It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much time do you spend thinking about your own mortality?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I know we all think about it, it just seems sometimes that I'm thinking about it an inordinate amount of time lately.

Does anyone else feel this way? Do you find yourself thinking about the how, the when? Thinking about in what way you might react to news of your impending death?

My thoughts are actually pretty fantastical, even to the point of entertaining, as most of my thoughts are, but I'm bordering on obsession lately.

Is this healthy? Maybe I'm feeling guilty about allowing myself to become a lardass. No offense to my fellow lardasses.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I honestly don't think about it too much.

Just a question. Are you afraid of death, even on a sub-conscious level?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
hell no.

i dont mean to be inflammatory im just real passionate on the subject. There is not a bigger waste of time
imo

[edit on 5/4/10 by CSquared288]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DeltaChaos

I accept its reality on a subconscious level all the time (I think?). But its only when someone dies or once in a while that it actually hits me full force if you know what I mean. I think it is good to accept it, but some people do horrible things under the justification "you only live once", so there are definitely two sides to it.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
thinking about mortality makes it more easy to live because you realize that your time is limited.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I think it could be healthy, if you some how find a way to even entertain the thoughts and turn them into action. I myself former/recovering lardass, have thought about the many ways that I could meet my demise, and then one day, I decided that no matter how harmful, or harmless my thoughts about my potential demise was I was going to be a survivor, and fight it any way that I could.
I feared starvation, if stores were to close, so I started a garden, I feared fema camps, and moved to the middle of nowhere, I even started becoming a soverign citizen (slowly but surely), and now I am happy to say that when I think about I know that I am at least a step ahead and I now dont fear as much as I did.

Hope this helped.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by chronzilla

god, what?

i, for one, prefer to not use fear as a motivator. i mean, im not saying that using the knowledge of your impending death doesn't work; to each his own, yknow?

i would just rather enjoy my life because i'm alive, not because i'm going to die someday

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I think about it a lot. I'll admit that I'm terrified of dying because I'm afraid of what's going to happen to me after I die. I don't necessarily believe in hell, but if there is such a place then I can be sure that I'm going to go there if the bible is to be beleived.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I spent a whole lot of time thinking about this at too young of an age. For the last 15 years, I've been worrying about the death of humanity, destruction of civilization. I first thought about death deeply in maybe first grade or so. Ever since sixth grade, it's been all about thinking along the lines of, "how in the heck are we going to get through this stage of mass ignorance and arrogance" ?!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
As a fellow lardass, I'm not at all offended by that statement. It's extremely hard to not be a lardass, so I have great confidence that you will be squeezing into constricting booths and furtively shopping at the big & tall shop with the rest of us for quite some time. I never worry about death. I just hope mine is a spectacular bloody mess that gets on TV.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I can honestly say that I don't think about it.

I think about things like what it will be like if my wife dies before me, and how I will react when my parents or sister pass.

As for myself, I don't really give it much time. I know that I can deal with my own death.. face it with a smile with the memories I have.. but losing others is a little different.. I think I am better equipped to deal with my own death.

EDIT: S&F. Good conversation.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by broahes]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
Just a question. Are you afraid of death, even on a sub-conscious level?

I wouldn't say I'm afraid of death as much as I'm afraid of pain. That's a real thing. Death is really too abstract an idea to create fear for me.

I also fear loss. There are things going on in my life that are pretty exciting for me. If you were to see my life, and how I'm currently living it, you'd probably think I would die of boredom, but I'm pretty focused on what I'm doing, and that drives me.

I have really specific, attainable, written-down goals, and more than anything, I would really hate to not be able to achieve them because of some death type time constraint.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

How noble of you. If I were to be honest then I would tell you that the death of humanity or any other living being outside of my immediate family has never even entered my thoughts, and also that I couldn't care less about it. Lie is too short to spend worrying about everyone else. I try to take care of the people who depend on me the most and hope that the rest of you will do the same. That's all that can be asked of you and that is all that you should have to give.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

I'm not that big yet. Although, I have seen some pretty nice shirts at the Big & Tall stores.

lolz @ bloody messes, for sure!

[edit on 4-5-2010 by DeltaChaos]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
im only trying to help here, so please dont get on me about whether or not i am to be believed and why, ill simply tell you what i believe and you can take it as you want to.

There is no heaven and hell in the sense that your thinking of. THe only heaven or hell that exists is what we create on this planet, in this existence. its the only one we have. What you and I are is a reflection of god himself. If god grew up in within your life scenario, you are what he would ahve ended you like. There are no right or wrong decisions, there is only what is or is not. You cannot offend god wioth your actions, because that is to assume you can think of things god is unable to. get that idea out of your head because YOU ARE GOD. positive intentions bring about positive results, negative to intentions bring about negative results. we are here to experience, nothing else. the most direct means god has for communicating with YOU, personally, is through your emotions and desires. god wont get pissed of at you for doing anything; he'll only get pissed off if you do things that you dont want to. It can be because someone else told you to, or because you think you have to. either way THATS blasphemey.

excuse me while i go pay my student loans

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

No disrespect, but I bet that you won't be smiling when the time comes. It's in your nature to do everything that you can to survive, and if you do happen to see it coming then I'd imagine that it will be the worst feeling that you could possibly experience. The anticipation would be a killer..pun intended.

And on top of that very instinct that we all possess and are burdened with, it isn't possible to tie up all of the loose ends in life and be ready to die. There will always be something that you had wanted to do and didn't get the chance. There will always be someone that you didn't set things straight with. You will not leave this life with a clean slate. It's not possible.

I hope for your sake that it happens quick enough that you don't know it happened at all. I would want that for myself aswell.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CSquared288

Cool CSquared. That's about exactly what I believe.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1
reply to post by broahes

I hope for your sake that it happens quick enough that you don't know it happened at all. I would want that for myself aswell.

'Cause every hand's a winner and every hand's a loser,
And the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep.'

-Kenny Rogers, "The Gambler"

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RMFX1

I seriously doubt it, but who knows.. you might just be right. It's a turn off when a stranger pretends to know you better than yourself though.

I will surely be smiling.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
As haughty as it may sound, I don't, this life is one of many and when I am done here I will move on to my next life. I wish only for a clean death and the hope that I meet my end with my honor intact.

I think people worry so much about how and when they will move on they forget to live, and that is a shame, but who can blame them really when that is all you hear about daily is about how this is happening and thats happening, the newest terrorist alerts, the newest disease etc etc. Fear is a tool and a useless emotion, learn to let it go and then you will be truly free to live.

Just my 2 pence worth.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join