? It must have only come into play sometime after Sir Isaac Newton wrote it down on paper, thereby legislating for humanity some sort of anchor to this world. Monkeys don't swing from tree to tree wondering who ever gave them the right to do so, and lions don't hunt their prey wondering who gave them the right to do so, and when a rogue lion decides to take on a village of humans, humans don't wonder who gave them the right to hunt that lion. Dogs don't wonder who gave them the right to wag their tails and remain forever loyal to the humans that love them, they just do it by right.

Claiming Natural Law is just some name for some laws made a long time ago by U.S. legislatures reveals a profound ignorance on your part of how far back the understanding of Natural Rights go. We get what you're trying to say, and you are saying that we should not view our Rights as sacrosanct and sacred, and one can only imagine why you make this argument, but it sure as hell ain't in defense of human Rights and freedom, for surely as long as Inalienable Rights are understood to be so, governments will have a hell of a time convincing people to give them up, but if they listen to you and others like you, then it is far easier to convince them to give up their Rights for some unnamed "greater good".

You spend two paragraphs attempting to dismiss Natural Rights, and then turn around and speak of consent of the governed, seemingly not understanding that if the governed have no rights outside what is granted them by government, that government needs no consent to govern.

Lol, this was a fail since he said the people need the government's consent......not the other way around. Learn to read before you criticize, after all the guy has a good point. I don't know where you got the "greater good" crap since his whole explanation is against that......Really, all the rights should have a point to them instead of us thinking they should be there since it seems "right." Another funny thing, he's talking on a post about America and addressing how long AMERICA had defined what THEY thought as natural rights......not how the world defined them. So you saying he's ignorant because you went off topic is just stupid. The entire post is about who should not be allowed inside the US and why, natural rights is just one of the factors in this and only how they are looked in the US matters here.

What your saying: The government should give us these because it's morally "right" to us.

What he's saying: The government should give us rights because it makes sense, and from this we can gain more rights that actually make SENSE and aren't from your personal morals.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

A hyphenated-American is a second class citizen by self-definition.

That is because if you are part something else, you are not an American. An American is someone who left the old country behind to move to America because it was a better place.

If you want to make America like the old country, then you a Fifth-Columnist not an American.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Gloster

I am a "Native American", because I was born in Illinois, not because of the race of my ancestors.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by The LMG

What your saying: The government should give us these because it's morally "right" to us.

Before addressing the empty rhetoric that came before this remark, let's start with this one since you quoted the entirety of my reply to that other poster. In that post I make clear that Natural Rights are Inalienable Rights. Only an ignoramus would take what I said and turn around and say that what I am saying it that a government should give us Rights. Regardless of how many times Inalienable has been defined in this thread, some idiot comes along and pretends that definitions are irrelevant.

Lol, this was a fail since he said the people need the government's consent......not the other way around. Learn to read before you criticize, after all the guy has a good point.

Since I was a child, I have known the dunces who fail epically in school, but run around calling those who obtained and education and did more than pass, but passed with outstanding grade, and the dunce will call them a failure. It is a remarkable phenomenon that just won't go away. Why don't you learn to read before criticizing. In fact, read your own words, before I actually quote what that poster said:

Another funny thing, he's talking on a post about America and addressing how long AMERICA had defined what THEY thought as natural rights......not how the world defined them.

Now here is what that poster said that you are referring to:

It's all up to the debate of the people with the consent of the government in which you reside.

Now take a look at what you wrote again, genius. Perhaps you've never read the Constitution for the United States, and have no idea what the Preamble say's, but it makes clear that the People are that government, that is they who created that government and when they are governed they do so by consent. Thus, when the other poster say's it's all up to the debate of the people with the consent of the government, that is the same as saying then consent of the governed when referring to The United States of America. Get it? Probably not.

So you saying he's ignorant because you went off topic is just stupid.

I never accused the poster of going off topic, this is your inability to read, I did accuse him of ignorance, and now I am accusing you of ignorance as well.

The entire post is about who should not be allowed inside the US and why, natural rights is just one of the factors in this and only how they are looked in the US matters here.

Wrong again, neither that post, nor the entirety of this thread, is about immigration, and is about Natural and Inalienable Rights, and how too many people wish to frame those Rights as legal rights, and the poster of whom I responded to, only mentioned immigration in his final paragraph, and this whole immigration issue is just a distraction in this thread. All People have Inalienable Rights, and in The United States of America, the government is legally bound to honor those Rights. Get a clue.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20 >>

join