It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet robonaut: NASA's humanoid robot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Meet robonaut: NASA's humanoid robot

www.cosmosmagazine.com/news

HUNTSVILLE, USA: Astronauts on board the International Space Station will have a new roommate in September 2010 - and it's not human.

It's a humanoid. Space shuttle Discovery will deliver Robonaut 2 - "R2" for short - to the ISS, where it will become the first humanoid robot to travel and work in space.

Developed jointly by NASA and General Motors, R2 looks a bit like C-3PO of Star Wars fame but lacks the chatty robot's gift of gab.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
This robot seems to be a very promising endeavor in the field of robotics. I can't wait to have these guys marketed to the public as servants, maids, assistants, and even secretaries.

Just look at all the technologies that are commercialized that began with NASA.

GROUND PROCESSING SCHEDULING SYSTEM
SEMICONDUCTOR CUBING
STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS
AIR QUALITY MONITOR
VIRTUAL REALITY
ENRICHED BABY FOOD
WATER PURIFICATION SYSTEM
SCRATCH-RESISTANT LENSES
POOL PURIFICATION
RIBBED SWIMSUIT
GOLF BALL AERODYNAMICS
PORTABLE COOLERS/WARMERS
SPORTS TRAINING
ATHLETIC SHOES
MICROSPHERES
SOLAR ENERGY
WEATHER FORECASTING AID
FOREST MANAGEMENT

Are robots like the ones seen in the film, "I, Robot" next?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Wow this is a cool breakthrough, and an even cooler robot. S+F

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire
This robot seems to be a very promising endeavor in the field of robotics. I can't wait to have these guys marketed to the public as servants, maids, assistants, and even secretaries.

Or maybe working on a major oil spill???

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by redeyedwonder

I know, right? But I highly doubt R2 is equipped to handle catastrophic oil spoils right now. He needs some time to develop

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Pretty wild stuff! But what happens when R2 turns on it's master?

"Our robot can 'see,' and it takes only 2 to 6 seconds for the video to get to us, so we can observe in near real time.
(For comparison, the one-way video travel time from Mars is typically more than 10 minutes.)

If we see R2 doing something that isn't working, we can immediately tell it, 'Stop that. Try this instead.'"

Whew! Glad someone considered it. But wait... 2-6 seconds is a long time to survive a robot attack...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Thats fantastic,robots are starting to get more & more advanced as the years go by.
my one problem is will we the general public ever see these in action in space,on the moon or even mars ?
it's great they have this technology & i really hope it gives us a better look at other plants without puting humans at risk

top topics

join