It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy Experimental Military Boat Hits the Potomac

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
M Ship’s Stiletto Nabs Smugglers After High-speed Chase

The U.S. military's Stiletto research craft was on display in the Potomac River just outside Washington D.C., and drew a lot of attention because of its looks and mission.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5d39e62234d3.jpg[/atsimg]The Stiletto is described as the largest all-carbon power boat in the world. Its four Caterpillar engines give the craft enough pep to speed through rough seas at up to 35 knots.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7502534c7771.jpg[/atsimg]While the 78 ton boat has been deployed on several missions supporting drug enforcement operations in Central and South America, its more significant contribution is to help the military develope future technologies.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/902728f502e0.jpg[/atsimg]
Over the past four years the Pentagon has essentially used Stiletto as a test laboratory. Private companies including major military contractors like Lockheed Martin work with military officials to install their latest inventions on the boat. Then under the direction of the Department of Defense the new technology is integrated with existing systems and Stiletto is taken out to sea for exercises.

An official familiar with the program says it takes about two months to get everything scheduled and because the program is funded directly through the Defense Secretary's office, Stiletto bypasses a lot of red tape normally associated with military programs.

Source: www.foxnews.com...

I just love this stuff. New Tech. I hope they use it properly and efficiently. Please see the source for more pics and info. A sign of things to come.

Here is a story I found on some research capibilities it was utilized for
)

www.prlog.org...

[edit on 5/4/2010 by anon72]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
it is cool but was never meant to be a deployable asset... just a research testbed...It wasn't designed with berthing, a galley or fresh-water production.
from another story

"Everyone seems to focus on the hull form, and they miss the electronic keel," he said. "It's a fancy Ethernet, one gigabyte, that runs from the bow to the stern and allows plug-and-play capabilities. Whatever sensor you bring on board you can install it quickly. Say you bring on a camera. You can mount the camera in a few hours, then plug in your laptop and see what the camera is displaying. It doesn't care what software you're using, what your power supply needs are. It helps streamline the experimental process and facilitate the rapid testing of technologies."

Link to that stroy

yeah I live this stuff too S&F

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Nice, but the Sea Shadow was way cooler in my opinion.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
If that is a helicopter landing pad on the top then I think it's pretty awesome.

Is that a heli pad?

[edit on 4-5-2010 by ALLis0NE]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

Yes it is, and though it's an awesome boat indeed, the first time I saw that Sea Shadow in the James Bond movie I thought it was the coolest stealth thing since the SR-71 blackbird and I still think it is.

But this is more for technological testing than for stealth I guess with the helicopter platform.

looks mighty fast though.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic Yes it is, and though it's an awesome boat indeed, the first time I saw that Sea Shadow in the James Bond movie I thought it was the coolest stealth thing since the SR-71 blackbird and I still think it is.

Stealthy?

What? With that massive wake? You call that stealthy?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
i recall a thread where we discussed stealth ships from way back. yup! here it is:

World Stealth Warships

hey! i even posted about the Stiletto on that thread.

EDIT: for video goodness

[edit on 5.5.10 by toreishi]

top topics

join